Freshwater Fayette Fun – 7/12/18

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Freshwater Fayette Fun – 7/12/18

Post by shoffer »

I had to drive to Austin for a work-related meeting, which I knew would be done around 2 pm. So, naturally, I attached the kayak trailer to the car and took it with me, anticipating a 3:30 pm launch at Fayetteville County Lake to harass some bass until dark.

I arrived on time and was able to launch at 3:20 pm at Oak Thicket, but missed the major feed that took place earlier that day. No matter, I thought. It would still be fun. The wind was SW about 10-14, so the open lake was a little bumpy. My plan was to troll to the other side of the lake with some crankbaits – one deep diving crank shad imitation at 18-20 feet and a smaller crawfish crank at 12 feet – then hit some wind protected shorelines and coves, hoping for some frog action or topwater fun, then troll back to the launch with my cranks again as the sun dove behind the trees for the night.

So, from 3:30 to 5 pm, I slow trolled my cranks into the teeth of the wind. The crawfish got no love, but the shad imitation got hit twice – both in 18-22 feet of water as I trolled the lake. The first was a nice 2 pounder, and the second was this 5-pound bucketmouth, my personal best for that lake (which I have fished three times now):
2018-07-12 16.47.36.jpg
Plan A successfully completed.

Next, I launched Plan B, and headed to wind protected shorelines and still coves, and threw my trusty Spro frog and Spook in Baby Bass in 1 to 4 feet of water from 5 to 7 pm. I spooked a couple as I slid through the weedy, dead tree water, but amazingly, not one taker; not even a blow-up.

A bit dejected, I then employed the last segment of my plan, and slowly trolled back to the Oak Thicket launch, with two deep diving shad imitations. That paid off, with four fish hooked and two landed; two were lost on a jump as I reeled them in:
Capture1.JPG
Here was my basic track for the afternoon.
Capture.JPG
The water was very warm (Fishfinder said 96 degrees, but I felt it and it was more like 85), and I sweat out a good pint of liquid and got a great leg workout, but it was a fun outing and a nice change of pace from our saltwater adventures. I thought the fish might be deep due to the heat, and my results would appear to support my initial assumptions of where I'd find them. I topped off the trip with a nice sunset.
2018-07-12 20.31.45.jpg
I like that lake; big enough to find solitude, small enough to kayak it effectively, and full of hungry bass. I vowed to try and fish it more often. You should, too.
YakRunabout

Re: Freshwater Fayette Fun – 7/12/18

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report, Stuart - nice move to fit that into the trip -
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yes, Shoffer caught a bunch of decent bass in the "freshwater" lake! But are those black bass good to eat? Isn't that a long drive from Houston? What's it like fishing 22 feet deep? Can you do that w/ rods in their Outback rodholders?
And finally, what the Hell is FRESH WATER? That sounds a little gay to me.
I hope this thread attracts more than TWO replies w/ all the effort expended. Thanks, Shoffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap:
I love Fayette! Geat report! That is the track I usually run when I go, or launch from the other ramp and go to the outlet channel.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. I want to get out there some day but so many places to go and not enough time. Going fishing during a work trip is the best though :) unfortunately/ fortunately, all my clients are on the coast heh.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If someone wants to plan a Fayette trip for kayaks I bet many would come! I could see lots of kayaks out there! Would be cool!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good idea, KB! I foresee a Fresh Water Gay Confab in your future.
I love fresh water (for drinking).
See you in the salty Gulf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Nice report! I used to fish that lake quite a bit with my dad when he was still alive. That was his favorite place to fish. I have only fished it one time on a kayak about 5 years ago when I first got into kayak fishing. For such a small lake it is amazing how much a little wind can get that lake pretty rough quick. Still a fun place to fish! The fish are strong and fight hard there, I bet that 5lb bucketmouth was fun!!