Hangin’ with the Fishes—2018 flog

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Hangin’ with the Fishes—2018 flog

Post by Dandydon »

Please quit flogging this dead cold horse, Cuervo. It's growing tiresome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Dandydon wrote:Please quit flogging this dead cold horse, Cuervo. It's growing tiresome.

This flog is a valuable instructional document. All my hard-earned knowledge and stimulating thinkings are given to you, the people. For free. Learn from my angling adventures and you too can be a fishing hero that children will admire and not shoot spit wads and hollow points at. It is my doody as a citizen to help my fellow TKF anglers and lurkers catch lunker bass and pretty reddish and sultry speckled trout. The flogging will continue unabated!

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Great report! You know you had a good day bass fishing when your thumb looks like that!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Keep on flogging until the morale improves around here. I for one enjoy your floggings, but my tastes might run a little different than your average bear.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

“Sometimes I feel like I’m beatin’ a dead horse.
I don’t know why you been bringin’ me down.
I’d like to think that our love’s worth a tad more.
It may seem funny, but you’d think by now I’d be smilin’.”—Dead Horse, Guns ‘n’ Roses

Another day bassin’ and another entry to the flog (that’s short for “fishing blog” if you’re tuning in for the first time). Today’s episode finds me, Cuervo Jones out on rat patrol to try to get some topwater lunkers. But first a word from our sponsors....but I have no sponsors. Just clean livin’, friends.
On my last adventure, my butt froze colder than a yeti’s nuts. So I brought my high tech foam pad to avoid pooping ice cycles when I got home. It warmed up enough today that I was pretty toasty and pleasing to the touch by the time I left.
It even stifled my farts so I didn’t scare the bass and birds.
I’ll cut to the chase. One good blowup on the rat after a couple of hours chucking and grinding and then nothing. Maybe the rats aren’t hatching. Time to interrogate some fish perps.
TALK! Why won’t you eat my rat?! TALK I tell ya!!
What about you!?
“I met an old cowboy.
I saw the look in his eyes.”
“Something tells me he’s been here before coz
Experience makes you wise.”
“I was only a small child when the thought first came to me
That I’m a son of a gun and the gun of a son.
It brought back the devil in me.
But sometimes I feel like I’m beatin’ a dead horse...”
Color of choice was fire tiger somethingorother today.
Use this knowledge to catch some bass of your own! I won’t charge you or demand you praise my genius if you post a successful report. Oh, OK. You can send me a check for $29.95 if you insist.
I even caught a wild crankbait that was living free in the lake and tried to spawn with mine. Dirty little creep!
I explored a bit and cast about in some joints I don’t usually patronize. Not much bass action, but I found some promising water for spring when they turn hungry and frisky.
At least I avoided the dreaded:
Good luck on your own fishing endeavors. Wherever and whatever they may be.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I’m always amazed at the fishing related stuff you pull off the bottom or of out of trees or on walkabouts. My thing is finding popping corks with redfish still attached to them. Two or three trips ago, I was fishing along a reef and noticed a popping cork stationary next to the reef. I sort of forgot about it and moved a little down the reef. Next thing I see is the cork heading directly towards me. I pull up stakes and paddle over to investigate. I try to snag the cork. Under the surface it goes. Everytime I reached for the cork it would go under. After about a dozen tries, I finally caught the cork and pulled in a very lively 19” redfish. I got doused by the redfish struggling to get free. This kind of thing happens to me quite a bit.

There’s an imbedded message, omens, in this sort of stuff. There are no accidents. I’m working on decoding the message the corked fish are sending. It might be about mercy and freedom, but I don’t really know. TKF needs a resident soothsayer, an oracle.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ve only ever found one redfish on a cork. But I tend to fish more out of the way places. Plus I don’t spend as much time on the coast as I do inland. I did have a gull dive at my rat swimbait today. And I’ve had gulls grab at my topwaters in the coastal marshes. So maybe that’s sorta my thing too. Retrieving lures and rods from their watery tombs and messing with gulls’ heads. They’re weird anyway.
I forgot to mention the water temperature on the lake was a few degrees cooler today (started at 58 and got up to 62). Go forth and catch fish!

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Love the fishing report and all the photos!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Happy day of giving thanks!
I am thankful for fishing and kayaks and for TKF. I am thankful to everyone who posts up action-packed fishing reports and stimulating photos. I am thankful for the possum that licks my dishes clean every night when I put them out after dinner. And I am thankful that I’m going fishing at least one more time before I have to return to the sweatshop on Monday. That’s the day the boss beats and whips us with great vigor. What are you thankful for?

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Happy Thanksgiving to you to. And to everyone.
So many things to be thankful for.
My two awesome kids and grandson, and their families, my 3 brothers, friends.
Thankful for TKF for introducing me to kayak fishing. It honestly opened up a whole new world of fishing, outdoors and adventure. It changed my life.
I'm thankful to have the means and health to get out and enjoy all of that. The beauty I get to see out there exploring and camping under the stars.
Sometime sitting by the fire under the stars I'll look up and see how awesome it is... it makes the hair on my arms stand up.

And Cuervo, there is a family of opossums in my addict that sounds like a heard of wild hoggs running around up there. Maybe I can train them to clean my dishes and take the trash out for me! lol
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Black Friday is actually Black BASS Friday. Don’t believe me? Head to your local lake and see what the fish say. That’s what I did.
Leaves are fallin’ and bass are callin’. I got a late start because I had a food hangover from all the good food and prescription medication I stole from my neighbors yesterday when they passed out drunk. I’ve been alternating my time on the water between chasing lunkers and catching lots of average (16-20” fish). That means starting with swimbaits shallower and then heading deeper to mess with the big crankbaits. I have severe ADD so that works out great for my fevered brain.
Look for bait and deep structure!
Too many people only fish shallow. That works sometimes. But not always.
The bass always love cranks.
A guy on a red kayak paddles over to start fishing shallower. He started catching some little bass on spinning gear, but I knew the bigger ladies were deeper and want BIG meals.
I was attacked by this crazy little garter snake out in the middle of nowhere.
Actually, he was minding his business, swimming across the middle of the lake and I thought he might like a break. He hung out for a couple of minutes then hopped back in.
Fire tiger somethingorother was the color of choice again today.
This kooky bass got into the same hair dye that Steven Segal slathers onto his dome.
I just wish she was as fat as Steven.
Ok. That was fun, let’s chase some lunkers. I get some funny looks when I’m throwing big swimbaits around. Maybe because of the gigantic splash they make. Maybe because I fish without pants on. But bass are greedy and ravenous. Especially at thanksgiving. Meet Justine.
She was floating upside down with little Jorge the tilapia wedged halfway down her throat. What was she thinking?!
She wasn’t paying attention when Buffy the vampire slayer said to watch what you eat on turkey day!
I pulled Jorge free and both he and Justine swam away learning a valuable life lesson. What? I don’t know. I wasn’t paying attention. I switched from a rat to a bluegill swimbait thanks to Jorge’s near-fatal date.
Alas, the ol’ lady texteded me and said I need to get home immediately for some reason that makes sense to her but I don’t understand. Mine is not an easy life. Black Friday Bass are biting though. So for that I’m thankful.
Hope your Friday was fishiliacious like mine.

Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Love it. All of it. Danke dir, Muchas Gracias, Je vous remercie, thank you.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Most excelent!!
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I too fish without pants sometimes. Nice to know I'm not the only one..................great report sir!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I just can’t help myself! I HAD to get back to the lake one last time before returning to work tomorrow. Justine’s Thanksgiving gluttony haunted my dreams. Just picturing her beautiful, bigger sisters made me sweat and my ganglia twitch. I even started making videos of my casting so I could analyze them and see how to improve.
So I launched at the crack of noon and threw my Mattlures swimbait in all the fishy looking joints I could spot. One goofy bass tried to eat it just as I pulled it from the water, but nobody else put it in their mouth. A basscar guy in a fancy boat pulled into my cove and started flippin’ and pitchin’ while his buddy threw a white spinnerbait. Neither got anything and soon left. So did I. To interrogate some bass.
See this worm?
It’s not mine. It was attached to 50’ of line and this bass, but he STILL tried to eat my crankbait. Weird stuff happens to me all the time when I’m fishing. The next bunch of bass didn’t come with any accessories.
But they weren’t especially big and sexy like I was hoping.
These guys are chowing down on shad in 14-25’ deep creek channels and points. They’re cute and all and show you a good time, but they’re not the real head-turners you’re hoping for.
After getting my rod bent by enough of these party bass, I made up my mind to try for Gladys Maximus. So I threw my biggest bluegill swimbait in a spot the bass were hoovering up cranks earlier in the week. A few casts in and blammo!
Not quite Gladys, but she’s pretty.
I had one more about he same size throw the bait right by my kayak, so if you heard a man sobbing this afternoon, that was probably me.
But I’ve learned some valuable bassin’ information that you can benefit from. Namely, bigger bass want bigger baits and people who fish with light line and pink worms can’t even land little, wimpy bass. Oh yeah, here are the baits that worked today.
And I was the last person on the lake too!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Gee, Cuervo, up to 90 replies & over 10,000 views! You're HOT STUFF. But the freaking rest of us know how to click on the "NEW TOPIC" button.
Can you spell "LAME?"
IMG_7488.jpg

