2/2/18 A RedFish With Almost Every Cast

TrailChaser

2/2/18 A RedFish With Almost Every Cast

Post by TrailChaser »

I took the day off work Friday to head down to POC for some wintertime redfish action. My first time fishing for 2018.

My buddy Bill and I both bought a pint of live shrimp each and headed out into the chilly brutal wind.

First place we check was loaded down with reds. My first redfish of the year was an overslot beauty at 28.5". I took a quick pic and put her back in the water thankful for the sign of a good year to come. What a blessing that fish was! Here's a pic.

I spent the next couple of hours literally catching redfish after redfish. Bill was moving around try to find some trout with no luck. He did catch a nice 17.5" speck right after we arrived, but that was the ONLY trout caught by us that day.

We took off around 10:30-11:00am to see if we could find some sheepshead around the docks.

Bill caught a nice 18" sheepshead and we both caught a couple of undersize ones and had a bunch of bait stolen by the pinfish while actually landing a couple of those in the process.

Headed back to the Fishing Center for a quick lunch break and to get off the water and out of the cold for a few minutes.

After lunch we tried in vein to catch another keeper sheepshead, but didn't have any luck.

Decided to head back to the redfish spot and see if those guys were still hungry... They were and we were once again greeted with a redfish on mostly every cast we put out there.

In the process I caught a spotless red and a beautiful one with nine spots.. Here are those pics.

I honestly have absolutely no idea just how many I caught, but it was probably double my previous PB day of catching reds. I took a limit of 20-21" reds, and of coarse sent the rest swimming.

Here's the video proof, with lots of unedited back to back catches. :D
https://youtu.be/NQctCr1HhOc
Chubs

Re: 2/2/18 A RedFish With Almost Every Cast

Post by Chubs »

Very nice! Enjoy your videos.

I was hoping to find redfish in some marshy areas like I saw in your last trip but no luck.

For the sheepshead - how do you rig up for them?
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

Chubs wrote:Very nice! Enjoy your videos.

I was hoping to find redfish in some marshy areas like I saw in your last trip but no luck.

I've seen people tear them up with popping corks and shrimp near rocks/jetty. I figure this time of year a bottom rig (drop shot is my favorite) with shrimp/crab or imitations would work. I've heard they eat barnacles as well.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

What a way to start the year! Looking forward to more of your videos! :mrgreen:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice photos
stuman

Post by stuman »

I was there on Saturday 2/3 (wading out of a buddies PB) and we hammered the reds on DSL's. Lots of undersized but still got our limits. Trout on the other hand were tougher to come by. We each ended up with 1 keeper a piece with a few throwbacks. Had to really slow down the presentation early in the day to get a bite but later in the afternoon when the sun came out they were hammering them. Didn't matter how you worked the lure then.
Attachments
POC REDS_0773.JPG
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Thanks guys, I still wish I could have gotten a look at what was going on underwater.
Chubs wrote:Very nice! Enjoy your videos.

I just use a shrimp on a worm hook(like in the video) under a popping cork. The leader length is the key to success.
krfish

Post by krfish »

Bill said y'all had a pretty epic trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David.Lima

Post by David.Lima »

I'm relatively new to the area - where is POC?

thanks!

Dave
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

David.Lima wrote:I'm relatively new to the area - where is POC?

thanks!

Dave
Port O'Connor, Texas on the San Antonio Bay/West Matagorda Bay system. Southeast of Victoria, Texas.
Capture.JPG