West Galveston - 4/8

JohnnyUtah

West Galveston - 4/8

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Long-time listener first-time caller. I've enjoyed reading everyone's reports, tips, and discussions on this forum for about a year now and for some reason feel compelled to come out of my shell and finally contribute.

So, without further ado...

I'd been waiting for the wind to calm down to single-digit speeds and Sunday presented itself with light winds out of the Northeast. A South shoreline seemed like the best area to find protection, so I visited one of my usual haunts in West Bay that typically gets plenty of pressure. However, on this morning I didn't pass another soul on my paddle out to the marsh. Now as a novice fisherman, I didn't know if this was a good or bad sign but either way I was going to try. I made my way to a narrow gut about 5 feet deep on a low incoming tide and found birds following bait jumping out of the water and the predators chasing them. The blowups on the surface weren't big but as I closed in I could see there was a small school of reds chasing little white shrimp. I took a minute to watch what direction they were moving and tried to put myself in the best possible position. I quickly realized they were heading away from me so the chase was on. I paddled through the gut (which is about 100 yards long) and caught up to them just before it opened up. As I was trying to position myself to make a cast they turned 180 degrees and started heading right towards me. I made a few casts with a topwater and Buggs as they worked their way back down the gut but didn't get any takers. After they passed by I took the opportunity to tie on a jig head with paddle tail and set off to catch up with them. It only took a few seconds to see they had turned again and were heading back my way. I picked a spot roughly in the middle and decided to stay put and see if this behavior continued. As they approached I slung the paddle tail in front of them and let it sink to the bottom while I waited for them to get closer. When I could see they were nearly on top of my lure I started my retrieve and was rewarded with a hefty thump. Line immediately started peeling off my reel and I hung on for the ride. Every time I'd get the fish close to my kayak it would make another run and peel off more line. After a minute or two he'd exhausted himself and finally let me net him. I snapped a quick picture and measured him before letting him go - 23 1/2" - "not bad" I told myself.
B9941851-02D6-4C58-8259-F59081E69913.JPG
As I released him I wondered if our battle had spooked the rest of the school. It turns out that reds are pretty tenacious when they're feeding, the school was still within casting distance and didn't seem disturbed by our ruckus the least bit. I made a few more casts and caught a few more reds measuring 20" - 23", while they cruised back and forth through the narrow gut. The incoming tide must've finally brought enough water that they broke their cycle and headed out to places unknown.
DB8C7140-42AD-4C52-9310-F29A39045CFF.JPG
The weather wasn't the greatest - there was a fine mist in the air and the temps were a little chilly, but the wind wasn't bad. After days of waiting I was glad to finally get out and hook up with a few of my finned friends.

JohnnyUtah
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: West Galveston - 4/8

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Congrats on the fish and great 1st time report! I wish mine would been that good. Keep em coming I'll stay tuned for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Awesome fishing! Some nice pigs caught!
Very good 1st report and thank you for posting! We all like to hear some fishing reports to help us decide how, where, and when we will be fishing in the future. Reports like yours help for sure! Well done!
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Great report. Sounds like a lot of fun.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That was a very enjoyable report. Thanks for sharing.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Same sentiments, great 1st report!

Interesting on the red's movement back and forth. I wonder if they were positioning themselves in that area, and just waiting for the shrimp bait balls to come through until they got too far past the cut and would spread out on the flat, so they knew to go back to the entrance and wait for more bait balls to come?
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

I'm definitely not an expert on redfish, that was the first school I've come across, but your theory is sound. The narrow section concentrated the bait and maybe the faster moving water made them easier targets.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report, thanks, and congrats on a great outing.

I will be on the lookout for one of those shooting gallery redfish schools!!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I agree, Johnny Utah. I enjoyed your first report very much, and implore you to continue contributing. I felt like I was in the kayak with you.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hell of a first fishing report, Mr. Utah! You may have the inner strength & skills of a Night-fishing warrior. Consider joining our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY coming up Saturday May 19th.
See you on the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

Nice report!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk