TKF 5000 Club

Night Light Action West Galveston Bay 4/10-4/11

Post by kickingback »

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Night Light Action West Galveston Bay 4/10-4/11

Post by kickingback »

Forgot to mention that the bait was EVERYWHERE even NOT in the lights. I threw to the sounds of biting bait in the dark and hooked up twice!
At the ramp when I recovered, the bait was so stacked up on the ramp that many small menhaden were stranded by my small kayak wake when I beached. That is a lot of bait!!
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

That looks like a good time. Were the fish biting in the lights or just outside, in the shadows? I tried fishing some lights for the first time a couple weeks ago and didn't have success, despite some bait balls in the lights.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report - congrats on being able to get out when a weather window opens. You made the most of it!!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice, thanks for the report.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

JohnnyUtah wrote:That looks like a good time. Were the fish biting in the lights or just outside, in the shadows? I tried fishing some lights for the first time a couple weeks ago and didn't have success, despite some bait balls in the lights.
Night fishing is just like day fishing except the fish are feeding differently than day time. In daylight hours the lights are not on to draw the fish to that one spot. The fish are scattered looking for bait.
At night the lights draw in the bait. If you see lights without bait you can bet there are no predator fish around either. Look for bait and look for shadows of larger predators swimming in or around the light. Sometimes you may not see the predator fish but they can be on the bottom coming up every so often to feed on the bait.
Once I find bait in a light or "hear" predator fish "popping" the surface hitting bait fish I will throw a lure to them. If in a light I will throw past the light on either side to the outside edge of the light and reel in. If I get a strike I immediately set the hook and reel in "fast" to avoid the fish running back and forth spooking the other fish. If no bites then I will throw to the same spot and let it sink to a count of 1 second per foot deep. If the water is 5 feet deep I throw, count to 5 and retrieve slowly feeling if the jigs are hitting bottom and reel in a bit faster to keep it off the bottom and snagging anything, especially the light cables.
If I don't catch on the outside edges I throw over the middle and reel in through the light the same way. 1st cast upper column retrieve and then a bottom retrieve.
Bait size is important as well. If the bait in the lights is small then a small profile lure will work better. Matching the hatch is the best thing you can do to get a bite. Try throwing shad looking imitation if there are shad in the lights. If mullet then go with a larger mullet looking lure. I have been throwing 2" and 3" paddle tails and have been having good luck. If they don't hit the 2", I go to 3" and vice verse. I also try tiny panfish diving baits or even the small top-waters with a lip that will dive when reeled in. Bring a few sizes and colors and experiment. You will never know unless you try and if you are not catching fish with what you have why keep doing the same thing with no results? Change is important on the water and you have to look, listen and use your knowledge of how fish feed to catch more.
Color wise, like I said try to match the bait. I have been throwing a firetiger paddle tail swim shad and have been getting many good bites with this color. Glow/chartreuse are good colors too. You can buy some white or glow lures and use sharpies to give them some color to spice them up. A little red on the nose of lure to imitate a mouth and gills, a little black spot for shad decoration, or some green or black on the back to give it more definition. Experiment coloring on your own and you may find what you are looking for. The lights make the lure colors look different under water so if you have a light at home you can experiment in water to see what I mean. Videos on YouTube discuss colors and lighting as well.
Retrieve speed can make a difference also. Try slow at first then fast at different depths too. Sometimes stopping the retrieve mid reel can induce a strike like a bait fish swimming and injured and just stops. The predators kill injured bait fish like this. I try to think like a fish when I am on the water. It helps me decipher what they may be liking. This seems to get the bigger fish to bite as well. If you see my reports I catch quite a few larger predators and I can give credit to learning from others here and around Texas. Good people give good advice and I try to retain all I can to make me a better angler.
Bottom line is to try a few lures to find what they want that night you are fishing.
Also, listen carefully for popping sounds of fish feeding. If they are feeding where there are no lights go ahead and throw to them. Sometimes these predators get a swarm of bait and work in unison to attack and devour them. While they are popping bait if you throw in them you will catch one, trust me. Don't shine your light where they are busting top as you will spook the bait fish and the predators. Just throw where you hear them. It takes practice but is fun when you hook up.
This night I went out I met two other kayakers and they said they could not get any to bite. Since I pre-rig my tandem paddle tails I gave them a couple to try and immediately after he tied one on and threw it to a light nearby he caught his first fish and he later said that it made the difference and thanked me.
Good luck!
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Great reply... thanks for taking the time to help others out!
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Thanks for the detailed night fishing tips, now I just need to get back out and apply some of these techniques. This is why TKF is so great, everyone's so willing to share info so us less experienced anglers can learn and succeed.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

kickingback wrote:Image
Your night-fishing skills & comprehensive fishing reports are much appreciated, KB. I feel like I just read an informative article in a saltwater angling magazine.
Hope you can ditch your dang kayak motor for one night & come compete in the NIGHTTIME TOURNEYImageImage️! If Shoffer is unable to compete for any reason, then you're welcome to team up with me. Ha ha. We'd win it!
Let's have a nighttime fishing party!
IMG_1312.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

