Overnighter at Surfside

Cityfisher

Overnighter at Surfside

Post by Cityfisher »

This weekend and the surf looked so nice I just had to head south for an overnighter under the stars. Beautiful full moon to. The gulf had the clearest blue green water I've ever seen. Saturday it was ice cream smooth so I decided to fish the gulf. Fished from about 11:30 to 3 with not even a bite on either cut mullet or artificial except for 1 lone shark. This shark got airborne about 20 feet away from me 2 foot into the air, so I cast my popping cork with cut mullet over to it and wam, he attacked the cork first then played with it for a few seconds or so before he took the bait. It was pretty fun though on my bay rod. Got him next to me and when I went to get my phone to snap a pic he bit through the line and took off. Headed to Christmas Bay for the evening with nothing, nada! The bay was really low this weekend. Then tried the bay again Sunday morning til about 1:30 with not even a nibble. Man, this time of year is always difficult for me to find the fish over there. I hate it when the bays get that low. Anyway, it was a gorgeous weekend under the stars and full moon for some much needed R & R!
IMG_20180330_202856.jpg
Attachments
surfside beach.jpg
blue water gulf.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Overnighter at Surfside

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Hey, at least you got out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Beautiful weather lately for all shore activities. Glad you got to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing!
krfish

Post by krfish »

Better than a good day at work!

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Oh yeah, sometimes it's so nice, catching a fish is just a bonus. Thanks guys!
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

haha your kayak looks like mine// feel free moken 14, yours looks a bit shorter tho?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

screwston420 wrote:haha your kayak looks like mine// feel free moken 14, yours looks a bit shorter tho?
I have the FeelFree Lure 11.5. I love that thing! lol
zehtx6767

Post by zehtx6767 »

I’ve been having the same luck. None at all... Last week Id never seen Christmas bay so low. I did get to surf fish while doing a beach trip with the fam Sunday though. Caught my first shark... A whopping ten inch black tip! Ha.

screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Cityfisher wrote:
screwston420 wrote:haha your kayak looks like mine// feel free moken 14, yours looks a bit shorter tho?
I have the FeelFree Lure 11.5. I love that thing! lol
nice, i like that raised seat.. wonder if i can get that on my moken what seat is it? is it the Gravity seat? i have the kingfisher seat now

edit: oh nvm i see now on AKC its only for the lure series :/
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

I've been thinking about doing some trips like this. I'm just a little curious about staying on the beach solo. Have a tahoe i can camp in, but how is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

CoachFlex wrote:I've been thinking about doing some trips like this. I'm just a little curious about staying on the beach solo. Have a tahoe i can camp in, but how is it?

Surfside is safe. It's my home away from home when the weather permits. I'm solo 90 percent of the time down there. I drive a Silverado 6 cylinder pick up and it does fine.
YZO024

Post by YZO024 »

I was out Friday night was fishing right across the street from Saltgrass bait, the canals that run along levee rd and 332. There was so much bait in the water, and red and trout were blowing up like crazy. I hooked up on 1 but what ever it was straightened the old treble hook. I should have tied a new hook being it had been on there for several months, but I was in a hurry.

As for camping on the beach, just stay close to whats left of the dunes, and be careful getting on Surfside for the first 3 entrances. They get Really soft at times.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Cityfisher wrote:
CoachFlex wrote:I've been thinking about doing some trips like this. I'm just a little curious about staying on the beach solo. Have a tahoe i can camp in, but how is it?

Surfside is safe. It's my home away from home when the weather permits. I'm solo 90 percent of the time down there. I drive a Silverado 6 cylinder pick up and it does fine.
FYI about camping there again. I was down again this Sunday and drove from Beach Access Rd# 4 all the way to BA# 1. looking for a friend that showed up and wow, I haven't seen that many people on the beach in years. There were so many and so close to each other you couldn't see the water. And to confirm what YZO024 said, it got really soft from BA# 3 to BA#1. One reason I always go down to BA#5. The sand is less tore up and it is way less crowded