Surfside - 07-08 - Delayed report

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Surfside - 07-08 - Delayed report

Post by Yaklash »

I tool an early trip to surfside and was in the water by 6:00 am. Stated off throwing a black She-dog. Fourth or fifth cast I get s strong pull (no Blow-up) and it shakes its head and hauls butt straight at me. I was thinking big trout! Then, as it got close, it turns and runs hard, taking 15 yards of line in a couple of seconds, I'm thinking real big trout!!! Then it just gives up and comes in easy....24" bull shark. Bummer. Anyway, nothing more on topwaters for 20-30 minutes. The guy next to me had caught a couple of keepers on a soft plastic & the dolphin were working hard just outside and a few inside the third bar, so I decide to go subsurface. I put on a Troutsupport lure in the Texas Roach on a 1/4 oz weighted swimbait hook and almost immediately caught a 16" trout. Over the next 20 minutes I caught another two keepers 16" & 17". All of the bites came when the porpoises were close, pushing the trout shallow I would guess. After 30 minutes without a bite, I threw a Mirrodine for a while without a taker, then switched to a Catch 2000 with Green back and White belly. About 10 casts later I caught a football of a trout. About 24" and just under 5 lbs. Nice trout, but not the 9+ I was hoping for. At about 8:30, as a storm approached and maybe because of the tides, the bait went quiet and the bite ceased. I got out before the storm hit and headed to the Whataburger for second breakfast.

The water was perfect trout green but not too clear. The wind was light and variable when I first got there - drove through a rain shower at the Buccee's. There was a ton mullet and quite a few shad. All fish released
Cityfisher

Re: Surfside - 07-08 - Delayed report

Post by Cityfisher »

Very nice.
I got down there around 8:30 the same day after it already started raining and fished the bay. It never did get real stormy or lightning, just a steady downpour and calm until about 2. The thundering seemed to stay off shore. Couldn't buy a bite that day even though there were reds everywhere.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Really enjoyed that detailed surf report w/ a twist of shark delight. How I love the surf because often you have no dang idea what's pulling so hard on your hook! It chaps me off when I feel that sweet trout "head-shaking," only to pull in a big-headed gafftop catfish or small sting ray, oh my.
Only question: were you wading the surf or in a kayak?
I find sharks more threatening when wading, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Interesting that the fish would bite when dolphins were around. I've always heard they will be more interested in staying alive instead of eating baits if dolphins are in the area. Looks like you proved that wrong though?

Were you close to the jetties? I saw a few dolphin at the jetties but none at the beach when we went surf fishing.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report. Sounds like the switching on lures paid off.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Chubs wrote:Interesting that the fish would bite when dolphins were around. I've always heard they will be more interested in staying alive instead of eating baits if dolphins are in the area. Looks like you proved that wrong though?

Were you close to the jetties? I saw a few dolphin at the jetties but none at the beach when we went surf fishing.
Chubs, it depends on how intrusive Flipper is. For the trout that have never been eaten or harassed, they are clueless, so they'll continue to bite if a dolphin is just around. If a dolphin blows through the school, that's something different. I've caught trout with Flipper in the area, and I've caught them after Flipper left. I've also experienced the complete shut down.

Yaklash, nice work on the fish bro!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report Yaklash! Thansk for sharing!