Hangin’ with the Fishes—2018 flog

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Some of the other boards I stalk (with NO restraining orders, so don’t get any ideas) have fishing blogs (flogs) where guys post all their reports in one ongoing post instead of thousands of individual reports. Do we really need one of those here? I don’t know. But I’m starting one because...BLOG. All the cool kids who used to post here have their own and some pimp them out here still. Feh. I’m staying right here, TKF. So now, without further ado, here’s The 2018 Hangin’ With The Fishes flog:
Yesterday, I went to a small lake that gets rainbow trout stocked into it. Not for the stupid hatchery trout! Come on! You know me better than that! I went for the bass that are swallowing those little morsels!
Long story short (you’re welcome), I had one bite on a glide bait, but nothing else. It was nice to be out, but some jackholes on shore fishing with surf rods and huge corks were blasting mariachi music and yelling at each other in Spanish the whole time I was there. I, and everyone else, could here them clear across the small lake. Not the nicest experience. Also, BBZ Swimbaits are junk and break upon hitting the water.
Save your sheckles and buys something more useful, like a bottle of scotch or some meth.
Not a great way to start the year, I agree. I sought to redeem my good name today and headed for the bay. It looked like a good day for big trout, so I figured I’d hit a spot that I’ve caught some nice ones before.
With all the talk of trolling around here lately, I naturally began by trolling a cocahoe through the marsh and channels.
Wammy!!! First fish of 2018. Cute little fella, but not the size I was hoping for.
No tails or redfish wakes along the shore...because I had my fly rod all rigged and ready to roll. Redfish are diabolical and KNOW when you’re out to get them. Very well. Trout it is.
In the bay, there were boats all over and guys wading along reefs. Crap. I avoided them and hit some spots I know. I also picked up a floating beer can, an empty Super Spook jr package, and a sandwich container. All were in about the same are and hadn’t been floating long. Call to identify any, and I’ll gladly return them to you. People who litter make me fart. Minutes became hours and no fish ate my fat boy. I trolled slow. I twitched it just so. I trolled faster. Finally, just as I was about to go back into the marsh and try to scrounge up some redfish, a solid thump. Drag pulled and I thought I’d hooked a red. A couple of times around the kayak and more drag pulling, before I finally saw the flash...of silver!
First trout of the year is 25”. I gave thanks to the fish gods.
The wind died down and the mosquitoes began to fly sorties around my face and hands so I decided to head back. Image
Until next time, this is Cuervo Jones, the stable genius reminding you to give a hoot and don’t pollute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hangin’ with the Fishes—2018 flog

Post by karstopo »

Are we TKFers allowed to comment on your flog? If so, I’ll be the first to say, “nice trout!”

Good golly, miss Molly, what was up with all the people out on the water yesterday? The wind and the Sandhill Cranes and the geese make such beautiful music that I’m not sure how anything coming out of the stereo can top them, but to each his own.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

be thankful they weren't listening to my type of music... :mrgreen:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I speak Spanish if you need a translator & know Kung Fu if you piss off other fishermen or fisherwomen.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Comments, retorts, and questions are always welcome, Karst. I’ll NEVER understand why people go out into nature and then insist on polluting with trash, noise, and general crapiness. On the bay, one of the boats about a mile off was playing some god-awful, twangy, country music. I could clearly hear it over the sound of the gigantic engine. Fortunately, he only stuck around a few minutes. Maybe there’s a lot of deaf people who decided to go fishing this past weekend. Maybe the weird weather just brought out the worst in people. Either way, I’m glad most of my trips aren’t sullied by such hooliganism. Now to start planning for next week...

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

What a way to start the year! Congrats Mr. C! :mrgreen:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice Trout!!!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Comments, retorts, and questions are always welcome, Karst. I’ll NEVER understand why people go out into nature and then insist on polluting with trash, noise, and general crapiness. On the bay, one of the boats about a mile off was playing some god-awful, twangy, country music. I could clearly hear it over the sound of the gigantic engine. Fortunately, he only stuck around a few minutes. Maybe there’s a lot of deaf people who decided to go fishing this past weekend. Maybe the weird weather just brought out the worst in people. Either way, I’m glad most of my trips aren’t sullied by such hooliganism. Now to start planning for next week...

I'll never understand that either. I'll sometimes stay in an area to fish and paddle around even if I think there are no fish there just to stay away from people like that. lol I'd rather have a nice paddle in the quite of mother nature than deal with loud music and screaming.
That's a nice trout for sure!
Next weekend is looking pretty cold for my liking so I'll probably continue to be a couch potato for at least another weekend.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

mariachi.PNG
yesterday all I caught were dinks. :wink:
Chubs

Re: RE: Re: Hangin’ with the Fishes—2018 flog

Post by Chubs »

F.O.C. wrote:
mariachi.PNG
yesterday all I caught were dinks. :wink:
No fair, Cuervo had a backup mariachi band to help him locate the trout!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Solid trout, Cuervo, and a great report as usual. I am impressed by the amount of fishing time you are able to score. Mrs. Cuervo is clearly a keeper.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

