10-29 10-30 Report

fitzclf

10-29 10-30 Report

Post by fitzclf »

Apologies for the late report, have been exploring Drum and Christmas bay with a little bit of success. Any success is just from luck. This past weekend took an Okie visitor on his first bay adventure in a kayak. He had been down once before fishing the Surfside jetties.

Sunday hooked two mid slot reds one on a pumpkin gulp and jig head the other on fresh shrimp and the same jig head. Wind was from the north as we launched around sunrise, bit of a lull then back to the usual breeze from the south. Water appeared to be rising throughout the day, northern Christmas bay.

Monday was a variety, a catfish, a sheepshead, two black drum, and 15 reds all undersize, all with fresh shrimp under popping cork. Wind was mostly from the south the entire day, SLP and titlam tatlum area.

We put in Sunday morning at Amigo Ln and paddled to the north shore, there was a light north wind as we paddled. I dropped a new rod and reel overboard on the way over, there's a reason for tethers no doubt, tried to snag it off the bottom to no avail. Finally arriving at the northern shore of Christmas bay for the first time buddy did great for first time out. We were the only ones around, we secured the kayaks and climbed up the bank. The water was calm against the bank probably about a two feet deep, very clear. We saw crabs and stingrays, buddy tossed a shrimp in front of a stingray and we watched it take the bait, he missed the hook up, the stingray ended up with the tail of the shrimp.

We set off about 60 yards off the bank headed towards Bastrop throwing everything we had. We paddled up to reds, had reds swim under our kayaks, saw them chasing bait to the surface, but could not get even one to look at our bait. Parked the kayak again to take a look around, was standing on the bank, there was a patch of grass up from me about forty yards and about 10 foot out from the bank, I saw a commotion and a lot of shadows around it. The shadows organized into a formation of about 15 mid slot size reds, they were patrolling the shoreline headed westerly, three across and about five rows. Just an incredible sight. Buddy was lagging behind, I couldn't resist and tossed my jig in front of them. The retrieve brought it right in front of them as they passed my location. The lead red closest to the bank clamped down on it, let him swim with it till the tension was there, set the hook. Right place at right time for me, doesn't happen very often.

Buddy catches up with me unfortunately missed the school of reds. Now between us and the ICW is some marsh land. I ask if he is up for some fourwheel drive fishing, he is game, so we drag the kayaks across the grass and mud to the marsh lakes. Bait is going crazy, shrimp mullet jumping, there's thrashing on the edges of the grass. Reds are swimming under the kayaks, next to the kayaks, but couldn't get one to bite. Buddy dangles his lures right in front of them, nothing. I found an entrance to a pool back in the marsh, saw a nice size shadow cross the entrance into the channel passing the pool. Pushed a fresh shrimp on my jig head and tossed it across the entrance, slowly retrieving to keep it off the bottom, sure enough, the freight train came by, 24 incher.

We spent a little more time back in the marsh then dragged the kayaks back to the bay. Now the wind had turned, the clear water against the bank earlier was now replaced by the waves churning and beating against the bank. Paddled it back in.

Monday my buddy was sore from all the paddling the day before but ready to do some more kayak fishing. I ask him if he wants an easy paddle or high probability of catching, silly question I guess. We head to SLP county ramp at day break, paddle out of the park and catch the current towards the bridge, again bait is jump up out the water all around, towards the east there are some big blowups, we are tossing jigs and getting a little tap here and there.

Not much seems to be going on so we head towards the flat area, take a photo op to send pictures to buddy's workmates. Get to a point where it's to shallow to paddle and drag the kayaks for a while, casting here and there when we think we see something working the top, but nothing really going on. Paddle over to the flats at the entrance of titlam tatlum. We wade around for a while, stingrays milling around but not much more going on.

We head on up into titlam tatlum, find a drain toss a shrimp under a popping cork against the bank and wham, nice under sized red. I give my rod to my buddy, he gets a few hits. I rig his rod the same way, swap him rods, and send him up the drain. I toss the cast net a few times and get some mullet. I paddle towards him and I am just about to him when I see his rod bent over. His first red fish! Will end up being under sized and so will the rest he catches from that spot. We were there for a while hoping something a little bigger would cruise by for some excitement. I set up next to him and tossed a variety of baits and nothing. Put a shrimp on and wham. None keeper size but plenty of them, hoped it made up for the slow day before.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

10-29 10-30 Report

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Mighty fine reporting there. Sucks you lost your rod and reel. With it being around Halloween, I think we can all agree that this was clearly the work of marsh witches.
Watch out for them! They’re enticing, but nothing but trouble, buster.
You got major karma points putting your pal on his first red though. Attaboy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wag

Re: 10-29 10-30 Report

Post by Wag »

What a buddy! Great report!
fitzclf

Post by fitzclf »

Thanks guys, guess it was more of a story than a report? Appreciate the knowledge that is shared on the site, figured it was time for me to contribute.

Next year will have to be better on the look out for those October marsh witches, lot less marsh now that the water has dropped!
fitzclf

Post by fitzclf »

Probably more of a story than a report. Contributing my little part for, I've benefited from others sharing, and have been entertained as well.

Agreed, clearly the work of marsh witches, just can't resist them. Lot easier to put the blame on them anyways!