JohnnyUtah wrote:Thanks for the detailed night fishing tips, now I just need to get back out and apply some of these techniques. This is why TKF is so great, everyone's so willing to share info so us less experienced anglers can learn and succeed.
I once was in your shoes :dance: ...
TKF is a great tool for anglers as long as people keep posting reports to help others.
Although I like to see people catching fish it is always better, in my opinion, to give as much detail as you can to help others less knowledgeable on certain angling skills. I will not usually read or reply to a post that just has pics and no details about how, where or why they caught them. No help so I will not give them credit to come back and do it again and again. A waste of time in my opinion.
If everyone posted at least one tip everyday can you imagine the knowledge you would have in a year!?!
My pleasure to help where I can!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Dandydon wrote:
kickingback wrote:
Your night-fishing skills & comprehensive fishing reports are much appreciated, KB. I feel like I just read an informative article in a saltwater angling magazine.
Hope you can ditch your dang kayak motor for one night & come compete in the NIGHTTIME TOURNEYImageImage️! If Shoffer is unable to compete for any reason, then you're welcome to team up with me. Ha ha. We'd win it!
Let's have a nighttime fishing party!

IMG_1312.JPG

Love that picture Don! I never take any pictures of the canals like this but i always find it so beautiful to see these lit up canals at night! I saved it if you don't mind... :lol:

I most likely will enter but like I said I will wait and be at the ramp to team up with someone that needs it. You are skilled and if you and I were a team we would blow everyone away and that's not fair... :lol:

So looking forward to the NIGHTTIME TOURNEY️️!
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

I do know this post is from last year, I really like this post, and the pics are awesome. I was wondering if you could guide me to picking out my first night time canal fishing trip? I stumped on Treasure Island, Pirates cove, and Jamaica beach lights. I've done on-line research, YouTube, and google maps. I don't want or need to catch a limit, I just want to go, relax in the cool or humid night time, catch a few fish, and be safe. I'm worried about home owners fishing and how they treat kayakers in the canals. I heard from a kayak group that Bayou vista home owner practically shoo you away from their light.
Thanks Mr. Kicking Back.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I know your question was for KB and I am no KB but I have fished with him a few times. I would recommend Sea Isle as a good night time spot. Lots of surface lights in the bay, lots of lights in the canals, and generally nice home owners. Our rule is we don’t fish the lights if the owner or anyone in the dock is fishing their lights. Also be as quiet as possible. Even though the water is not their property, be mindful of the fact that you are fishing while they are likely sleeping and if disturbed, they can flip a switch and end you visit at that light. Treat the light as you’d want someone to treat it if it was you on land and you should be okay.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Watson is a fish catcher and knows his stuff! The best thing you can do is like Watson said try Sea Isle. I also suggest Pirates cove as both are east to access and launch. When you fish the lights work your bait slow. Throw past the light and let it sink one second for each foot to get the bait near the bottom. If it is 5 feet deep I count to four and then slowly reel in. I find the bigger fish on the bottom usually. Work the outside of the light first in case you hook up and you may not scare the rest in the light. Then you can throw to the light again if the fish didn't spook. Try to match the bait size with lures for better hook up. Go with someone to learn the first time and you will find it very relaxing and enjoyable!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Let me supplement my fishing buddies' (Kickingback & Watson) good nighttime advice by adding that sometimes we head across the Galveston Ferry to fish some decent underwater green lights in a Bolivar neighborhood not too far from Rollover Pass. You can get further details from Google aerial maps or contact Capt. Shoffer.
The only negative over there is a couple of obnoxious German Shepherds barking their lungs out if you pass their owner's bayhouse. I'm not proud of it, but one dog almost bit me, so I retreated about 40 ft., then walloped him between the eyes w/ a jighead. He quickly ran to the backyard & shut up. Shoffer laughed his paddle off. I can do that to people who piss me off, too. Easier than Kung Fu...

Have fun at night, men! It's too hot now for day-fishing.
IMG_8280.jpg

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Pack has a group night fishing trip coming up I think next month August. I went to it last year, it's a great way to get your feet wet and start to learn the ropes. You'll also be with a group who will look out for you (buy a vhf radio though I also recommend).

Packtx.org