5/26 & 5/28 Surf Report

stuman

5/26 & 5/28 Surf Report

Post by stuman »

I left the yak at home these two trips and attempted to get after some Surf Trout. Hit access one at SS 5/26 and found less than ideal conditions (Dirty water, 1-2 foot rollers). I started off throwing an XL Down South for about 45 minutes with nothing to show but did notice some good sized shrimp (6"-8") jumping in the first and second gut with something clearly chasing them. I decided to switch to a pink She Dog despite the rough surf since I was seeing action on top in between the waves. I got about knee deep and worked my She Dog parallel to the beach since that was about the only way I could keep it from getting smacked by big waves. After about 30 minutes I hooked up to a decent 17" or 18" trout. I really never saw the blow up due to the waves but obviously the fish could still see it. Fished my top water another 30 or so minutes with one good blow up and no connection. I decided after that I would throw a pink/white chicken boy shrimp (was actually the off brand big bite one that I have had in my box 3+ years, Sorry Joe!) since that's what I was seeing being chased. I ended up catching 4 or 5 dinks pretty quickly and then had one solid thump and drag being peeled. I then proceeded to fight this beast for a solid minute (felt like 10) and got a good look at her she was a good 5 lber (probably around 24+") I almost had her in the net and boom hook came loose. I said a few cuss words, felt a little sick but got over it quicker than I would have thought. I fished another 20 minutes and called it cause I promised my wife I would be back early.... :roll:

I went back 5/28 and met some buddies and I was fishing angry this time. Conditions were much better this outing and the beach was Trout Green with almost no waves present. I started throwing a top and had no action whatsoever and wasn't seeing the shrimp being busted like I was two days prior. I switched to my Down South XL Chicken of the Sea and didn't have much luck til about 8:00 and caught 2 solid 18" trout in about a 15 minute span. Another buddy of mine caught a decent Spanish Mack and a nice keeper Trout (~19") on a sliver spoon. We took a break at about 9:00 and drank a beer on the beach and then went back after them. I caught one more good trout not too long after that but then it was dead. It was probably some of the nicest water I remember fishing in a long time and didn't have the day I was hoping for, but wasn't a bust. Looking back I think the full moon and lack of tide movement didn't help. I bet we would have had more luck closer to the pass? Who knows... Ill be back and man I do love wading the surf, its easy and If you don't catch them at least you are at the beach...right?
Last edited by stuman on Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stuman

Re: 5/26 & 5/28 Surf Report

Post by stuman »

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:
Attachments
IMG_5115.JPEG
IMG_5154.JPEG
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for your good surf report. That water in your photo looks blue/green & calm, suitable for Speckled trout on lures. Whenever I see shrimp jumping out there, it's on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Very nice!

How often do we get that green water here?
stuman

Post by stuman »

Usually when the winds are out of the N, NE or SE (N or NE being the best) and less than 5-7MPH. You can still catch fish in less than ideal conditions (like I did Saturday) but it becomes a bit sporty and you are dodging waves and trying not to soak your gear.