Reel slow night

poleposition

Reel slow night

Post by poleposition »

Had an opportunity to fish Sunday night and thought I'd get warmed up for that Nighttime Tourney. Met my buddy at the ramp and off we go into the chilly, drizzly night. In the dark, with every paddle stroke, tiny glass minnows went flying. So the bait is there. Okay. Light pickings were slim - most were off. Looks like an underwater light night. With an opening night paddletail, I get thumped first cast. Lost one on my second cast. Third time gets me a 16" speck. Moving into a canal, the baitballs are intense. I throw the arsenal at them but the trout know better that to touch anything not swimming in a slow circle. In a light open to the bay, I throw a sexy shad and let it sink. I retrieve slow - crawling - while gently shaking my rod tip and I'm in. Never been pulled so fast! This 8 lb red pulled me out, back, into a bulkhead, and then tried for a boat dock. I braced my foot against the bulkhead and thumbed the spool praying my alberto and palomar knots would stand the abuse. Finally get it in the boat and decide to return to a previous light with my new favorite lure. I stick with the crawling, shaking retrieve and net a 22" red. Feeling good now. :D We paddle on to a deeper area where I net a fat 17.5" speck and a bunch of rats. My buddy joins in the action with a few rat reds. I hooked another 17" speck. Things start slowing down now. Then, during a pee break, the worst happens. My buddy loses his new rod and reel to the drink...On his Bday! OUCH! With that, he calls it and we start paddling back. As we're about to pass one of the first lights, I tell my buddy I want my limit. I throw my tandem vudu in glow and immediately hook a 21" red. NOW I'm done. Just warming up for the Nighttime Tourney fellas! LOL. See y'all soon!
Attachments
20180409_015507.jpg
Chubs

Re: Reel slow night

Post by Chubs »

Awesome! Great report. Sorry for your buddy's mishap though. I like those floats I put on my rods at Cuervo's suggestion, but like him I've never tested them out lol.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report! Glad you caught some nice ones!

Sorry about your buddy's rod and reel. I have floats on all my rods when I go fishing. I also invested in a 250 lb magnet to retrieve said rods and reels if they sink for whatever reason.
I have been wanting to go out and do a day of magnet fishing and try to pull up a few things. Where did he lose the rod? I may be able to retrieve it if I get over there in that area. I know tides will move the rod a bit but it should be in the general area and I can try at least.
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

• Kickingback - that is an awesome offer! He dropped it on the south side of tiki near the west end. Second to last marker was where he was. There's a reef at the last marker but apparently it was deep next to this one. It's a blue and orange fishstix rod and a shimano spinning reel. Combo is only a month old. Again, ouch.
blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel »

Hey Kickingback- thanks for the offer! Much appreciated! Just now put a plastic cup in the crate- what took me so long...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Know that area well my friend. That last marker pole there is a great spot to fish both night and day as the reef is high there and drops off next to that marker and it's a fish magnet. I think I have caught almost every species near that marker. :lol:
Please do not have high hopes but do have some hope. The current is fast there with the ship channel so near. There is a chance that the rod got snagged on the reef so I will scan the area the next time I am out there. Hopefully this Tuesday night was looking good for me to get out but still not sure what area I want to fish. If I do fish Tiki I will definitely drop the magnet and do a few passes in that area. The water can be clear enough to see the shallow areas of that reef in the daylight but I will bet the rod got swirled into a deeper area close by. That is where I will focus.
I will let you know for sure if I find it!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Fantastic detailed report, Mr. Pole Position. You must be at heart a real racer. Your night session was a winner from pole to pole. Sounds like you're gonna be tough competition in our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY!
Just avoid losing fishing gear because that detracts from casts & can make you come in last. Our dreams are all of future passed. Get hooked up & have a blast!
Looking forward to meeting you night warriors. Keep the reports coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

blind squirrel wrote:Hey Kickingback- thanks for the offer! Much appreciated! Just now put a plastic cup in the crate- what took me so long...
I wont be fishing that area tonight. I am sorry but the winds/currents are better for me over near SLP.
I will scan that area on my next Tiki trip like I said.