20+ mph winds, falling temperatures, and skyrocketing pressure 10-27

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I watched all week and saw the Canadian front creeping towards the coast. The beaver wind! I know most people stay home when a blast of cold northern air blows through, but by ricky-rack, there’s only so many days I have free to fish. And today was one of them.
Got to the launch and it was still warm and calm. The tide was down about a foot from last week. No boats in the bay. No kayaks or trucks at the usual spots.
I spotted a pair of crawlers but couldn’t get them to eat. Then the wind started to shift and the clouds started to darken the sky. The air cooled a bit. No more fish were to be seen. The wind picked up and started to make whitecaps in the bay. I went paddling to some spots I wanted to see with normal-ish tides. Didn’t really think too much about catching any fish because as I’ve read thousands of times, once that pressure builds and the winds kick in, best to pack it in.
The fish just shut down completely.
Like someone flipped a switch.
It’ll be days till they’re eating again.
So I headed back to the spot I discovered last week when I caught the big trout lady. Figured since fishing is folly on days like this, I’d at least get a good look at the layout of the joint. An oyster reef made a nice buffer to the wind and created a little quiet area behind it where the drain met up with the bay. No hope of catching any trout though.
After all, only a madman would expect to have a good day in conditions like these.
Of course, fish don’t read the same posts and articles we do, so they don’t know what they shouldn’t be doing. I need to learn more about how to catch fish in grungy weather. Odin gave his eye to gain knowledge.
It was getting time to sup and Mrs. Cuervo pinged me to let me know she’s starting the pizza dough. Just as well. There was nobody else on the water besides me. I guess they all know something I don’t.
Hopefully next week will be better.
Hope you all hunker down and keep off the water during these less than ideal conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
h_10

Re: 20+ mph winds, falling temperatures, and skyrocketing pressure 10-27

Post by h_10 »

Awesome post. This weekend starts the best time of the year to fish the flats.

Fish are way easier to pattern in the fall and winter.

Mud, structure, and drains, even better if all 3 are next to deeper water.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

It is ok, dude. There is no shame in getting skunked!
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: 20+ mph winds, falling temperatures, and skyrocketing pressure 10-27

Post by bigbuzzard »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I watched all week and saw the Canadian front creeping towards the coast. The beaver wind! I know most people stay home when a blast of cold northern air blows through, but by ricky-rack, there’s only so many days I have free to fish. And today was one of them.
Got to the launch and it was still warm and calm. The tide was down about a foot from last week. No boats in the bay. No kayaks or trucks at the usual spots.
I spotted a pair of crawlers but couldn’t get them to eat. Then the wind started to shift and the clouds started to darken the sky. The air cooled a bit. No more fish were to be seen. The wind picked up and started to make whitecaps in the bay. I went paddling to some spots I wanted to see with normal-ish tides. Didn’t really think too much about catching any fish because as I’ve read thousands of times, once that pressure builds and the winds kick in, best to pack it in.
So I headed back to the spot I discovered last week when I caught the big trout lady. Figured since fishing is folly on days like this, I’d at least get a good look at the layout of the joint. An oyster reef made a nice buffer to the wind and created a little quiet area behind it where the drain met up with the bay. No hope of catching any trout though.
After all, only a madman would expect to have a good day in conditions like these.
Of course, fish don’t read the same posts and articles we do, so they don’t know what they shouldn’t be doing. I need to learn more about how to catch fish in grungy weather. Odin gave his eye to gain knowledge.
It was getting time to sup and Mrs. Cuervo pinged me to let me know she’s starting the pizza dough. Just as well. There was nobody else on the water besides me. I guess they all know something I don’t.
Hope you all hunker down and keep off the water during these less than ideal conditions.

Good report. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: 20+ mph winds, falling temperatures, and skyrocketing pressure 10-27

Post by bigbuzzard »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I watched all week and saw the Canadian front creeping towards the coast. The beaver wind! I know most people stay home when a blast of cold northern air blows through, but by ricky-rack, there’s only so many days I have free to fish. And today was one of them.

Good report. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice fish - they were probably alll trying to get out of town, and you were in their way

your dues were all paid, too

all my life, my dad has said you can't catch fish at the coast in a north wind, but I've never failed, and the best blackwater day I ever had in the surf was in a north wind, making it great for casting.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

I wish I wouldn't catch fish like that! Some days are just tough Mr. C! :mrgreen:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

My shoulders definitely feel the aftermath of yesterday’s foolhardy paddle into the powerful winds. But since I’m a slow learner, I’ll probably keep fishing whenever I can, regardless of the weather. When I saw that the parking spots all along my drive to the launch were empty and there were no boats or kayaks in the bay, I was all:

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

fwiw, sarcasm comes across as the opposite of humility - not as self-depreciating, but as depreciating others - being straight with others is a sign of mutual respect.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Blue tails and trout maws, I love it. Nothing better than an empty launch either.

Yea, I don't pay much attention to barometric pressure, solunar tables, or any of that. I fish when I have free time and the weather doesn't have intentions on killing me.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that big spec is a beauty.

We've got an arroyo trip in 9 days. The tides are rising all day and SE wind. Looks good on paper
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I was delinquent in noting that as always, no fish died in the making of this report because all my catchlings swam free.
But I still came home with more than I left with. I found this treasure snagged up on some debris in the marsh. A gift from the marsh witches.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

must have married well, Quervo. After a day like that, most women won't let you back in the house without a few fillets.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol:
It seems I find a float on every trip I go out! My collection is growing!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice approach to the report - funny!!
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Well done sir!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I don't remember a trip where I didn't come across a popping or rattling cork or two and occasionally one with a fish still attached. Sometimes, the corks are like mini-buoys anchored to and marking a reef.

Someday, millennia from now, some unknown civilization will chance upon these corks in a dig and conclude that the popping corks were some sort of fertility symbol or maybe jewelry representing a forgotten religion. That's pretty much how archaeology works.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Had to read your report twice to figure out you actually caught all those fish!
Sometimes written sarcasm falls flat due to lack of essential body language. But your TKF Report
IMG_5174.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG (11.96 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
innovations are fun & welcomed.
As for your concluding photo of fine actor Wilhelm Dafoe (starred in "Platoon," "The Last Temptation of Christ," & was the scary Bobby Perú in "Wild at Heart."), I met him about 1995 in NY Central Park at the John Lennon shrine.
We got to talking; I told him I was a fan. Now I'm one of his business lawyers. Small world!
Tight lines; no dead lines!
--Dandydon

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Dandydon wrote:...Now I'm one of his business lawyers. Small world!
Tight lines; no dead lines!
--Dandydon
My previous barrister was the right honorable Saul Goodman, esq. Not sure what ever happened to him. I’ll give you a call next time the flatfoots try to book me reservations at the Graybar Hotel.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ten/four, Cuervo. Plus, if we get together, I'll serve something better than Cuervo (my precious El Recuerdo de Oaxaca, 100% Agave, w/ worm)... Hecho en Mexico, like my girlfriends.
IMG_5175.JPG

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

That’s some might upscale booze. I mostly brew my own from various expired juices.
Failing that, I lick random amphibians that I find on my excursions. Far out.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Failing that, I lick random amphibians that I find on my excursions. Far out.
Be very careful about doing that. Just ask Michael Douglas.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer, I think Cuervo's reference was to the exotic practice of licking rare S. American toads to achieve hallucinogenic Nirvana (if the toxins don't kill you). I've tripped all over the world but have yet to find a good toad-lick!
Call me! Still searching...
IMG_5163.JPG

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I don’t know what the son of Kirk is licking. But All Glory to The Hypnotoad.