Aransas Pass/Light House Lakes

FingerMullet

Aransas Pass/Light House Lakes

Post by FingerMullet »

It’s been a while since I posted something.. I finally had an opportunity to head out this past Friday & Saturday even though the wind prediction was going to be high.. They were not lying too.. The winds were brutal gusting S-SW 20-25mph. I was still going to make the best of it.. I launched at 7:30am, paddled the head wind with a strong in coming tide across the boat channel into a large lake.
Even though of the high winds, the water was pretty clear. The ripples & waves made it difficult to see anything even bait. I started blind casting Tobin’s TroutSupport Grasswalker in Bone Diamond. On the 3rd cast, I picked a lower slot 22”.Image
A few more cast later I picked up another 22”. Image
I was looking at a limit in less than an hour of fishing!
I threw a few more casts & bam! Unfortunately it fell short at 17”.
I kept throwing for another hour but no other takers. I then decided to go into super skinny water to spot & stalk. The wind made that difficult see them as I was spooking everything in front of me.. The reds were all around me but I couldn’t get them to bite. I threw everything but the kitchen sink. Eventually after hard fishing I finally got a 20.5” to commit on a Down South chicken on chain with 1/8 jig head to complete my limit.
Image.
Saturday I launched at 7am. The wind was howling again but I was able to locate a few tailing reds in the same large lake as Friday. I threw in vain at them but no takers. I started blind casting again the TS Grasswalker & picked up a couple rats. Paddled out to the skinny water & found the reds again but they were very skittish. Unfortunately no keepers to land but had fun seeing them swimming all around me..
Just a shout out to Tobin for his videos & lures!
Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Aransas Pass/Light House Lakes

Post by kickingback »

Nice reds! Glad you got to report! Thanks for sharing!
Chubs

Re: Aransas Pass/Light House Lakes

Post by Chubs »

The spot on that little red is very striking. Looks almost like a perfect circle. Pretty neat!