Reports from Rockport

Tombo

Reports from Rockport

Post by Tombo »

There are very few reports from folks living in Rockport as most of us have little time to fish do to damage from Harvey.
The Redfish bite is solid, particularly when the weather is warm like today.
I might go Sunday or Monday, would be nice to give folks an update. Good news is there has been little pressure on fish.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Reports from Rockport

Post by Drifting Yak »

I hope you slay 'em Tombo! Perhaps a slam is near!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll add there is no reason to stay away from Rockport.
We were down there Oct 20, Market Days were going at the harbor, and everyone was delighted to get our business.
The amount of new construction that had popped up in a month was phenomenal, as was the work being accomplished every day.
And there are many redfish.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

It has been about 6 years since I fished out of Rockport. It had gotten to where I could not find a trout over 2.5 lbs, as opposed to 10 years ago when we'd get a 4 or 5 pounder almost every day we fished certain areas. That and we sold the condo, then a friend with a house there for another few years after that sold his place too.

My hope has been that the reduction to a 5 trout bag limit might start to show up in the weight of the fish caught, and now I'm thinking that 3-4 months of a sharp decrease in pressure just may move up the time clock on my return by a year.

So I guess I need to start planning a trip for the Spring of 2018 :D
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

From the shore near the wrecked Art Center I caught and released a torrent of 17-18 inch FAT trout this morning. Had to finally quit fishing because my last lure got shredded beyond recognition. It was a blast and no other fisher folks were anywhere in sight. About three days ago from the same area I caught two reds and one trout in about thirty minutes of piddling around. The wind picked up after lunch and I did not go back.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

texnomad wrote:From the shore near the wrecked Art Center I caught and released a torrent of 17-18 inch FAT trout this morning. Had to finally quit fishing because my last lure got shredded beyond recognition. It was a blast and no other fisher folks were anywhere in sight. About three days ago from the same area I caught two reds and one trout in about thirty minutes of piddling around. The wind picked up after lunch and I did not go back.
Hey Texnomad....I tried to PM you but the system would not let me do that so am sending this. I am interested in knowing more about fishing around the Art Center. I am not too familiar with the Corpus area specifically but here's my dilemma. My in-laws have been staying on Port A since 1986 (snowbirds). We've fished plenty of areas on the island (including the surf) but now, with Harvey doing some redecorating, access to our usual areas has been limited. In any case and to add a little spice to the mix, my father-in-law is 86. He gets around pretty well for a man his age but we are now limited to areas that have easy access. My wife and I will be heading down there over Thanksgiving and am looking for areas that might be accessible. I know that this is a pretty wide open request, and the Art Center may not fit that bill, but thought I'd ask. Many thanks!
PS: I'll gladly shoot my number if that makes it easier.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

This is Rockport not Corpus . the Corpus art center is way down south about 40 miles from here. I will attempt a map of sorts to post. About half of that area I fish often is actually easily wheel chair accessible including the Harbor rest rooms. The little bay area is very good for yaks. I will get busy on a map to post.
Last edited by texnomad on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Google for directions to Rockport center For the Arts. Basically take Hwy 35 north to Rockport and 35 runs next to Little Bay right in town.
rockport fishing annotated.JPG
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thank you sir. Will check it out.
hooky

Post by hooky »

Howdy, I'm heading down to fish out of Rockport with a few friends next week. Based on some research, I'm assuming that little bay or St. Charles bay are good bets. I haven't been down there at this time of year or since the storm, for that matter. Any suggestions for kayak launches or general areas I should check out would be appreciated!
will be sure to submit a report on the action. :D
susanto1228

Post by susanto1228 »

Fished Rockport yesterday beautiful day on my YAK..caught lots of Reds probably lost one of my PB Reds looked like a 30" but I did manage to keep one at around 23" let go of a bunch of rats plus some close ones.

Big trouts...first cast caught a 26" Speck thought it was a red then a 22" lots of small ones

Rockport never disappoints probably will be my retiring city.
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Post by StevenM »

susanto1228 wrote:Fished Rockport yesterday beautiful day on my YAK..caught lots of Reds probably lost one of my PB Reds looked like a 30" but I did manage to keep one at around 23" let go of a bunch of rats plus some close ones.

Big trouts...first cast caught a 26" Speck thought it was a red then a 22" lots of small ones

Rockport never disappoints probably will be my retiring city.
I can relate. Had a place down there for three years now and hopefully making it permanent soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Last night I could see Redfish hammering small shad on the windblown shoreline. This was about 7PM, but I was on the shoreline with binoculars.
This morning with a kayak, fished same place but nothing. Loaded up and went to a larger marsh with same results. Just some happy mullet.
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Tombo
Would love to hook up sometime when we are there
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

StevenM wrote:Tombo
Can't promise I can go. Its not that I don't want to its the back problems, might need surgery. But, until then please give me a call or PM prior to coming down.
Tom
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Follow up fishing report. Went out the next morning and watched the sunrise for Easter. Good thing as there were no fish.
Went back in the evening when I watched the Redfish hammering shad. Shad were there but no Redfish!
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Tombo wrote:
StevenM wrote:Tombo
Can't promise I can go. Its not that I don't want to its the back problems, might need surgery. But, until then please give me a call or PM prior to coming down.
Tom
Not a problem we'll be down this weekend again
We're down there almost every weekend