crusher

Post by crusher »

Cuervo,
Justine and Jorge might be related to the stupid fish that gave me my avatar. Some families just repeat the past mistakes.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Fish aren’t good at life. They keep doing stupid stuff (like biting our hooks) even though they really should know better. I found some relatives of your Eocene fish and Justine online:
Bass on bass violence is a problem in our waterways.
Frozen in time? Or just frozen in ice? We report, YOU decide.
Big giant pike chomping on a Zander in Europa somewhere.
Pervert frog doing the business to a poor, unsuspecting brown trout. It’s ok. He’s famous!
I even found a shirt that is perfect for guys like Kartsopo.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Here's a perfect tee shirt for you, Cuervo...
IMG_7490.jpg

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ve heard that a picture(or maybe pitcher, I wasn’t really paying attention) is worth a thousand words. So here’s my short, 4,000 word essay from this weekend.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Okay, who gives a baby an Incredible Hulk baby bottle?

Is that second photo a chain pickerel?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

karstopo wrote:Okay, who gives a baby an Incredible Hulk baby bottle?

Is that second photo a chain pickerel?
In between episodes of snagging fishing line from the lake bottom and screaming at backlashes that I like to make for fun, I also enjoy embedding my crankbaits in benthic obstructions. I made this handy lure retriever with a chunk of iron, some chains, zip ties, and a marker buoy. It’s saved my bacon (and crankbaits) more than a few times.
Fishing was slow today, Karst. But they’re there if you’re patient and have lived an honorable bassin’ man life. The Hulk bottle is my new spirit totem. He will journey with me on all my fishing adventures from now on. If you are reading this and are green with envy of my angling success, don’t get angry...get fishing!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

If TKF had a "Moderator," you would have been banished & banned long ago for your "ENDLESS" fishing report of 12 months. The rest of us dutifully click the "NEW TOPIC" button to show our separate trips. We have to live w/ our modest "views" & "replies" numbers.
Quit being a jerk & give us a break, Queervo.
P.S. Your hands are fat.

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Dandydon wrote:If TKF had a "Moderator," you would have been banished & banned long ago for your "ENDLESS" fishing report of 12 months. The rest of us dutifully click the "NEW TOPIC" button to show our separate trips. We have to live w/ our modest "views" & "replies" numbers.
Quit being a jerk & give us a break, Queervo.
P.S. Your hands are fat.

I have held my tongue about your comments because I didn't want to take away from these great fishing reports. But now I can't help it.
I do not understand why this bothers you so much. You are being extremely rude if you ask me! I happen to like this flog a lot. Who cares if it is a continual report of the year or a new subject each time. Does anyone really look at the number of reads and replies? Does it matter?? Anyway, a new one will probably start in 4 more weeks, so chill out!
The fishing reports are great Cuervo, keep em coming!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I was suicidally depressed that Dandy didn’t like my fishing blog (flog for all you new readers). I cried myself to sleep for weeks. Halfway through an antifreeze cocktail, I realized that I’d be even more depressed if a lawyer who naps instead of catching fish LIKED my flog. That cheered me up a bunch and so do all the positive comments. Fishing is a classy sport after all with no room for vasey flapdoodles and hooligans.
Tune in next time for more angling adventures!