Reds with my son

crusher

Reds with my son

Post by crusher »

Got out right before sunup with a strong predicted bite through the first half hour of light. Took the 1.2 hour drive at 5 a.m. with my 16 year old son, a Bucee stop, and on to our launch. Winds were calm, water was pretty cool, and it was a slow outgoing tide. The reds were hanging around oyster patches, fairly thick in places but not really schooled up. They were a little spooky but some of them took our plastic. My first two were 19 1/2 inch and 19 7/8 inch, while the son already had a stringer going. There were a few birds guiding us from time to time but there wasn't the bird feeding frenzy that is typical of schooling reds. Between the two of us we caught with light silver/blue Cocahoe, a red paddle tail of some unknown brand, Manns Minus-1 shallow(top) water bait, and a white/tan vudu shrimp. Other than at the launch, we didn't come across another kayaker or boater for 5 hours. We kept just enough 21"-23" fish for a couple family meals but let quite a few go, also. The picture makes them look kinda weird, but in person they seemed quite normal - not sure what's up with the funky bumps and bends the picture shows. No records or PB were set but it was a great day with nice weather, several landed fish each, and time with my busy highschool kid.
Attachments
stringer.jpg
so close2.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Reds with my son

Post by kickingback »

If your talking about the fins of the red being the "funky bumps". Pictures can be decieving if you want to see something that is not there, or is there...LOL
Nice stringer Sir!
Chubs

Re: Reds with my son

Post by Chubs »

Cool, looks like fun. What general area did y'all go?