Rollover Morning

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Rollover Morning

Post by kickingback »

Launched at the public ramp on Yacht Basin rd next to Rollover Pass about 5 am. Tested the pass shallows for flounder early but no bites. Decided to head to the first big drain on Long Point. On the way landed a nice 16.5" flounder along the grass. Trout were popping the surface so I switched to a skitter v top and caught three small trout. I saw bigger ones hitting top but couldn't get any big ones to bite. Had about 4 hits and misses. The first drain had water moving out but no bait anywhere. Headed back to Rollover and caught another 14.5" flounder along the grass near structure. Drift fished the flats at the ICW and pass intersection. Caught a rat red and a keeper red on tandem Berkley swim shad and a small trout on gulp. Lots of boats joined me after they saw me catching. They were doing well also for the 1.5 hours I drifted. Overall a good morning.
Water temp was 67 degrees. Winds were light up to 8 mph. Tide was going out all morning. Moon was in its last phase before new moon.
If anyone can explain why the flounder are not staged at the pass with the water temp being 67? Is it the water in the bays is warmer and the females have not started to move just yet?
Slayer21

Re: Rollover Morning

Post by Slayer21 »

I only wish I had a flounder hole somewhere. It’s pretty sad for a power boater to pot lick a kayaker lol, anyway WTG on your success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

We need a good cold front to kick 'em off. Congrats on your catches! :mrgreen:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Slayer21 wrote:I only wish I had a flounder hole somewhere.
Go fishing and exploring instead of trying to fill freezer. :-) Right now it is a perfect time to find these flounder holes and potential locations are quite easy to identify on google map.
It’s pretty sad for a power boater to pot lick a kayaker lol
Indeed. :-) There are so many awesome spots on the map I can't access because paddle from the nearest access point is too long. If I had a boat -- I'd be checking a new spot every day. Would very likely mothership, as kayaks are better for exploring in many circumstances.
Slayer21

Post by Slayer21 »

Think I’m just gonna keyboard fish for the flounders, I’m after the freckled giants.

troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Slayer21 wrote:Think I’m just gonna keyboard fish for the flounders, I’m after the freckled giants.

Same here!!