11/4/17 – Hitting the Minor with a Strong Outgoing – Xmas/Churchill

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

11/4/17 – Hitting the Minor with a Strong Outgoing – Xmas/Churchill

Post by shoffer »

I ventured on a solo trip Saturday morning, Nov. 4th to celebrate the Astros World Series victory. My usual partner in crime, DandyDon, was waiting on the delivery of his new refrigerator, so he could not make it; he tried to reschedule, but the computerized system kept hanging up on him. [Aside: In an age where self-driving cars actually exist, you'd think Sears and the cable companies could get that delivery crap down a little better, but I digress.] I got to the launch, and there were four other kayakers preparing for launch, so while I anticipated a solo trip, I had plenty of company, it being a Saturday and all. At one point during the morning, I counted 9 other kayakers in Churchill Bayou. They were a well-behaved lot, however, and certainly helped keep Cuervo's Marsh Witches at bay, so I am not complaining.

I launched at Ernie’s at 6:30 am, with first light not for another half hour. The wind was S/SE at 5 mph, the air temperature was 71 degrees, the weather was partly cloudy, the water visibility 15 inches to 24 inches in places, the water temperature was 69 degrees, increasing to 71 later in the morning. It was my plan to fish a couple of marsh drains in Churchill Bayou during the strong outgoing tide that coincided with a minor feed from 7:35 am to 8:35 am.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (27.62 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Thereafter, I would look for bird action in Cold Pass and just hunt around for some other fish.

I got to my spot at first light, and worked the marsh drains, and it went as planned. Six specks (a small fry, three 15s, a 16, and an 18), two rat reds, a good size sand trout on the troll and a 15-inch flounder in an hour and a half. I kept the 16 inch, the 18 inch the sand trout, and the flounder for dinner, and tossed the others back.
IMG_3440.JPG
I caught them all on a Glo Down South 4 inch paddletail tipped with shrimp Fishbites and some Procure on 1/8oz jigheads. Seems like the specks hit the lure on the fall. I got a couple of blowups on the bone SuperSpook Jr worked about 10 yards off the shoreline, but nothing really committed.

I then ventured into Cold Pass to look for birds working. Nothing. I then headed north trolling the same lures. Nothing. I worked a point that had some birds hitting it where the dirty water met cleaner water, where the tide was ripping around, thinking the color change would be a good ambush point for the fish. Nothing. I then ventured around up north to an area I had never explored. A little shallow for my taste and not enough structure for me so, again, nothing. The wind picked up to about 8-10 mph, the mercury had climbed to about 76 degrees, and I was tired of not catching, so I peddled back to the launch and was off the water by 11:00 am.
Capture.JPG
At the ramp, there were approx. 15 vehicles that were clearly kayakers, with trailers and roof bars aplenty. Apparently, the first day of deer and duck season did not keep the kayakers away, but I did only see two airboats and 5 powerboats (only one of whom was nice enough not to blow by me at 30 mph) and a couple of john boats with duck hunters, so I suppose it could have been worse.

I hope you all got out as well. If so, post a report, even if it is "Stuck a beast last night," with bloody flounder pic, as this is better than nothing. We have to all do our part to make the board great again.

As you were.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 11/4/17 – Hitting the Minor with a Strong Outgoing – Xmas/Churchill

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for your detailed and info-packed fishing report, Capt. Shoffer. I would have joined you BUT FOR the delivery of my new awesome Kenmore refrigerator. Now I've got a "cool" place to store some of those specks, reds & flounder you catch. Feel free to lay them on me and keep up with your reports. We can enjoy your exploits and strategies while we have to work or receive new refrigerators! The TKF board thanks you.
Over and out.
--Dandydon
P.S. I tried to attach a photo of my catch yesterday (white Kenmore Elite) caught on a credit card at Sears... but got glitched on the photo.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report - congrats on getting out, into a secluded spot and into some fish!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report Sir! Thanks for info on SLP area. Was going to fish it next week for the run!
Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks. Very nice report.
bass-a-holic

Post by bass-a-holic »

Nice report!

What app do you use for that nifty tide chart?
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

The tide chart is from tidesforfishing.com. Not sure if they have an app, I just pull it off my browser if I'm on my phone.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Tides4fishing.com.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great report, and thanks for the tide link
NOAA economized this fall and their former great composite plot links for most stations are now gone.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Use that site a lot...
Here are my "planning fishing" sites as I have them linked to view all the info for any area I am wanting to visit.

I get my weather 10 days out for the area I fish most and can change the area with a click of a button...
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/u ... ston/77554

I gt the tide info for the area I fish the most and can change the date and time by a click...
http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/texas/g ... outh-jetty
and wave info...
https://magicseaweed.com/Bob-Hall-Pier-Surf-Report/361/

Of course I always check the NOAA site as they are reliable...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... oLXSVKkg4J

I plan my routes and save them here for later use or exploration. Gives you distance traveled and with sat imagery...
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Then I look at any video cameras for the area the night before and morning of, and you can change cameras with a click...
http://www.saltwater-recon.com/seawolf-park/

And finally, I use Google Earth to scan historical images of the area I am wanting to fish to see the water when it is low and to see structure that fish hold to easily while the water is low. Hope this helps others to plan good trips!
:dance: