Surfside marsh 7/17

TxAquatics

Surfside marsh 7/17

Post by TxAquatics »

Did a little early morning kayak fishing today. Launched out at 4:30am, my fishing bud rigged up a floating green underwater light, pretty cool to see bait fish attracted to it. Too bad no predator fish came in to feed. 30 minutes before sunrise the water turned like glass, real nice to be out. Undersized sand and spotted trout were biting. Picked up keep red drum near a crab trap. Got to see a bull black drum tailing, took out my phone for a picture and it disappeared.
That's it for now, love my second trip out back to back, no skunk. I'm gonna make the next trip, artificials only....
Attachments
20180717_075830.jpg
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Surfside marsh 7/17

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the report. Keep 'em coming!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report. Having action even undersized fish beats nothing and then you got the bonus keeper.

I’m so cheap I refuse to buy bait but instead spend vast sums of treasure on fake bait. I’m not sure of the logic, but it works for me. An old friend used to say “ I’d rather fool them than feed them” but sometimes I think I’m only fooling myself on the value of using the fake baits.

If you think about it, baits only require relatively inexpensive terminal tackle like hooks or corks. There’s no decisions to be made on which color of paddle tail out of the hundred different hues to choose from. Heck, I can’t decide so I’ll buy them all. How many knockers does one require for their topwater, one, two, three? Using one Artificial bait, especially if it delivers a fish, is a gateway drug that could lead to more and more usage and an endless cycle of use and abuse. You never know where it will lead except maybe poverty and hopeless addiction.

All I’m saying is that it’s a slippery slope. Be careful.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report! Thanks for sharing good info!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

karstopo wrote:Nice report. Having action even undersized fish beats nothing and then you got the bonus keeper.

I’m so cheap I refuse to buy bait but instead spend vast sums of treasure on fake bait. I’m not sure of the logic, but it works for me. An old friend used to say “ I’d rather fool them than feed them” but sometimes I think I’m only fooling myself on the value of using the fake baits.

If you think about it, baits only require relatively inexpensive terminal tackle like hooks or corks. There’s no decisions to be made on which color of paddle tail out of the hundred different hues to choose from. Heck, I can’t decide so I’ll buy them all. How many knockers does one require for their topwater, one, two, three? Using one Artificial bait, especially if it delivers a fish, is a gateway drug that could lead to more and more usage and an endless cycle of use and abuse. You never know where it will lead except maybe poverty and hopeless addiction.

All I’m saying is that it’s a slippery slope. Be careful.
Hopeless addiction indeed but so much more fun in my opinion. You don't have to worry about keeping your bait alive, finding the right size/color/topwater or swim bait, etc., is half the fun to me. I usually carry a couple of packets of soft plastics in various colors and sizes, a few packs of speck rigs and replacement bodies, and one or two topwaters.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Thumbs up guys, I do have an assortment of artificial lures. I heard the other day "fishing lures not only cath fish, but fishermen too"
I had a blast at the end using the shrimp that died on a bottom rig, light action rod. The bites felt like I was reeling in a prize fish. I did take some scenery pictures, but my daughter got my phone while I was cleaning up and said to me later, I thought you took you some pics by accident, so I deleted them...kids.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Welcome to the world of Yakkers with all their opinions--on everything under the water & Sun! Enjoyed your fishing report, Tx Aquatic, & hope to see more.
And regarding "artificial vs. bait," I gotta side w/ MWatson. Keeping shrimp or croakers alive is a royal pain, & dead bait stinks up your yak. Years of experience teach us which lures to carry, given the season & weather conditions. Shoffer, Watson & I never get outfished by bait chunkers. Go get ya some Down South paddletails, some Spook Jr. topwaters, and some small lipped diving lures. You'll be ready to limit out.
See you on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk