East Galveston Bay/West Galveston Bay Nighttime Combo - 3/30/18

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

East Galveston Bay/West Galveston Bay Nighttime Combo - 3/30/18

Post by shoffer »

DandyDon and I decided to hit the lights over this holiday weekend, and see how things shook out. We knew there would be tons of bait in the water, and we were right.

We launched at 11 pm, hoping to catch a 3 hour major feed with strong incoming tides, and a nearly full moon. Temps were 70 at launch, 63 at the end of the night. Water temps seemed to be high 60's, but my fishfinder connections were messed up, so I did not take it with me. Winds 10-18 SSE all night and crystal clear skies.

We hit the ferry and tried out some East Bay canals in which we have done well in the past. Surprisingly, there were few lights on this Good Friday, so we were kind of bummed after launch. I managed to coax a 21 inch speck to hit my Down South East Beast tipped with shrimp fishbites on a 1/8 oz jighead. She inhaled it and took off, and I was surprised when I netted her - I thought it was a red the way she fought. I also hooked two reds - an 18 and a little idiot.

There were a fair amount of people on docks and few lights illuminated, so we picked up and hit the 12:30 am ferry back to Galveston and launched at Sea Isle. There, I hooked 3 undersized reds, 3 undersized specks, and a legal red and flounder - all on the same Down South - and completed my first Texas Slam for 2018. DandyDon actually caught more fish than I did in terms of numbers, but I will let him chime in on his night - he had some fun.

While at Sea Isle, we fished 5 different sets of surface lights, and there were fish busting up little glass minnows, who would fly out of the water then they were hit, but since there was so much bait in the water, we had very little action from the surface lights. . Our action came on underwater lights.

As I approached the launch around 6 am, an old man from the bait shop came out and stared me down, as if to dare me to hit the closed ramp. So I did, and he yelled at me, told me the ramp has been closed since last year, and said that next time he would call the cops and ask them to cite me for tresspassing if he saw me out there again. I apologized for my error, and told him he had a super nice ass. :lol: That sent him back into the bait shop.

Nighttime Tourney rules are being created as we speak, so charge up you cap lights, boys, and pull your glo lures out - it is going to be fun!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: East Galveston Bay/West Galveston Bay Nighttime Combo - 3/30/18

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer's complete Sea Isle fishing report tells our sad story of being forcefully run out of the Sea Isle ramp area by the Marina manager, some burly asshole who thinks he's tough.
What Shoffer didn't say is that on our way outta there I stopped & had "a little chat" w/ that pathetic man. I told him we were LEGAL & within our rights to fish there because there were NO SIGNS declaring the Marina off-limits to launchers. They only have stacked up pieces of old wood blocking the 2 ramps, but all we did was lift our kayaks over that debris! Hello.
After scaring the holy crap put of burly boy w/ a couple of King Fu postures, I got us a full apology. But he did say the "No Trespassing" signs would be erected soon over there.
Long story short: don't try fishing over there until they finish all their Marina construction in a couple of months. And no. 2, never try to threaten me or I'll put you in the hospital.
Yes, I caught 8 redfish last night over the green underwater lights, BUT only ONE was in the slot, at 23". The rest (all 17-19") were released. God bless Shoffer for kindly giving me all his fish! Fish Fry tomorrow on Easter Sunday!
As Stewart said, we've written our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY©️™️ rules and will start that TKF thread next week. Hope some of you night warriors will join us! Let's GO GET SOME!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report! "Little idiot" with a "nice ass"! Love it!
Glad you put the law into the man's mind instead of his hate for no reason.
Sorry you guys didn't catch more slots but at least you caught some fish! Well done.
Look forward to the NIGHTTIME TOURNEY©️™️!!!!!
I got 2 "Nite ize armbands", a "Mustad LED hat" 2 "fish knot tyers/detanglers" and a "homemade gaff" for just a few of the prizes to offer. I'll send you pics Don or Shof soon.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Dear KickingBack, your NIGHTTIME TOURNEY prizes are even better than the goofy crap we're buying! Thanks for offering up your able assistance. Be careful you don't aggravate your sore shoulder by hauling all that gear around.
I officially now declare you a certified lieutenant of the NIGHTTIME TOURNEY. Congratulations! If anybody else wants to enter or help, please respond to next week's Tourney thread. We were hoping for at least 8 teams of two.
I predict the night action will improve for at least 2 months, hopefully until the water temperature goes to Summer boil. Let's have a fun competitive tourney. See you on the midnight waters...
IMG_5951.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice report! Sounds like y'all covered a good amount of water too.

I got out at 5:30 to give night fishing a preview, but 15 mph winds and 1" waves challenging me all by myself and I decided I'd like to see my kids at least one more time before I die :)
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Chubs - may I suggest that you use the wind velocity and direction and the first factor to decide when and where to fish? As you will learn, there is nothing more miserable than trying to kayak fish in windy conditions, so its best to leave the fish be until the wind calms. My recommended app is windalert.com. Free and very accurate.

For night fishing, wind velocity is not as important, as you are normally fishing protected canals, but direction can be important - canals that go north/south can be miserable in a strong north/south wind, and same is true for canals that go east/west in an east/west wind.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Exactly right! Also the wind blows the bait into the shore so the wind blown shores and canals will be best for bait and predator fish stalking them.
I use wunderground.com for a 10 day forecast of winds, temp and barometer and I use tides4fishing.com to get the tide info and the best times the fish feed.
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

Nice report! When we fish sea isle we dump in by the pier, and then paddle around to the canals to avoid the marina.

Better luck than we had in there this winter. No hits in 5 night trips there.

Hope to get back soon and try again.

Can somebody give more info or send me a link to this tourney? Sounds fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

When it comes to wind I rely on the tall flag in my backyard & 50 years of strong saltwater experience. I also tend to follow my junior partner Shoffer around AT NIGHT because he is truly the DARK MASTER. He sleeps in the daytime like Dracula, then comes alive at night. When he's really fishing hard & yelling out Indian war-cries, give him plenty of room. He can smell fish underwater & down-wind. One time, laughing like a maniac, he reached down into the canal water & lifted up a 20" speck.
Crazy antics like that won't be allowed at our May NIGHTTIME TOURNEYImageImage️, but let's belly up & find out who really rules the night. Entry fees will be $20.
Looks like we'll have cash & fish-gear prizes. I'm ordering 3 fishing trophies for the division winners. The Tourney Rules will be posted in a separate TKF thread in the next couple of days.
Let's light 'er up & GO GET SOME!Image

NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Guys,
Your Sea Isle comments brings to mind the question of the legality of launching in the private beach house communities, like Sea Isle and Jamaica Beach, where the only practical way to access their canals and adjacent waters is to launch onsite.
Are the boat ramps public, or strictly for property owners?
I have never night fished out of my yak, and the legality issue is probably the main reason.
I mean, I don't mind too much getting yelled at, although I would prefer to do the right thing. But I would hate to come back to the ramp and find my vehicle had been towed.
What say the attorneys???
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I'll speak for me only, I always launch at public ramps so that my car is more protected and does not get towed nor will I trespass on others property to launch. You can get in trouble in many ways; towed, broken into, slashed tires, trespassing, etc.
There are public launches near most lighted canal homes on the island.
That's from me, but of course you are asking for only lawyers opinions. LOL
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Appreciate your opinion, Kicking.

I wasn't trying to back anyone into a corner here, and I know it's sort of a sensitive issue.
Just trying to figure out where we stand.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hey guys, I'm a semi-retired lawyer, but worked 3 years for the best law firm in Texas (Baker & Botts) & 9 years doing multi-billion-dollar oil deals for Union Texas Petroleum Co. I know the law & can quickly find out what I don't know, if necessary..
Never park or launch at a ramp or site marked "No Trespassing" because it's private property. You could get towed. If any doubt, go elsewhere. Shoffer & I found out that Sea Isle is off-limits at least for the next 3 months while they complete some marina construction work. The employees there were rude & disagreeable.
Some bayside communities (eg., Blue Heron on N. Trinity Bay) have launch ramps ONLY for residents, so watch for any signs & avoid those, too. If any doubt, go talk to a marina employee or trustworthy local resident to determine whether kayakers like us can launch there.
In my experience, good public places to launch kayaks include the Jamaica Beach marina, the San Luis Pass public ramp, Galveston State Park, the Galveston Causeway, & the Watermans Restaurant ramp on Lake Como (West Bay), Pirate's Beach.
The last site is where our upcoming NIGHTTIME TOURNEYImageImage️ will convene for 7am morning measurements after our Saturday night of tournament fishing.
Obviously there are other nighttime kayak launches, but be wary of launching (or parking) on or too close to private property. I've had my tires slashed (two different times!) parking in non-public places to launch my yak.
Hope this answers your questions. Perhaps my legal colleague Shoffer will chime in. He & I have scouted weird launch sites up and down the Texas/Louisiana coast for many years, with "mixed" results.
My favorite launch is the one that coughs up a bunch of legal specks & redfish. Ha ha. See you men
IMG_3548.JPG
on the midnight waters!

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

shoffer wrote:Chubs - may I suggest that you use the wind velocity and direction and the first factor to decide when and where to fish? As you will learn, there is nothing more miserable than trying to kayak fish in windy conditions, so its best to leave the fish be until the wind calms. My recommended app is windalert.com. Free and very accurate.

For night fishing, wind velocity is not as important, as you are normally fishing protected canals, but direction can be important - canals that go north/south can be miserable in a strong north/south wind, and same is true for canals that go east/west in an east/west wind.
Good tips for the direction at night.

Also just wanted to mention I do plan for wind direction prior to my fishing trips to plan when I'm going to go. Velocity is also a factor on where I go. Hi wind = bayou/ marsh, low wind = bay (or also bayou/ marsh!).

So far all of my fishing days just seem to coincide with 15 mph winds minimum though lol.

But I've also not got enough experience yet to know my limits till I get there and feel the wind in my face :) Also I still think a 1 mile paddle with 15 mph wind in my face is doable to get to my destination, but not when I can't see!
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Thanks for your insights, DD.
But slashed tires, geeze, that's a bit harsh!
flyfishinfool

Post by flyfishinfool »

CoachFlex wrote:Nice report! When we fish sea isle we dump in by the pier, and then paddle around to the canals to avoid the marina.

Where do you park? I feel like i'd get towed if i parked at the pier.
CoachFlex

Re: RE: Re: East Galveston Bay/West Galveston Bay Nighttime Combo - 3/30/18

Post by CoachFlex »

flyfishinfool wrote:
CoachFlex wrote:Nice report! When we fish sea isle we dump in by the pier, and then paddle around to the canals to avoid the marina.

Where do you park? I feel like i'd get towed if i parked at the pier.
In that little area right in front of the pier. No signs that say anything besides pier is private.

flyfishinfool

Post by flyfishinfool »

when they put those wood barriers in front of the boat ramps, that's what kept me out of sea isle for a while. i'll have to look at the pier