Clear water, hydrilla

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Clear water, hydrilla

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

and bass...and I mean lots of hydrilla and lots of bass
I finally had a chance to get the kayak out and hit a small local lake today. Arrived about 6:30 PM to dead calm conditions but since some thunderstorms had just moved thru much of the area the temperature was somewhat tolerable even with no wind. I hadn't been down to this lake for a while and was surprised to see how much the hydrilla has taken it over. The shoreline is completely inaccessible for bank fishing but with a little determination I was able to work my way thru it with kayak and into the open water in the middle. Bass were chasing bait and making wakes all along the edge of the weedlines everywhere I looked. I decided a wacky worm worked parallel to the weedline should prove irresistable and man was it. They literally ATE it up! I must have caught 30 or 40 bass in about 2 1/2 hrs. This was a beautiful evening and a much needed break and the fish cooperating just made all that much better! I even managed to take some pics today. Enjoy!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Chubs

Re: Clear water, hydrilla

Post by Chubs »

Really nice! Thanks for the report. Your bass trip went better than mine last week. I fished lilies but only hooked one bass all day, and he spit the hook near the yak. I'll post up that report eventually lol.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Thanks Chubs,
Funny how quickly things change. I went again yesterday evening and conditions were identical to the day before but I could hardly buy a bite. The only difference was that there were 4 other boats there where the day before I had it all to myself. I think the added pressure on such a small clear lake under dead calm conditions pushed the fish/bait back into more protected cover. It's only 18 acres when full but with it being about 4 ft and low all the surface that's covered with hydrilla, it's probably only about 8-10 acres of open water. I did manage to catch 4 small bass and a bluegill. Fish weren't chasing bait along the edges of the hydrilla like the day before but were boiling up in the matted, thick stuff. Trying to make the trip quick and easy, I only took my small box of wacky worms and hooks and nothing else since it worked so well the day before. Probably should have taken at least another option or two. Oh well, live n learn....it was still a fun time on the water :D
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

You must have been using a topwater frog all day with all that Hydrilla.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

shoffer wrote:You must have been using a topwater frog all day with all that Hydrilla.
Actually when I caught all those bass the day before I did try a topwater frog for a little bit and never caught a fish on it. The wacky worm worked much better that day because the fish were hanging on the open water edge of the hydrilla so I figured it would produce as well on day two. I was wrong, the fish had changed their behavior and I wasn't prepared to change mine since I had brought limited tackle.........I will definitely have some weedless topwaters next time I go! Just goes to show you can never know for sure what fish are going to do from one day to the next. Having options is always a good thing.
IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

Watermelon seed weightless fluke is a great top water bait in all that hydrilla too or a white trick worm. Cool lake thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeterPP

Post by PeterPP »

good report and nice fish :wink: