Galveston Island State Park

mwatson71

Galveston Island State Park

Post by mwatson71 »

So after paddling all night at Tiki/Causeway, i decided to take a shot at GISP. I launched right at 8a into Lake Como. There were quite a few kayakers out already and some light boat traffic. I paddled into the wind with a plan of drifting the lake a couple of times before heading out to the geotubes and the bay.

As I paddled out I realized I left my anchor in the car but since I didn’t plan on fishing long, I just let it go. The wind was going pretty good so my drift was pretty fast. It took a couple of cats to get the action right on my lure but once I did I picked up a small speck. A couple more drifts yielded a 16” trout. Time to move on to the geotubes.

I made a few casts into the boat lane on the way out to see if I could pick anything io in the cut but no luck. I threw into the grass and landed an 18” flounder. I like the way this is going. I made it out to the geotubes along with about 10 other kayaks. I talked to a couple of guys who picked up a few rat reds on tandem rigs so I spent some time throwing mine. Tide was really high so hard to find the cuts in the geotubes. I spent about 20 minutes out there but not so much as a bite.

It was a long and pretty hard paddle back into the lake. I was pretty tired after being out most if the night fishing the causeway. But I was a red away from my slam. See where this is going? I get back into the lake and think I’ll fish the windblown house right at the edge of the lake where it heads into the cut to the bay. I hear a small splash behind me and flip a tandem rig back tobthe spot. Instant taker. A 14” red. Two more casts result in its baby brother. A couple more casts into the bulkhead and another rat red. Feeling better about my fishing ability, I paddle in, load up, and go home.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Galveston Island State Park

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Well done! Sorry you didn't get the official slam but you did good to catch all the species!
Now you have a good time out story to tell the grand kids! The moral is to not give up and try all you know and you will succeed!
Great report!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I know right. I have never had an official slam but quite a few unofficials. I am just glad I didn’t get skunked. If GISP hadn’t been so crowded I am fairly confident I could have pulled it off today.

But it gives me motivation to get back out there.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I intended to write my reply here, but had a "senior moment" & posted it on your other thread.
Congrats on your persistence & desire to learn new fishing tactics as if your life depended on it.
Perhaps you feel my redfish pain since of my 8 hard-pulling reds last night, only one was keepable. But man oh man I got my arms stretched by those armored brutes all from 17-23" & darting around in those eerie green lights. I believe the nighttime reds I catch are friskier than the same-size daytime ones.
Hope to see you in our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY. Between now & then I hope to start catching a few specks, too. Oh my.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

Nice day man! I am still learning West Bay. I really like that area around GISP, Just haven't gotten it to produce much for me yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had fun. Also bet you are tired with back to back night / day fishing trips
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Surprisingly I was not as tired as I thought I'd be. I think the little power nap I took was helpful. I was also pleasantly surprised that I was not as sore as I'd be having towed my son back from the causeway (wind at our backs though), paddling back into the wind to try the causeway again, and then paddling all over GISP.

It was a nice warm up for the Nighttime Tourney (c) TM coming up.
flyfishinfool

Post by flyfishinfool »

Dandydon wrote:I intended to write my reply here, but had a "senior moment" & posted it on your other thread.
Congrats on your persistence & desire to learn new fishing tactics as if your life depended on it.
Perhaps you feel my redfish pain since of my 8 hard-pulling reds last night, only one was keepable. But man oh man I got my arms stretched by those armored brutes all from 17-23" & darting around in those eerie green lights. I believe the nighttime reds I catch are friskier than the same-size daytime ones.
Hope to see you in our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY. Between now & then I hope to start catching a few specks, too. Oh my.

When is the night time tourney?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

The final rules for the Sat. May 19th NIGHTTIME TOURNEY️ will be posted in a couple of days. Please stay tuned...