A.D. 2017 Fayette Lake Bassin’ Report 11-12

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

A.D. 2017 Fayette Lake Bassin’ Report 11-12

Post by Cuervo Jones »

The bass fish of Fayette Lake have asked me to tell you all that they’re not interested in Texas rigged worms, Carolina rigged lizards, or Jersey rigged cement shoes. They kindly request you send them sexy shad colored crankbaits. Even the wee ones like ‘em big!
Bass are perverts and like to play with their food before they eat it, hence their love of sexy shad! You can learn much if you just ask the fish you catch what they like.
There was a fair number of boats and a couple of kayaks out today. The one kayaker was loading up as I launched. His wife cheerfully told me he’d only caught one bass in the 2 days they’d been there and it was only 10” long. Giggity. All the boats were bank beaters. Which is fine by me. I usually fish offshore on Fayette anyway. So I had my usual haunts all to myself. I even broke out an old rig I haven’t used in over 20 years. I bought it when I was a fingerling and admired Roland Martin. The reel is from a pawn shop. The rod from Walmart. It brought back nice memories of my misspent youth.
The bass approved.
Keep out of the shallow water. They’re all in 16’ or so.
They give out these cool wrist bands at Fayette now. I felt like I was at an Iggy POP concert.
The sexy shad crankbaits are irresistible to even plastic creatures that are past their prime, like Courtney Cox.
But mostly I caught bass while the bank beaters roared into a spot, cast a few times and then fired up their 200 horse power, smoke-belching, stinky engines, and then roared off across the lake.
That left me and my offshore bass pals to share quality time and compose sonnets for each other. There were no monsters this trip, but I appreciate all my catchlings regardless of size or physical or psychological limitations.
I should also add that this was my first trip with the new Hobie cart wheels I picked up a few months back. They make loading, unloading, and wheeling around the massive PA battleship a lot easier.
Bass are biting, and they should be getting fatter as things cool off. Like me. Go get some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: A.D. 2017 Fayette Lake Bassin’ Report 11-12

Post by txspeck »

Love that lake! Especially in February! Grew up fishing FC when I was a youngster!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Most of your reports are over my head, but there’s usually a line that penetrates the masses of bone and decaying tissue. Today’s was the Courtney Cox comparison.

Someday I want a high output power boat to drive around in circles all day at high speed and not even really fish to have a good time.

Nice job on the bass. I had bass on the brain today. Bass are my new favorite fish. Most of my other fish seem a little stuck up lately.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Basscar guys crack me up. They fish the same spots as each other, throwing the same lures, and never slowing down...just like the guys on tv. Any season, any time of day, they’re throwing the lure du jour into 6” of water to catch 8” fish. I watched them today and it blew my mind. There was not a single person fishing away from the bank. But all the shad bait balls and fish marks I saw on my sonar unit were in and around the creek channels from 16’ to 28’ down. Weird man. Just weird.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report! I love Fayetteville to fish for monster bass! Bring a cast net next time and get some talapia near the boat ramp before launch. Most are about 1.5"-4". Bass and catfish love them! They are the main staple of the game fish there.
I rig up a fish finder and throw the talapia out and sit and wait. My biggest on live bait was about 7.5 lbs! I get my best bites like this about 300 yards straight out from the launch to the main lake. They stage in there to get the bait. I have caught plenty from the pier there as well.
Of course a great spot is the discharge area. With the colder months and water the discharge is a magnet for bass to feed on.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. I love saltwater fishing but fresh water lakes are so much closer to me. I ought to try to get out there more, I'd probably fish a lot more than I currently do.

I was curious, what did you use to put that yellow foam wrapping you've put around one of your rods? I'm guessing it's to make your rod and reel float if it falls overboard. Seems like a good idea if you're not using a rod leash (which I don't). Does it make your rod and reel float even in the fresh water? Looks like you used cable ties to secure it?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Chubs wrote: I was curious, what did you use to put that yellow foam wrapping you've put around one of your rods? I'm guessing it's to make your rod and reel float if it falls overboard. Seems like a good idea if you're not using a rod leash (which I don't). Does it make your rod and reel float even in the fresh water? Looks like you used cable ties to secure it?
They’re “rod floats” that I picked up a few years ago at Bass Pro Shops. They’re held on with little Velcro straps.
In theory, they float the rod and reel. But now that you’ve mentioned it, I never did science to test that hypothesis. I’ll give it a shot next time I’m out. I suspect you could make your own out of a pool noodle and some cable ties. Same material.

krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Great report! I've been among the bank fishers when I go there as well, but really need to move offshore more often. Great sport for good sized bass.