Solo Run 11/24/2017

preast

Solo Run 11/24/2017

Post by preast »

Had my sights set on Black Friday for a couple weeks prior and the closer it got, the opposite of what usually happens, happened. The weather forecast got better! When I left Austin about 3:15a according to plan, it was around 42 degrees. But by the time I passed Gonzales my truck was reading 37 and I started to worry since I brought no waders or jacket. Must be a low spot north of Cuero because usually there's a thick fog bank right there. This time it was 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding area. It was 50 degrees when I got to the Rockport area, so all was good again.

There was zero wind when I launched and even by 1p when I started the paddle back, it was barely a breeze. So, perfect temp, no wind, no clouds. Clear-ish water, zero surface chop. Just had to find fish. I've got the Troutsupport shallowater reds video and it always helps me to get my thinking straight about what's going on given the conditions. I also started off scouting with some of Tobin's lures and got a couple hookups on trout that I failed to land. I gotta say I didn't have to clear the grass once, and there was a TON of it. Action and castability is as advertised.

But pretty soon I found reds actively feeding in shallow water and it was all flyrod from then on. I made legitimate shots at upwards of 20 sighted fish, with most chasing down the fly, and over half taking. Nine hooked, seven landed, ranging from 19"-26.5". One tailer that was easily pushing 30" that allowed me to place a fly within a foot of its body no less than 10 times before it got fed up and wheeled around on it... then bolted. Dammit. Turns out the water was about twice as deep in that spot and I wasn't getting it down. Using a spoon fly but the good ole crack fly produced best. No flash.

I considered it a good day and I should've caught double digits. So was it worth the 7hr round trip in the same day? Probably. Definitely.

Just shy of 20

Around 19

Still flat around 10a

26.5" wouldn't fit in the net

Should I assume there's an obvious reason there was not one fishy inhabitant of this particular small lake?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Solo Run 11/24/2017

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Ahhhhh. Nice photos and inspiring report! Great looking reds you got there, and on the fly...bonus!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Looks like a great outing - thanks for the report.
As you say - that is why you make the trip.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've never failed to catch redfish on a fall afternoon in Trout Bayou.