Canyon lake 5-27-18

Chubs

Canyon lake 5-27-18

Post by Chubs »

I went fishing yesterday at canyon lake with my dad and brother.

We took his bass boat and were just going to fish the morning while the rest of the family woke up to get around and go skiing. Yes this is a boat report but where we went and covered would have been easy in a yak.

Unfortunately we were lazy the night before and didn't have anything rigged up or the boat loaded up, so didn't get on the water till about 8 AM.

Was super nice and calm in the morning. We went over to around the mid 3rd of the lake to fish the north shore where the slopes are more gradual and I figured the weeds would have been growing. Lucky that was the case, we were targeting the 6 -12 ft zone for black bass based on the latest TPWD fishing report.

So got to the 1st area and then had to rig up our rods lol. And then spent a good hour screwing around with my dad's fancy remote controlled gps trolling motor...

Took awhile but I finally caught my 1st ever bass! It was a Guadalupe bass, somewhere around 12 - 14". Caught on a 1/4 oz jighead with 3" fat white curl tail grub.
IMG-20180527-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20180527-WA0001.jpg
We tried a lot of different things, texas rigged pink worms, rat l traps, spinner baits, crank baits.
They only seemed to want the grubs and worms. Not that we caught any more after my bass. I got a nice bite on a red fluke worm texas rigged, but he got off the hook due to poor hook set.

We were having the most luck at old creek beds and weed lines in that 6 - 12" zone.

Our day wrapped up around 10:30. Was nice to finally catch my 1st bass!

Funny story on the bass. He swallowed the hook pretty deep so we were going to keep him. Put him in the live well. Well when we got the family on board I wanted to show my son. My dad turned his live well on to cycle the water. Unfortunately when you do that the water level fills up in the live well. The well is on the front of the boat and it's a flat deck. I'm sure you can guess what happened next... High water level and I was stupid enough to think I could grab the fish to show my son... Out he jumps overboard back to safety LOL!
Was pretty funny but I hope the fish is able to spit the hook :S
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Canyon lake 5-27-18

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice work Chubs.. I was at a cabin nearby the lake.. but I can't give a report of this activity ;-)