Drum Bay 05/06/18

Cityfisher

Drum Bay 05/06/18

Post by Cityfisher »

For the life of me I can not get up early enough to get on the water before sun up. I know I would catch more fish if I did. lol
Oh well, it's a pleasure for me to fish and not make it hard on myself. :) Anyway, got on the water at around 9:30. Conditions were beautiful, low NNE winds and temps felt great. Only one person unloading and not another soul anywhere in the direction I was going. The water was a little more milky brown than I thought it would be, but for that area, I have better luck like that than when it is crystal clear. Started exploring the shorelines looking for signs. Spooked what I think was a Red by the mud boil but couldn't find any to play. Went to a couple of spots I usually find them and nothing. Headed toward the OLD ICW and by the time I got there the wind picked up and was coming in from the southeast now. Still very comfortable on the water. Started fishing the edges of the OLD ICW reefs on the wind blown side and hooked up with a nice one with a gulp under a popping cork. Just when I was going for the net he pulls the ol, lets run under the kayak trick. Yep, he broke me off!
So I switch up and fish my redfish magic spinner and hook up with a fiesty little 14" red. A little later and down the reef some more I hook up with the devil fish on my spinner. Yes, flounder are devil fish!! I say that because they either fool you and get unhooked before you net them, flop out of the kayak when you think they are done, or end up cutting you some way or another. This time it really wasn't his fault, I layed my filet knife on the counter and when I was washing the slime off of him my finger slides across the blade and gives me a nice deep cut that bled forever! He got his revenge even in death!! lol That was it, packed up, got a 6 pack on the way home and enjoyed the evening. :)
Attachments
IMG_20180506_204824.jpg
IMG_20180506_131307.jpg
IMG_20180506_130555.jpg
IMG_20180506_114301.jpg
Chubs

Re: Drum Bay 05/06/18

Post by Chubs »

Ouch! Congrats on the founder though.

I did something similar stupidly. We bought some new knifes, I was admiring how sharp they were. Went to clean them and I'm used to drying my knifes after I wash them. Well I took my rag and ran it over the blade like I would with my old knifes, only this knife cut through my towel... And into my thumb :(
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I use the cut resistant gloves when cleaning fish. It’s just too easy to slice up a finger otherwise.

Thanks for the report on Drum bay. I’ve been out there one time this year and covered a lot of water one afternoon but saw very little activity. I like all those reefs and edges and there’s always another spot to check out.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

karstopo wrote:I use the cut resistant gloves when cleaning fish. It’s just too easy to slice up a finger otherwise.

Thanks for the report on Drum bay. I’ve been out there one time this year and covered a lot of water one afternoon but saw very little activity. I like all those reefs and edges and there’s always another spot to check out.
That was my first time back to my favorite stomping grounds since last fall. I started exploring Christmas Bay a lot more last fall and had some really good luck. But I'm finding out that the time of year makes a big difference in finding fish there or not.
My last 2 trips this year were at Christmas Bay and I got skunked both times so decided to explore Drum again. With the weather calming down and heating up I think Drum will start to heat up also.