Couldn't find any keepers in Jones Bay

raaalph

Couldn't find any keepers in Jones Bay

Post by raaalph »

Headed out the morning of Sunday 11/12 hoping to target some flounder around Jones Bay. My wife demanded that I be home early, so I went for the shorter paddle and launched from the I-45 feeder road rather than launching from Louis' Bait Camp (saved 5 bucks, too). Hung around the railroad tracks all morning, but caught only small or otherwise undesirable fish. Hoping to tote my kayak down around Port Arthur during the Thanksgiving holiday for some better luck fishing around Sabine Lake.

Baby drum came along first

Next came a toadfish

Finally hooked a flounder, but he was like a coaster than a doormat
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Couldn't find any keepers in Jones Bay

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I had to get home early today too. Wives...they just don’t get it. Never caught a toadfish. Looks a lot like a sculpin. Good variety of specimens you caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Who wants keepers? They will lead to a big mess and gore spread out someplace on your personal property and most likely an unhealthy fried dinner.

Little fish are where it’s at. No mess, just a photo of a cute fish and off it goes. Everyone wins.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report . Glad you caught some.

You pay to launch at Luis Bait? Kayak launching is free Sir. Save the money and don't pay next time or go in and ask about the fees for kayaks. Sorry you have been paying. I have never paid to launch there, day or night.
W.A.

Post by W.A. »

I asked the guy once and he said $5 for kayak launch. Maybe he didnt like me? Anyways, he shows up late during the week.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Good luck in Sabine. I'll be there too but without kayak. May do some wade fishing around revetments or marsh drains. The Golden Triangle forum has some great guys who might be able to give you some direction (I'm in Austin) if you need it. Texas Bayou, Gulf States outflow, marsh drains on the north end of the lake, Bessie Heights may all be good for redfish and flounder with this recent cold front.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

as long as you're having fun - could be mowing the yard or something
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Sometimes we just gotta get out and catching a fish is a bonus. I would be happy with a day like that. It's been slow for me lately with one keeper flounder caught each the last 2 Sundays. Halloween week I was down for 3 days and got skunked! I didn't think that was possible. lol
I still had a great time and learned a lot about that area though. The fun thing is, next time you go to that same area it will be different in some way, and possibly the big girls will be there to play.
raaalph

Post by raaalph »

kickingback wrote:You pay to launch at Luis Bait? Kayak launching is free Sir. Save the money and don't pay next time or go in and ask about the fees for kayaks. Sorry you have been paying. I have never paid to launch there, day or night.
Yeah, first time I ever launched there the lady practically chased me into the water asking for her 5 dollars haha. I've paid every time since then.

Wag wrote:Good luck in Sabine. I'll be there too but without kayak. May do some wade fishing around revetments or marsh drains. The Golden Triangle forum has some great guys who might be able to give you some direction (I'm in Austin) if you need it. Texas Bayou, Gulf States outflow, marsh drains on the north end of the lake, Bessie Heights may all be good for redfish and flounder with this recent cold front.
Thanks man - I grew up in that area, so I'm pretty familiar with some of the pb-accessible spots, but this will be my first time taking my kayak out there.
raaalph

Post by raaalph »

kickingback wrote:You pay to launch at Luis Bait? Kayak launching is free Sir. Save the money and don't pay next time or go in and ask about the fees for kayaks. Sorry you have been paying. I have never paid to launch there, day or night.
Yeah, the first time I ever launched there the lady practically chased me into the water asking for her 5 bucks haha. I've paid every time since then.
Wag wrote:Good luck in Sabine. I'll be there too but without kayak. May do some wade fishing around revetments or marsh drains. The Golden Triangle forum has some great guys who might be able to give you some direction (I'm in Austin) if you need it. Texas Bayou, Gulf States outflow, marsh drains on the north end of the lake, Bessie Heights may all be good for redfish and flounder with this recent cold front.
Thanks man - I grew up in that area, so I'm familiar with some of the pb-accessible spots. This will be my first time heading out there in the kayak.