Bustin’ Fatty Bass with Swimbaits 12-3 and Eating Disorder Treatment 12-4

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Bustin’ Fatty Bass with Swimbaits 12-3 and Eating Disorder Treatment 12-4

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Face it, it’s not hard catching bass when they’re schooled up, hoovering up shad in creek channels this time of year. Per my last few trips, I knew I could come out, yank out a ton of 2-4 lbs bass and go home with a shredded thumb to post my report. Meh. I decided to chase the fatties today and that meant throwing big Baits that look like sunfish, tilapia, and gizzard shad. To make it even more challenging, I even ate one of these, ol’ fishermans’ superstition be damned!
I started with the tilapia pattern Mattlures Hard Gill and never switched it out.
First one was an average size and nothing to pee my pants about.
Next one inhaled it and went 5 lbs 6 oz on my handy Berkeley digital scale.
Feeling pretty good, I kept flinging the swimbait and connected with a 6 lbs 4 oz fatty that jumped/wallowed a few times before landing boat-side in my net.
Not a bad day. I planned to keep going, but the weather turned to this.
And when the lightning starts, ol’ Cuervo hits the bricks and avoids premature electrocution.
Literally a gully-washer!
Question: if you were an obese, lazy, hungry bass, which would YOU prefer?
Fat bass are bitin’! If you’re not gonna chase ‘em, I sure will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Bustin’ Fatty Bass with Swimbaits 12-3

Post by F.O.C. »

Awesome Catches! those are nice looking fish.

Fishman and I tested that superstition one time. We still caught some nice reds but got rained on and got the trucks stuck at the launch. :D
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Agreed, those are the kind of bass I want a lap dance from. I love the lure, how deep are you fishing that lure? Does it sink on its own or do you add weight to help it sink?

Nice fish, lure, report, and avoidance on being a crispyfied by the lightning.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

This one is a slow sinker I think. They come on floating, slow sink, and fast sink versions. Awesome lure that’s been around about a decade now. Now I’m thinking bananas=dangerous weather conditions! So many experiments to perform and so little time!!!!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:This one is a slow sinker I think. They come on floating, slow sink, and fast sink versions. Awesome lure that’s been around about a decade now. Now I’m thinking bananas=dangerous weather conditions! So many experiments to perform and so little time!!!!

Keep the experiments coming. Slow sinkers, do you think those creek channel bass are rising up in the water column to ambush those Mattlures Hard Gill lures or are you just being very patient and letting the lures settle to where the bass are suspended?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

You've been on the bass for a while now. Very nice catches!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I have vacation days to use before end of the year, so I took the day off from the sweat shop to chase bass again (pronounced Ay-Gayne). So enthralled was I with the swimbait day I had yesterday, I wanted to get in one more round before the cold front.
Unfortunately, I think I gave the bass ladies a complex by talking about them lately and calling them “fatties” and “big Bertha” and I feel just simply awful. After launching, I made a cast and BOOM. First bass of the day. That’s usually bad mojo. Catching a fish first cast means stuff is about to go south.
Oh no!!! Anorexia claims another victim! When will the madness stop?! Who wants a bony, skinny fish when you can have a nice, curvy lady bass?
I gave her the number of a good therapist and sent her on her way. Hoping that my chubby girls were still around, I went back to my spots from yesterday. Oh no!!!! Jessica!! Not you too!!!
Since it was only starving fish trying to eat Swimbaits today, I figured I’d break out the jig for a Morse code session. Waiting for that sweet *tap tap POP* that translates to “set the hook, stupid!!!”
The first fish was in 8’ up outside the channel.
And in case you were feverishly wondering, yes, I make my own jigs. I enjoy the buzz I get from inhaling lead fumes.
Respectable fish.
Got a couple more like that and called it a day since he wind was powerful and made getting around less than pleasurable. This was the final runt of the day.
I’ll get back to the salt in time, but these bass are a whole lot of fun. They pull really well too. I’d forgotten how much a 6 lbs bass can yank. I’m setting my sights on a 10 lbs fish and will not rest until I catch one. Mark my words, TKF. Yeah.

Cityfisher

Re: Bustin’ Fatty Bass with Swimbaits 12-3 and Eating Disorder Treatment 12-4

Post by Cityfisher »

One thing I noticed about the bass when I used to go with my dad there, a 2 or 3 lb bass in that lake pulls like a 5 lb bass in conroe or somewhere else. They are strong!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ve never fished Conroe, but the Fayette bass ARE psycho! I wear my lucky hat when throwing Swimbaits.
I got it when visiting Perris over a decade ago and I learned about Jerry Rago and his giant Swimbaits from this photo in the marina.
I actually laughed and thought it was photoshopped. Then I found out that that’s Jerry’s cousin who was visiting from Idaho and caught the 18 lbs fish on a Rago Generic Trout. Man. I need to throw Swimbaits more often! And visit Amistad!

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Holy Moley they get that big?!

I was looking around for lakes on the west side of Houston, is Fayette lake it? I'm out in Fulshear so thought eagle lake might be close, but I see no info about that lake.

Fayette looks to be right around an hour though which isn't bad compared to getting to the gulf (1.5 hrs to the closest launch).
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Eagle Lake is private and used for goose hunters to lease. Fayette is pounded heavily by bassholes in their Basscar boats and they generally act like tool boxes. So be warned. If you can tolerate their antics and the hordes of castnet caballeros that stalk the shorelines right where you want to cast, its worth a trip.

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Cuervo Jones wrote:To make it even more challenging, I even ate one of these, ol’ fishermans’ superstition be damned!
Nice report as usual. Superstitions crack me up. I learned long ago about this one. I learned never to pack bananas on board another man's boat. A year ago, I had some Banana Boat sunscreen in my bag on a friend's boat for two days of fishing and he saw it and said to never bring that on his boat again. I responded that I had it in the boat the day before when 3 of us had limits of reds & trout plus a few flounder, so maybe it was good luck. He responded that it was probably because he didn't know I had it :lol: :lol:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Eagle Lake is private and used for goose hunters to lease. Fayette is pounded heavily by bassholes in their Basscar boats and they generally act like tool boxes. So be warned. If you can tolerate their antics and the hordes of castnet caballeros that stalk the shorelines right where you want to cast, its worth a trip.

What about Lake Somerville or Lake Texana for bass? I fished lake Texana a thousand years ago and it had some nice bass in it, but these lake change.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Chubs wrote:Holy Moley they get that big?!

I was looking around for lakes on the west side of Houston, is Fayette lake it? I'm out in Fulshear so thought eagle lake might be close, but I see no info about that lake.

Fayette looks to be right around an hour though which isn't bad compared to getting to the gulf (1.5 hrs to the closest launch).
Gibbons Creek is east of College Station. Don't know where you are, but CS isn't that far from the west side of Htown.
Xenarcher

Post by Xenarcher »

Looked for you Saturday, was hoping to meet the legend in person! Did pretty well with cranks in the 8-12’ depths. Hopefully will cross paths sometime. Great report and great fish!

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

BTW Cuervo, Each time I read the title of this thread, the linked song comes to mind. Don't ask me why. When it gets to the chorus read the title of the thread....it works. Also, this is one of my favorite covers of all time. The Gourds have covered a lot of artists, from Doug Sahm to Snoop Dogg, good variety, but they make them all sound like it's their song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Heh. That’s pretty good actually!