Surf

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Surf

Post by karstopo »

Took the afternoon off. Wasted a few minutes retrieving deer hair divers out of branches at the house. Took a look at the 80 pound kayak and all the stuff on top of it...naw, I think I’ll hit the surf instead.

Surf fishing means many things to many people. Today, for me it meant grab the 8/9 weight Short Stix fly Rod and a couple of 9” x 4” boxes of flies. Drive over to Quintana and look at the water.

The water was sandy, at least in close. Offshore, it looked like Bermuda. The wind was pretty benign and something like out of the east. Wind from the east, Fish bite the least. Drove the beach not seeing much. Decided to stop and fish a gut that looked better than the rest.

Really quickly, I get a good take. Not ready. Try again. Try and succeed if a 15” trout means success. Any fish, excluding ladyfish, are a success for me. Take a photo, try again. I got a good take and run, but put too much pressure on the fish and it came off. %@#$&@ it, it happens.

Get another take, but this one is quick and done. I’ve waded about 100-150 yards of gut 4-5 times by now. If there’s gold here, I can’t find it.

Pulled up stakes and headed off to another place. Danced around with another wader staying about 100 yards apart for a time. We quit about the same time and compared notes. He hadn’t seen a fly guy out there. We have both liked pink lately. He caught some good fish earlier in the week, but this afternoon was a bust. I headed on home at 5:00ish and saw him stop and try another spot.

It’s the searching that’s fun. Catching is fun too. ImageImage
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Surf

Post by kickingback »

Nice! Put the pretty pink to good use! Well done Sir!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the great report, Karstopo!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Went back this morning. Waded in a bit after sunrise. A shark struck (I saw it first), it's shark week isn't it, and took off with my pink Borski Slider. Put on another one with some wire bite tippet, but the wire was too stiff so I went back to the fluorocarbon. From 7:30-8:15, five trout from 16-20" came to hand, all on the pink Borski Slider. The fish wanted it stripped in fast.

Water was sandy. No current to speak of. Fish were just out about 60 feet from minimal break. Left them biting as work duties called. ImageImageImageImage
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good stuff karst! :clap:
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I hope we get conditions like that when we go in late September. We're taking the yaks to fish the bay but plan for one day wading the surf as well. Great post Karst!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great conditions to fly fish the surf! Nice!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report karst. Getting excited for my trip coming up! We are going this weekend. come say hi if you see me out there! I'll have two little terrors with me (4 and 1 year old). Look for the kid with a lighting mcqueen rod lol.

I'll look out for a fly guy heh.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

My terrors are much older and more expensive. Enjoy them while they are still mostly fun.

I’m not sure I’ll be out there again this weekend, but I’ll keep an eye out if I do.
PeterPP

Post by PeterPP »

nice fish :D
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Couldn’t let karstopo have all the fun. Of course, by the time you hear about it, it’s usually too late. But, with cream puff conditions still on the surfcam Fri, buddy and I took off work early. Hit Jamaica Beach at 3:30. And of course, things don’t stay the same for long in the surf, arrived to a brisk S wind and sandy green water, but that’s OK, still very fishable. I used the fly rod, my buddy conventional arties. Frothed the water till sundown, my buddy caught a nice smack, I got one solid bump that felt like something small, that was it. Guy fishing plugs next to us said we should have been here yesterday, they killed on specks. Yep, heard that before.
Smelled skunk the whole way home.
The surf is a fickle lady.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Yep. I stopped going to surf when I realized that about 90% of my surf trips are failures. Forecast is near useless. You simply gotta live down there -- wake up in the morning, look outside, if it is good -- go fishing, if no -- go back to sleep. Trying to fish surf with 1.5h drive just not worth the effort.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Man, I would have to agree. I should know better by now, must be a slow learner.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

Not bad at all
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

http://saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/
This link is pretty helpful seeing in real time what the surf is up to. I use it to plan trips.
http://tabs.gerg.tamu.edu/Tglo/ndbc.php?buoy=42019
This buoy has wind and wave data that’s helpful.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Win ... n=USTX0499
This wind forecast site helps too.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Hey I did good on Saturday actually. At Quintana Jetty for just 2 hours over lunch time. Eventually I'll post a report up but been real busy since we got back.

Anyways, thanks Karst for the tip.

And I was using a gold splinter spoon I think 3/4 oz. Slow bite but it was steady, maybe every 9 casts. And... it made me feel bad but actually nobody else on the jetty was catching anything and they were using live bait. imagine that. I'll get the report up soon I promise!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Chubs wrote:it made me feel bad but actually nobody else on the jetty was catching anything and they were using live bait
yeah... more like "never been more proud of myself in my life" ;)
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Crusader wrote:
Chubs wrote:it made me feel bad but actually nobody else on the jetty was catching anything and they were using live bait
yeah... more like "never been more proud of myself in my life" ;)
Never!!! .... Ok... maybe a little :mrgreen: