5/5/18 Marsh Reds

stuman

5/5/18 Marsh Reds

Post by stuman »

I was really wanting to hit the Surf Saturday Morning for some trout action but figured it was going to be a little rough when I woke up and saw 10-15mph North Winds (was projected 5-8mph). So I went with my backup plan and hit a Marsh Lake that I know typically produces on a decent incoming tide. I hit the water about 6:45 and paddled about 25 mins before I hit a shoreline and started working the grass line with my top water. In the first hour I had a couple small blow ups but no takers... I paddled further back and found some deeper water (~2ft) and signs of nervous bait. I landed my first red at about 7:40. He wasn't big but he was right a 20.5 and went on my stringer. I ended up hooking another slot red that seemed a little bigger but he came off right at the net... :x . It took me a minute but I figured out what these fish wanted that day. They wanted 5 or 6 quick twitches and then to just let it sit for 4-5 seconds. I ended up landing two more in about 10 mins that weren't long fish but were THICK. Biggest being right at 23". It was now about 10:15 and I had my limit of Reds and wanted some flat fish so I switched to a pink DSL. By now the sun was out and I knew there were some good shell patches where I had pulled out Flounder in the past. I set up my drift casting around them and on my first cast BAM fish on but he pulls me right across the shell and breaks me off. I retied my leader and jig head and make another drift. Again, fish on but I realized this was no flatty... this was another lower end slot red. I caught 2 on the first drift, did another and caught 3 more reds. It was a pretty good day but couldn't seem to locate any other species besides Red's that day. I think I ended up with 9 reds landed up to 23" and lost two more.
stuman

Re: 5/5/18 Marsh Reds

Post by stuman »

Pics
Attachments
IMG_1215.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice job.

I've not had any success with top waters yet. I probably just don't know what I'm doing but always throw mostly jig heads.

Interesting way to string them up too. Why do you do it that way? I just go through the gill plate out the mouth. Haven't lost any yet but maybe I've not fished long enough.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats on figuring it out!
crusher

Post by crusher »

Stuman, Nice day of fishing. Good report with explaining what you tried and why - that's a good report for sure with a little education.

Chubs
Interesting way to string them up too. Why do you do it that way?
Check out this post - shows a how and a why.

url]http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... =1&t=59792[/url]
Angler

Post by Angler »

stuman wrote:I was really wanting to hit the Surf Saturday Morning for some trout action but figured it was going to be a little rough when I woke up and saw 10-15mph North Winds (was projected 5-8mph). So I went with my backup plan and hit a Marsh Lake that I know typically produces on a decent incoming tide. I hit the water about 6:45 and paddled about 25 mins before I hit a shoreline and started working the grass line with my top water. In the first hour I had a couple small blow ups but no takers... I paddled further back and found some deeper water (~2ft) and signs of nervous bait. I landed my first red at about 7:40. He wasn't big but he was right a 20.5 and went on my stringer. I ended up hooking another slot red that seemed a little bigger but he came off right at the net... :x . It took me a minute but I figured out what these fish wanted that day. They wanted 5 or 6 quick twitches and then to just let it sit for 4-5 seconds. I ended up landing two more in about 10 mins that weren't long fish but were THICK. Biggest being right at 23". It was now about 10:15 and I had my limit of Reds and wanted some flat fish so I switched to a pink DSL. By now the sun was out and I knew there were some good shell patches where I had pulled out Flounder in the past. I set up my drift casting around them and on my first cast BAM fish on but he pulls me right across the shell and breaks me off. I retied my leader and jig head and make another drift. Again, fish on but I realized this was no flatty... this was another lower end slot red. I caught 2 on the first drift, did another and caught 3 more reds. It was a pretty good day but couldn't seem to locate any other species besides Red's that day. I think I ended up with 9 reds landed up to 23" and lost two more.
Nice outing! thanks for posting. Can’t wait to get back out to wet a line! See any specks?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice report! Way to go landing some nice reds!
stuman

Post by stuman »

Chubs wrote:Nice job.

I've not had any success with top waters yet. I probably just don't know what I'm doing but always throw mostly jig heads.

Interesting way to string them up too. Why do you do it that way? I just go through the gill plate out the mouth. Haven't lost any yet but maybe I've not fished long enough.

This will keep your fish alive longer, stringing them through the gills restricts their breathing and they will die much faster. I wouldn't recommend a topwater, once you get that first good blow up that's all you will want to throw :lol: