Not quite a kayak trip

vstrom650

Not quite a kayak trip

Post by vstrom650 »

I just spent the previous week in Wimberley Texas. We rented a cabin on the Cypress Creek, part way between Jacob's Well and the Blue Hole, if you're familiar with that area. While I'm primarily a salt water guy, the cabin booking mentioned bass fishing and that kayaks and paddle boats were free with cabin rental, so I packed a rod and a few of the fresh water lures in my collection.

The creek itself in natural conditions would probably be rather small, but there are man made dams every so often to create swimming holes and play areas. The area I was at was perhaps 25 yds wide and 300 yds long. The center was anywhere from 6' to 10' deep. I was told there was a 30 ft hole in that section that held catfish but I didn't get a chance to check it out. Visibility was 5 to 6 ft unless you stirred up the mud. The water had a green color and was quite cool due to being spring fed.

On my vacation budget I can rent nice cabins or cabins in nice locations, but not both. This was a really nice location. We can just leave it at that. The free kayak was the cheapest walmart special, so I quickly ruled it out. The paddle boats? Well, after some playing around I figured I could fish out of those quite easily.

So I could easily see sun fish and bass swimming in the creek and I initially led off with some buzz baits with no luck. I tried some plastics again with no luck. Fearing the skunk, I reached deep into my tackle box and pulled out a plastic frog with weedless hook.

It took a few casts to get the technique, but quickly I learned to cast out into a bunch of lily pads and the twitch the rod to get the frog to hop from pad to pad, occasionally dropping into the water. I thought I was doing well when I tangled up and got snagged on a lily pad. But suddenly the "lily pad" started fighting back. Before long I landed a beautiful bass. CPR and repeat.

I caught 2 more nice bass in roughly 30 minutes before hooking a monster. By the time I landed that one, the rubber frog was gone. And with that, I was done.

A word about the frog. Although I've always been a salt water guy, back in the 80's some friends and I were fishing Coleto Lake. I was mowing yards for drinking money and spent a bit of my beer funds on fresh water gear. That frog was added to my collection around 1985. It spent many years in my dad's garage while I was away at school, then went with me on several out of town and out of state moves. While I've tried it here and there, I've never before caught with it. Until now. Finally, after 30+ years, it landed 4 nice bass before being ripped off the hook. Farewell, tiny frog. You've slumbered long but paid off in the end. Never shall I see your like again.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Not quite a kayak trip

Post by texnomad »

I bet the redfish in Light House Lakes would have fun with that frog.
Chubs

Re: Not quite a kayak trip

Post by Chubs »

RIP frog. That actually looked like a nice one.

Nice bass too