Drum Bay 07/08/18

Cityfisher

Drum Bay 07/08/18

Post by Cityfisher »

Well, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it down there Sunday due to a date Saturday night and knew I would be getting home late. Well all went well and I woke up feeling good and ready to catch some fish!
Got on the water around 8:30am. It was a nice sunny morning drive until I got to Surfside. Thunderstorms around and raining.
It wasn't lightning and the winds were calm, so I got my rain slicker out and off I go. Started out exploring the shorelines. Tide was pretty normal for that area, maybe a little high, and the water was stained but not muddy. Right away I see fish busting bait all up and down the shore close to the grass. Started throwing a paddle tail in the areas I was seeing them chasing bait. Nothing. Threw a small hunchback wake bait. Nothing. Fish are still busting bait all around. In some areas they were way back up in the grass where I couldn't get to. Just about every paddle stroke would spook up tons of tiny shrimp. Thought, ok, I'll down size to a small 3" gulp mantis shrimp weedless on a weighted hook. Thought for sure that would work. Nothing.
Followed the shoreline doing this and then headed to the old ICW reefs and islands. Nothing! All the while it is a steady, non-stop rain the entire day. It did not stop raining until around 2:30, about the time my stomach was growling and I was tired. Saw lots of action, spooked a ton of big reds along the way, but couldn't get any to bite. I don't know what to do in that situation, which happens to me a lot. lol I can find them but just can't seem to get them to bite. Maybe it was just the abundance of shrimp around that was to easy for them and they wanted nothing else. Times like that I wish I would have put some bait, like shrimp or mud minnows on and they would have taken that. I don't know.
But there wasn't a soul around, and with the rain all day and virtually no wind, it made it one of those very serene, peaceful days on the water even though a fish wasn't caught.
Cityfisher

Re: Drum Bay 07/08/18

Post by Cityfisher »

Pretty much what it looked like all day. Rainy and calm.
Attachments
rainy day.jpg
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks for the report. I have had days like that and they are still quite enjoyable for me. Heck, one of my favorite days fishing was about this time last year in similar conditions. A light rain all day, reds making wakes all around, and not a fish to show for my efforts. But the silence and solitude broken only by the sounds of my paddle and the drops of rain on the surface of the water made for one of my most memorable days on the water.

I fish for the sake of fishing which is not always about catching fish. I try to learn something new every time I hit the water.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Finally some reports to read. Thank you for taking the time to report. I haven't been out in a month. I was planning Sunday, but cancelled with rain.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

10-4, thanks for the report. Reds seem to have more personality than your average fish. Anything from gluttonous eating of everything in their path to complete lock jaw. Nice that you got out.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

karstopo wrote:10-4, thanks for the report. Reds seem to have more personality than your average fish. Anything from gluttonous eating of everything in their path to complete lock jaw. Nice that you got out.
They really do have quite a personality. That's probably why I enjoy stalking them so much more than any other species.
Next time I'll carry my cast net and bait bucket out with me so if I can't get anything on artificials I can at least see if they will eat something live.
Thanks guys. It really was a nice day of fishing.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your report. Days like that can be memorable, and those conditions are quite peaceful.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Great to be in their midst...good to get out on such a day. Thanks for the report.