5/2 bolivar(with gunfire)

screwston420

5/2 bolivar(with gunfire)

Post by screwston420 »

fished at the end of Bob Rd in the marsh between crystal beach and intracoastal... lost 2 upper slot possibly oversized red fish, caught 1 18 in sheepshead on shrimp and 1 13 inch sheepshead in cast net... saw an overesize red tailing upwind of me but no way to get behind it to cast to it wind was so strong. and then... just as the sunset and as im loading my kayak i hear 4-5 rifle shots. i dont know if youve ever been shot at but you can def. tell when the gun is pointed your direction.. i could hear the crack of the rifle and after the 4-5 shots another 6-8 shots came and that is when i heard 2 wiz by me... wasnt on private property and i didnt bother anyone dont know why they were shooting at me but luckily i think i was far enough away for them to be too accurate. shots came from back near 87... maybe i was in there honey hole? TON of fish sign in there.... ill be going back when i can as this is the first place ive fished and seen fish since watching tobins shallow reds DVD. i chose to fish that spot based on stuff i saw in the DVD. that dvd is the shizznit
El Gato Diablo

Re: 5/2 bolivar(with gunfire)

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Wow, would like to think it was unintentional and they were just out shooting.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Yeah I was hoping that too but then again they could see me they had a clear line of sight and after I heard the two wiz by I got the feeling it wasn't unintentional I measured the distance from around where the shots came from to where I was and it's about 3,300 feet so pretty good distance
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I was fishing there about 2 weeks ago, had similar experience -- someone was shooting when I was launching. Did not hear any whizzing close to me, though. Oh, well, occupational hazard... Don't be a pussy. :mrgreen:
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

haha oh i will def. be going back
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

You need to call the sheriff the next time that happens. You are responsible for every bullet you fire, and one of the cardinal rules of gun safety is to know what is beyond your target. If bullets came whizzing past you, a crime was committed, and someone may eventually pay the price for that idiot's carelessness.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Sheesh. Glad you found the fish; NOT glad you evidentially got shot at.

Do you think you could pinpoint around where it came from based on Google maps?
Like was it from one of those houses in the vicinity of the Bob road and 87? Or are you saying they were shooting from on Bob Road around 87 in your general direction?

Did you actually see them? If you couldn't see them, chances are they couldn't see you either and they were just being dumb (or horrible shots). I'd hope so anyway. But you probably had your truck lights on too if it was sunset?

I'd still call the police to file a report, chances are if they did it once (twice if Crusader was in the same area) they will do it again and eventually they will nail someone.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Tbh, I support the right of that guy to shoot in his own backyard. This pussification of america over last two generations (you can't do this, can't do that) is starting to get old... At that distance there was an extremely small chance to get hit by a stray bullet and it wouldn't have any power -- I bet I have higher chance to get killed doing 75mph on a freeway at 4am driving to Galveston or Bolivar.

And if his shooting scare some away -- I am all for it ;-)
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Be a man!
Shoot back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

One of the rules of shooting is to know where your bullets are going and what they might hit. If one can’t be sure of what is downrange, the shot should not be taken. No one should be shooting at anything like targets, plinking, and not know for certain that they aren’t putting anyone at risk.

There’s a place here where people shoot next to the water and the people shooting have zero consideration for people out on the water. I’ve had bullets whiz near when the bullet struck something hard and got redirected. That’s totally unacceptable and I’ve called the police, Freeport jurisdiction, and they do patrol the area.

I like to shoot at targets, but I’m always 100% certain that bullet has zero chance of hitting anything other than the intended target. The idea that anyone goes out shooting and hopes that their bullet doesn’t hurt anyone unintentionally but doesn’t know for certain is appalling. Nothing p**sy about that, it a matter of life and death and criminally negligent to shoot without knowing where your bullet might go.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Crusader wrote:Tbh, I support the right of that guy to shoot in his own backyard. This pussification of america over last two generations (you can't do this, can't do that) is starting to get old... At that distance there was an extremely small chance to get hit by a stray bullet and it wouldn't have any power -- I bet I have higher chance to get killed doing 75mph on a freeway at 4am driving to Galveston or Bolivar.

