Freakishly Hot Day and Heaps of Festively Plump Trout 11-4

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Thanksgiving is coming up fast. Why is Halloween such a “thing” but thanksgiving isn’t? I mean, there’s all the sexy Halloween getups that are so popular, but hey...take a gander at this hoochie-coochie Thanksgiving getup! Gets my heart goin’.
These are the things that fuel my brain on the long drive to the bay every weekend.
Nice weather brings out all kinds. Boaters, hunters, kayakers, and all of them made a beeline for the area I planned to fish today. But that’s ok. I always seem to fish places most people pass by, or ignore, usually on purpose, but sometimes by accident. Today was no exception. I got an early start to beat the crowds.
There were already some trucks at various pull offs along the way, but not at mine. Score!!
A few minutes into my paddle, and my trolled cocahoe was assaulted like a pizza boy delivering to Kevin Spacey’s pad.
Catching a fish right off the bat is usually a bad omen. Like, that’s it for the day, Ace. Might as well just do some birdwatching or underwater basket weaving. I nervously kept paddling to my first spot, filled with dread. Got there and said a prayer to the fish gods.
They were pleased. Though I missed a bigger trout before this one. Cripes! How many times am I supposed to set the hook?! Should have paid more attention to that thread.
After a few minutes, a couple of kayakers paddled by and said hey. Fearing further social interaction, I fled for more remote parts of the bay.
I’d scoped out a spot on google earth that looked like the areas I’ve been catching nice trout lately. Here’s the type of spot where the 20”+ trout have been appearing on the end of my line the past three weeks.
X marks the spot. Boats were all outside the channels, on oyster reefs. Bad. I didn’t see or hear any fish being caught. Because all the trout have been hanging in the channel mouths, chomping baitfish and shrimp. Why? You’ll have to ask them. But they’re there and they’re getting fat.
Witness:
Spotted like a leopard.
Not too shabby. And the VERY next cast:
Can I get a third on the third cast? Sweat poured into my eyes o’er my furrowed brow. I made the cast.
Awwwww yeah! The troot were going nuts for the cocahoe.
In case you’re wondering, here’s the color I use. 4” of fish-maddening greatness. Run, don’t walk to the tackle shop and grab many bags of these. You’ll thank me.
Casting up the channel, down the channel, across the channel. It all works.
And of course, since I’m not a fish murderer, they all get to swim home to their big screen tv’s and layzee boys.
This kept going on and I lost a couple more, and also a nice redfish. Can’t win them all. But there were plenty of troots to keep me smiling and be-slimed.
Incidentally, I scientifically measured the round trip distance for my weekend trips.
None of today’s fish were over 20” except maybe the first one that got off. But they’re getting fatter. Hopefully this winter will be one for the big trout books.
So now you know the drill, TKF. Go find a nice drain with some oyster shell outside the mouth, ignore the wade fisherman and boats on the bayside (they’re misguided and probably addicted to opioids), and put the sneak on the unsuspecting fish in the channel mouth. Oh, also, don’t forget to post a report when you land a bunch of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Freakishly Hot Day and Heaps of Festively Plump Trout 11-4

Post by karstopo »

I like the surprises, twists and turns of your reports along with all the great fish finding information. You take me along on your journeys and I get to see and experience so much I never even knew was there. My wife was just now wondering what I was chuckling about... you know it’s Cuervo, Kevin Spacey, pizza boys...um, I guess you just had to be there.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great funny report & kudos for the kinky Kevin Spacey reference. Just be sure you don't let him sit behind you on your kayak... Creepy!
Your reports contain tactical info, colorful photos & jokes, everything but GPS coordinates. Next time throw us a "location" bone, please... Thank you!
Not being able to fish last week has made me cranky... Tight lines to all.

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Entertaining report, as always! Your cocahoe looks like a mini-trout, so they are eating their young-uns!
Since you are releasing these, maybe these are your buds from previous outings - maybe you should tag them to see how many repeats you get. They may recognize your yak and come by to say 'hi'!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

“Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee.”
—Book of Job
Speckled trout are notorious gossips. So much so, that even the Bible calls them out on it. Most people are too quick to thrust a stringer through their jaws and don’t catch what they’re saying. But if you listen closely, and ignore all the trash they talk about all the other fish, they’ll let it slip as to where the bigger ones are hanging out and what they want to eat (it’s almost always Cocahoes...they chomp them like Oprah in a Dorito factory). By making friends with them, they come to visit most every trip and catch me up on the latest dirty laundry.
Trout are bitin’! Stop reading and go fishing!

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

The Real Troutwives of Galveston Bay. Now there's a reality show I might consider watching, but only if the Big Girls are the stars.

Cuervo, as fellow Houstonian Beyonce would say,
244-Tay_Ham-You_Slay-Web_grande.jpg
244-Tay_Ham-You_Slay-Web_grande.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I fish that area quite a bit and you found them! Love that area for all species of predator fish. Well done.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Hot diggity! The latest front arrived this morning. I strapped on my rocketeer pack yesterday and took a photo of the clouds rolling in as I was hunting for ufo’s.
The good news is that the alien invasion isn’t happening, as I had feared. So I’ll definitely be back on the water marshin’ this weekend instead of fighting martians.

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Thank you Sir Cuervo. An entertaining and enlightening report as usual. I have a two day tournament trip coming up down the coast and was just watching my Big Trout DVD last night to prep. It talked about trout going up into the cuts, bayous and drains when the tides are up in the fall. This report gives me at least one thing to check right away come Saturday morning.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Great report!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I can’t get over looking at the curvature of the earth :shock: . I just sent in my dues to the flat earth society. What now?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It’s a good thing you let those trout go. There’s a raging epidemic of mushy trout occurring on our shores. The plague in Madagascar, Hep A in San Diego, mushy trout here, what’s next?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

karstopo wrote:It’s a good thing you let those trout go. There’s a raging epidemic of mushy trout occurring on our shores. The plague in Madagascar, Hep A in San Diego, mushy trout here, what’s next?
Since you asked, my arch-nemesis, the Crimson Ghost has been up to no good lately:

I’m telling my little cocahoes bedtime stories and tucking them in. They have a big day ahead of them tomorrow.

chiefmike

Post by chiefmike »

Hey Cuervo, Great report!. I have a question for you. That cocahoe you are showing. Is it # 158 salt/pepper/chart tail?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

chiefmike wrote:Hey Cuervo, Great report!. I have a question for you. That cocahoe you are showing. Is it # 158 salt/pepper/chart tail?
That’s a-firmative. It looks enough like a baitfish and a shrimp that it can fool fish eating either. At least, that’s the story I tell myself.