Causeway 5/4/18

5fangers

Causeway 5/4/18

Post by 5fangers »

Hit the causeway last night. It was humid with almost zero wind. If currents were on a 10 scale it would have been a 1.
The bite was slow at first and then picked up late in the evening. Quite a few other yakkers were out.
Don’t even get me started on the a-hole powerboater that decided to cruise right at the lights were we all camped out at and revved his outboard. Haters gonna hate...
Took home 5 keeper specks and 2 other keepers were lost at the kayak. Also caught a bunch right around the 14” mark. Lure of choice was the Yo-Zuri 3DS minnow in holographic ghost shad to match the hatch and holographic Ayu. Both produced.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Causeway 5/4/18

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Glad you caught some good keepers to bring home to fry up!!! Well done!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report! Lol at the power boat :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

on the Arroyo last fall, a power boat with a crowd came in on plane between us and the bank - he wasn't looking for us and we were in the sun. He shut down and pretended he meant to do that, asking if we were all right.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

pb almost ran me over out by confederate reef... finally he slowed down and stopped coming straight at me then as he went by hes like "sry dude didnt see ya" ya f you bro lmao
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Heh, I guess that is why some folks take a flag. But if they don't see our rods poking up in the air, I doubt they'd see a flag. I've got a bright red kayak though and so far so good... of course that could all change in an instant :(
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Thank you for the report.

As to power-boater conflicts, don't go thinking that, as kayak anglers, you get any more disrespect from idiot, munch-butt power boat operators. Those that should have their boats taken away have been crossing paths with waders, shorebirds and other boaters for as long as I've been doing this. And that goes back to the 70s. I've been on fish wading and had boats bird-dog me to within 20 yards (pigs) and I've had them nearly run over me when I was wading chest deep water (clueless).

The troubling part of the OP's comments is, that guy knew where and what he was doing. Just a complete D-bag.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

So where do you launch at to get to the causeway? That Virginia Point road boat ramp that looks to be a free one?
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Chubs wrote:So where do you launch at to get to the causeway? That Virginia Point road boat ramp that looks to be a free one?
I launch at Galveston Bait and Tackle on Broadway St. If you use their concrete ramp it’ll cost you a few bucks. If you launch at the end it’s free.