And if his shooting scare some away -- I am all for it ;-)
Hey I'm all for them plinking and shooting targets in their back yard. Zero problem with that. I wish I could do it in my neighborhood but I'm in city limits.

It's as others said, responsible shooting. Make sure you know what is behind you. Sure it would be pure bad luck to get hit at that distance, but I'm sure a 30-06 would still have kill power.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

You all assume he wasn't shooting "responsibly" or he wasn't ready to take responsibility of possible outcomes. But here is the deal: lets assume you raise stink about that and get local authorities to ban his shooting, etc. You know what is going to happen next? Locals will raise stink back and get that access point closed (they'll come up with a reason -- trash, etc). So at the end both of sides will lose and the only winner will be a bunch of lawyers. As is american tradition... But, yeah -- world will become safer.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Snitches get stitches, yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Crusader wrote:You all assume he wasn't shooting "responsibly" or he wasn't ready to take responsibility of possible outcomes. But here is the deal: lets assume you raise stink about that and get local authorities to ban his shooting, etc. You know what is going to happen next? Locals will raise stink back and get that access point closed (they'll come up with a reason -- trash, etc). So at the end both of sides will lose and the only winner will be a bunch of lawyers. As is american tradition... But, yeah -- world will become safer.
If bullets, not shotgun pellets, are going down range and ultimately beyond the target over public water, then that’s not responsible shooting. That’s definitely what happened more than once in my area, uncontrolled shooting of lethal or potentially lethal rounds at distances that were within a potentially killing range. The “range” is off a public road, on public land, shooting towards public water, 100-200 yards beyond, with no backstop other than a thin screen of low brush. Anytime something like that happens, I hope anyone would raise a stink. No boater or kayaker should ever have to have any real concern about stray/misdirected bullets while navigating public waters.

Shoot all you want at the shooting range or on private land so long as it stays on the range or on the private land. Don’t ever think that the second amendment allows you to do whatever the h**l you want with firearms on public land, especially putting boaters and kayakers at risk. Nothing like what I described and have experienced should ever have to be tolerated.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

If they were actually intentionally shooting at him, then they will try to get the launch closed anyway right?

If it was an honest mistake I don't think something so drastic is likely from a police visit just to inform them that they are being idiots, but who knows. Unless they actually hit someone they aren't getting their guns taken away or hauled off to jail (who knows these days though).

I'm sure you are probably right though, you are more likely to die in the car ride over than get hit by a stray bullet.

Anyways...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Deliverance is alive and well and on TKF.
If his own back yard isn't 10 acres, it's illegal in Texas to shoot there.
Would definitely contact the county Sheriff with questions, and or alerts.
If you were being shot at, it's Assault with a deadly weapon - actually, if you're simply being pointed-at, that counts.
Stupification of America began when Gary Cooper was replaced by Clint Eastwood.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

karstopo wrote:
Crusader wrote:You all assume he wasn't shooting "responsibly" or he wasn't ready to take responsibility of possible outcomes. But here is the deal: lets assume you raise stink about that and get local authorities to ban his shooting, etc. You know what is going to happen next? Locals will raise stink back and get that access point closed (they'll come up with a reason -- trash, etc). So at the end both of sides will lose and the only winner will be a bunch of lawyers. As is american tradition... But, yeah -- world will become safer.
If bullets, not shotgun pellets, are going down range and ultimately beyond the target over public water, then that’s not responsible shooting. That’s definitely what happened more than once in my area, uncontrolled shooting of lethal or potentially lethal rounds at distances that were within a potentially killing range. The “range” is off a public road, on public land, shooting towards public water, 100-200 yards beyond, with no backstop other than a thin screen of low brush. Anytime something like that happens, I hope anyone would raise a stink. No boater or kayaker should ever have to have any real concern about stray/misdirected bullets while navigating public waters.

