Bloody thumbs and two at a Time bass (11-25)

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

My bass fever is a pretty advanced case this time, so I booked it to Fayette Lake again this morning. So did half of Texas it looked like. I’d called ahead to the bass and asked what they were in the mood for today. My informant told me they wanted crankbaits and only crankbaits in 14-18 feet off points and channels. Fair enough. I decided to do some science today and see if they preferred a certain color.
The normal, sexy shad or the kooky fire tiger job. After all, they’re eating these things like popcorn now.
Place your bets now! And.....
Go!
The first fish ate the shad, but shook the hook boat-side, you know how tricky those bass are with crankbaits!
The next ate the tiger.
She was a fair size too.
It was neck and neck! Then they just started alternating. One on shad, one on tiger, one on shad, one on tiger again...it was like that all day.
Just when I thought one color was superior, the other one would start catching bass. It got to the point where they were both working at the same exact time.
A guy in a fancy bass boat had noticed my scientific experiment and gradually snuck over to within a couple of casts from me. He pulled two little fish in on what looked like a soft plastic of some sort. But after about 20 minutes, he motored over to ask if I was using live bait. The horror!!!! I would NEVER use live (or dead, or undead) bait to catch my fish friends. I’m an artificial lure man only. I told him the bass are only interested in crankbaits, but he didn’t seem to believe me and motored off. I caught a few more. On shad.
On tiger.
I can now tell you after several hours on the water doing science and countless bass volunteers, they don’t seem to care.
But my thumb does. It’s a shredded mess and bleeding in some parts.
If a guy claims to be a bassin’ man, check his thumbs! They’ll tell you right quick how much of a honcho he is.
I thought about going to the hospital for some drugs and attention from a pretty nurse.
But with my luck, she’d look like this and decide I need an enema.
NO thank you!!! So now you know what I know and probably more. Cuervo Jones, the scientific bassin’ man, signing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Bloody thumbs and two at a Time bass (11-25)

Post by Drifting Yak »

Those are some very nice bass Cuervo! The sexy shad would have been my choice - along with the nurse with the little hat....
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Drifting Yak wrote:Those are some very nice bass Cuervo! The sexy shad would have been my choice - along with the nurse with the little hat....
Great minds think alike, and so do ours. Sexy shad is usually my first choice in crankin’ baits, but I’m going to experiment more from now on. I figure the crazy fire tiger looks enough like a sunfish that the bass are going for it. That, or they just try to put anything that moves in their mouth, like a human toddler or meth-head. I was busy putting these in my mouth all day:
Bass are biting! Go catch some!

Edited to add:
If you want to learn good things about catching big bass, you can’t go wrong with these books. Big bass are like Big Foot. Very elusive and wary of average joe weekender. Be tricky and wily and you too can catch a glimpse!

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

CJ – a great report as always – nice pics – of fish and others. Congrats on your consistent production!!

A question concerning this days experiment – In previous reports you have indicated that the fish are at a certain depth range, which is not where most others were fishing. A couple of trips ago it seemed that you caught some nice fish on soft plastics, this day crank baits.

The question – have you been catching fish because you know where they are hanging out, or because of a specific lure that you have thrown?
Could the slow action PB’r throwing soft plastic have done better in a deeper water location?

Or perhaps it is that these are just your buds coming by to say “Hi”!!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

In the interest of science, I actually threw the Carolina rig to start. Got some pecks from sunfish or gar, but no bass. So I switched to the deep diver cranks that the bass always crave. The boat guy was in 12-14’ while the fish I was tempting came from a bit deeper it seemed. He was on the flank of a point and I was concentrating more on the channel. I think the bass just wanted a more shad or fish-looking bait instead of a bottom crawler. Bass are fussy and every day is another chance to experiment and do more science with them. Don’t get lazy!!

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Excellent, thanks

So the moral of the story - If at first you don't succeed, try something different!
Or, as in your case, listen to what the fish are telling you!
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

cool findings.

buddy of mine was just talking about bass fishing.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’m out right now and the fishing is RIDICULOUS!!!
Yes. That’s two bass on the SAME crankbait. Report to follow later.

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice trick!!