After a short hiatus (pronounced hi-ate-us), I found myself back in the saddle and throwing lures at some bass.
Problem is...I got to Fayette lake and found out it’s kayak tournament day with about a gajillion guys in colorful face masks and shirts crawling all over the place. That’s in addition to the usual weekend crowd of basscar bassholes. I launched, cursed with the coots for a bit and started to fish, thinking I should have gone salty today. Bait is all over the joint in the creek channels.
Shad were flocking all over but no bass were chasing them as far as I could tell. I finally got one on a bass colored crankbait. I figured bass are probably jerks to each other like people. And like people, they’re probably secretly always wishing to get a chance to eat someone smaller than them. Or is that just me? Success! I hooked one in about 14’ off a point and he was about 18”, standard issue Fayette Lake bass. BUT...the fiend got off boat-side and I went back to muttering with the coots. After awhile, I figured maybe some bass were up shallower, looking to terrorize sunfish, so I commenced swimbait tossing.
Score! Maybe some big girls will swallow my bait...but it was not to be. Overall, I’ve had better days. But also worse.
If any of you TKF-ers are federal employees, I hope you enjoy your involuntary vacation and get to fish some!
Bonus section!
From now on, all Cuervo Jones-certified fishing reports will include the lures that caught fish. Today’s menu:

Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Thank you, Cuervo! Prior to your timely life prolonging post, I had just today achieved a new personal best yawn and at least a double limit of sighs thanks to being under de facto house arrest and highly restricted physical activity regimen. The surgery went great, it’s the boredom that’s going to kill me.

Please go fishing more, all of you, please.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

It might be a couple of more weeks till I’m back on the water unfortunately. Until then...I’ll be watching the fishing reports.

screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i followed your advice and purchased some meth... been up for 4 days now... :lol: :lol:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Meth really helps you keep your edge when it comes to those early morning trout hunts! But today I’m more mellow. Can’t be out fishing, so I’m seeking solace in this.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Looks like very good therapy - at least until you can get out again! :lol:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I can’t complain, Mr. Yak. Still, I’d rather be put chasing fish. I get fidgety and cranky if I’m not on the water. I mean, if the aliens invade tonight, and I haven’t been out fishing, I could get blown to smithereens on a day without any angling! What kind of sad tragedy would THAT BE?
I keep hearing about all these illegal aliens pouring into our country and how we need a giant wall to keep them out, but all I can picture is the Springfield dome. And that didn’t work out too well.
But I’m not smart enough to have these things figured out like our fearless leaders in Washington, so I’ll just keep messing with fish and mind my own business.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Going fishing seems to be the cure for many ills. I think those federal government political types would be much better off and by extension we would be too if they only went fishing more. They would certainly be less cranky.

I’ve been trying to bully my medical professionals into fast tracking my clearance to many activities that will lead to me getting back out on the water. I got a lecture today from the NP to slow it down. But, I’ll have a fishing rod in hand before too long.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I say we should simply annex Mexico. It is time. It is the best solution. Then we'll build wall at southern border of Mexico state and reap yuge savings (since it will be 5 times shorter).

Waddya think? I bet if you run a Crimea-style referendum in Mexico 99% will vote for joining to long-forgotten motherland.

Hmm... Might be a good platform to run on in 2020. Too bad I wasn't born here... But, hey -- it didn't stop Obama! This is truly a land of opportunity!!!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Hmmmmmmmm...reunite Mexico and the US...I like it. The meth will be even MORE accessible then! You’ve got my vote, crusader. Uniting North American rather than dividing it is groovy by me. It would make it easier for me to chase bonefish and permit on the Yucatán!

screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

lmao
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ve had to travel north where the snow falls and the population is sparred. Both are to my liking.
Into the mountains and the unknown I plunge.Image
The stream is low and cold.
Took a guess as to what might make fish hungry based on previous experience. When my artificial hooked a natural, I saw it was a good guess.
The wind was gusting over 30 mph and I kept getting tangled in vegetation, myself, and anything else I could possibly entangle.
Managed to get 3 browns, and every single one got off before I could snap a photo. My reflexes were off. It I saw that the locals are keeping busy.
A couple of other guys on stream had equal harsh luck. Some risers eating midges kept me busy, but I couldn’t get any to eat. A guy who hit them about 20 minutes later landed one and I saw it was about 10”. Not too shabby. Note to self...tie more small (#18-22) Adams dries for the next time I encounter these picky devils. Snow started coming and I packed it in to get some food and drink. A muskrat kept me company for a bit, paddling around and looking goofy.
Not the fishiest trip, but great to be out in my beloved Rockies. Cuervo Jones, signing off.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’m a picker. I’m a grinner. I’m a lover. I’m a sinner. Truer words have never been uttered by anyone ever.
Well TKF, not all fishing reports are chock full of pretty fish like bass and redfish. This is one of them. I got a late start on account of my truck battery being dead. Yep. The Cuervllenium Falcon was without power and I had to borrow the ol’ lady’s vehicle to make a run to Walmart and retrieve a new one. With that late start, I shoulda just gone back to bed, or hunted silverfish in my attic. But like an idiot, I insisted on ignoring this bad omen and going fishing.
I had my palpitating and irregular heart set on fly casting to redfish, so the clouds building up on the horizon made me cranky. Long story short, as the day warmed up, I found plenty of redfish. But I saw them as I drifted over them and they shot off leaving big, muddy puffs. Between the cloudy, choppy water and the cloudy sky, there was no seeing them until it was too late. I did cast at some wakes and mullet schools just to see if I could tempt somebody, but all I got for my troubles was this:
At least I saw some of these to brighten my day:
I kept paddling and drifting and standing and scanning, but it was all to no avail. I tried blind casting a bit too, but there’s so much algae in the lakes I was fishing that I kept pulling in globs of green instead of beautiful coppery fish. Time to tie up some super-duper algae and slime-resistant flies for next time.
Hope you did better than me today, teen angels.
Cuervo Jones, keeping the light on for you.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Roseate Spoonbills are a favorite of mine. I like almost all birds. I like fish, too. I haven’t seen a redfish in over two moons. Someone needs to build a kayak with an early detection system for redfish paired with an automatic brake. It looked pretty impossible to hunt reds today with the wind and light.

Keep the reports coming, Cuervo.