SLP flats, 7/14

TxAquatics

SLP flats, 7/14

Post by TxAquatics »

I was planning a combined night/early day break excursion. The night trip didn't happen, but I was up early enough to get ready. Launched at 6:30 into 7mph south wind on Galveston side of slp. A few waders and 2 other kayakers were spread out on the flats. I threw top water and paddle tails for a bit in first gut, no takers. I took live shrimp as a back up, no hits on popping cork/shrimp. I moved to second gut, a few nibbles on a doa shrimp. The live shrimp started getting bites, a whiting and of course hardheads. I moved parallel to the gut, closer to the pass. Then all of a sudden a massive hit on the live shrimp, but it let go. I quickly rebaited and bam first keeper trout. Rebaited as fast as I could and a massive hit, 19 inch trout, a nice school must have moved in. After that the school moved on. I paddled back to the launch, trolling a paddle tail and doa shrimp no takers. Overall great day on the water, got the skunk off my back, makes me want to go back.
Attachments
20180714_094914.jpg
20180714_061858.jpg
Cityfisher

Re: SLP flats, 7/14

Post by Cityfisher »

Nice fish! I have always wanted to fish over there there but since I am by myself 90% of the time I am scared to go for fear of getting my 2 wheel drive truck stuck. Is it fairly easy to get back there or do you need a 4 wheel drive?
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

I didn't park under the bridge, however if the sand is pretty packed in, I have in the past driven under the bridge in my car. I normally park on 26000 block of Baywater drive on the Galveston side. It is an open community, they don't say anything, just don't park on grass or leave trash. There is a little trail that is for waders and kayakers. From there you paddle to the guts. Good luck if you get out there.
29.1012206, -95.1067694
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Awesome! Thank you