Shoot all you want at the shooting range or on private land so long as it stays on the range or on the private land. Don’t ever think that the second amendment allows you to do whatever the h**l you want with firearms on public land, especially putting boaters and kayakers at risk. Nothing like what I described and have experienced should ever have to be tolerated.
~0.7 miles to closest backyard.
snapshot.jpg
this world needs some tolerance. And not the dumb virtue signaling kind being so popular in last few decades. But tolerance for other people rights, activities and even mistakes. Because otherwise government will happily take away every right each one of us has because there is someone who isn't comfortable with you having it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have fished those small lakes in there by driving down the dirt/rock road behind the rusted water tower. No signs saying private property. You drive to the middle of the two lakes and most people park there to fish the lakes. Some good reds and flounder in there at times. I have never heard or had anyone shooting at me there the 4 times I have fished it.
I will be on the look out.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

paraphrased, "oops, he messed up with a firearm, please be tolerant" - even the NRA is against that one.
Does he have a right to shoot a high powered rifle without a proper berm backstop? He may not have the right to be shooting from where he was firing, at all, and that alone is a reason to question the county Sheriff.
Why Clint Eastwood? Aside from gun violence bringing high ratings and solving all problems, a pivotal plot element in every one of his movies is that All authority is corrupt and pedantic.
Both corrupt and pedantic have made their appearance on this thread.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i was here i was parked at the red circle and shots seemed to come from somewhere around the black, like someone pulled in.. i couldnt see them so its possible they couldnt see me but they should have been able to see my truck oh well it is texas lol

i didnt report it and im not crying about it just thought it was worth mentioning since it was the first time its happend to me i know others have had similar experiences in other places
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Hey at least you enjoyed yourself! And big thanks for the heads up.

I suppose if it happens again and you are close to your truck and loading/ unload; honk your horn a few times to let them know someone is over there, that way there is no question on if they know you are there or not.

Doesn't seem you are concerned but I would guess anyone could also consider carrying an air horn if they are on the water and worried about stray gunfire in backwoods areas such as this one appears to be.
I'd probably not go to that extreme (spook the fish), but then again I've not been shot at so maybe my perspective would change.
Calling the sheriff doesn't do much good in the immediate term if you are being shot at - intentionally or not.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

calling the Sheriff can avert the shooter's bad habit - if he's shooting irresponsibly, and it sounds like he is, then he needs to learn that.
There is no room for irresponsible use of firearms, and he should have learned that as a child.
It's never your job to confront a sportsman, in fact, it's illegal, but it is the job of law enforcement.
fishsaint78

Re: RE: Re: 5/2 bolivar(with gunfire)

Post by fishsaint78 »

If bullets are whizzing by other people, then he wasn't shooting responsibly. By your logic, it would be ok if someone's kid got hit while fishing on public waters because he was "shooting responsibly"? Because I can promise, if it happened to my kid, he isn't ready to be held responsible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Crusader wrote:
karstopo wrote:

~0.7 miles to closest backyard.
snapshot.jpg
this world needs some tolerance. And not the dumb virtue signaling kind being so popular in last few decades. But tolerance for other people rights, activities and even mistakes. Because otherwise government will happily take away every right each one of us has because there is someone who isn't comfortable with you having it.
Man, I hope you’re not serious. If you are, then I have to respectfully disagree. There is no room for “mistakes” when dealing with firearms, you can learn that pretty quickly if you’ve spent any time using them. If you think “pussification” is a problem, let me suggest meditating on a lot bigger and more rampant one, and that is “MEification”, where some think they can do anything they want, consequences to others be damned. Years ago I had a high school teacher tell us something that I thought was so corny, but I have never forgotten it: Freedom is the ability to swing your fist wherever you want, but it ends when it touches someone else’s nose.
No one, and I mean no one, has the right to endanger another’s safety.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Crusader wrote: ~0.7 miles to closest backyard.

snapshot.jpg

Uhhh, say what?!? You're acting like this is some new stuff here in a "pussy" (your word) PC world. That is not true. I grew up shooting guns on the edge of a big city (from about 1969; Vietnam era) and was told from the beginning what the rules were. When )or if) I broke them, I got my butt whooped and/or my gun taken away (both happened once each-lessons learned). I was taught by a WWII vet father, a Marine sniper/instructor brother in law as well as an older brother who is and has always been an avid shooter, hunter, angler and general outdoorsman. The idea that I need to be tolerant of some jack-@$$ shooting weapons in my direction is ludicrous. Randomly lobbing bullets in the direction of anything but a back-stop unless you are in the middle of nowhere on a large tract of private property has never been correct. If you think it is, you are part of the problem.