Port Lavaca land lubber report 6-26-18

Chubs

Port Lavaca land lubber report 6-26-18

Post by Chubs »

Since the reports are pretty slow thought I'd upload my meager attempt from yesterday.

I tried my hand at fishing the Port Lavaca fishing pier yesterday evening. Didn't have time to go anywhere else that probably would have been better.

Was immediately greeted with this:
Add description
Add description
Looks like I can't fish past 11PM after all...
Add description
Add description
The wind was heavy, probably 15mph. tide was supposed to be falling but the wind was blowing the opposite direction that the wind would pick up my lure and carry it the wrong way. Didn't help I was on the windward side. Water was extremely muddy.

So I played around in the muddy water with my 1/8 oz black weedless spoon tipped with a chartreus 3" gulp swimming mullet. Figured that was good color contrast for the mud, and the spoon would give a good thump, and the gulp give the scent.

Not a single bite. I worked over as much of the area as I could but nothing.
So I practiced my retrieve styles, practiced casting with and against the wind, practiced avoiding getting tetanus from walking on rocks with exposed metal and shells in flip flops.
Add description
Add description
Since you made it this far, a question to the TKFM elites. How are you supposed to rig a weedless spoon? I connected it to a swivel snap but I noticed the spoon was rotating as I retrieved it. Also what about trailers, is a 3" gulp swimming mullet too much? it seemed perfect to me :)
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: Port Lavaca land lubber report 6-26-18

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Chubs wrote:Since the reports are pretty slow thought I'd upload my meager attempt from yesterday.

I tried my hand at fishing the Port Lavaca fishing pier yesterday evening. Didn't have time to go anywhere else that probably would have been better.

Was immediately greeted with this:
20180625_191659.jpg
Looks like I can't fish past 11PM after all...
20180625_191752.jpg
The wind was heavy, probably 15mph. tide was supposed to be falling but the wind was blowing the opposite direction that the wind would pick up my lure and carry it the wrong way. Didn't help I was on the windward side. Water was extremely muddy.

So I played around in the muddy water with my 1/8 oz black weedless spoon tipped with a chartreus 3" gulp swimming mullet. Figured that was good color contrast for the mud, and the spoon would give a good thump, and the gulp give the scent.

Not a single bite. I worked over as much of the area as I could but nothing.
So I practiced my retrieve styles, practiced casting with and against the wind, practiced avoiding getting tetanus from walking on rocks with exposed metal and shells in flip flops.
20180625_194714.jpg
Since you made it this far, a question to the TKFM elites. How are you supposed to rig a weedless spoon? I connected it to a swivel snap but I noticed the spoon was rotating as I retrieved it. Also what about trailers, is a 3" gulp swimming mullet too much? it seemed perfect to me :)
Actually Chubs the sign says you CAN fish past 11 as long as its on the pier. So next time you can fish all night long but it sounds like from the results you were having maybe 11 was a good time to wrap it up anyway....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk