Drum Bay Saturday and Sunday morning

Cityfisher

Drum Bay Saturday and Sunday morning

Post by Cityfisher »

So, I wasn't going to report anything but after reading Cuervo's report he asked everyone that went fishing to post up so here I am. First of all, I did not take any pictures at all so forgive me for that. This was one of those weekends I just wanted to disappear, tun my phone off, and have no contact with the outside world while I was down there. And that's what I did. As a matter of fact when I got back on the road I had text messages and voicemails from my friends and my son wondering if I was still alive or not. lol
Got to the launch Saturday around 2:30 to some pretty high water. The water was pretty clear and nice looking for as high as it was. Paddled off to my usual shorelines looking for those heavy reds I thought would be cruising the shorelines. Not one sign. Paddled some more and decided to check out the islands left by the old ICW. Along those edges I got a few pulls from what felt like a flounder but couldn't keep them hooked. One time I actually got him to the yak and as I was reaching for my net he looked up at me, opened his mouth and spit out the lure like he wanted to tease me and then swam off real slow as if to rub it in! As the sun was setting I started making my way back to the truck along the south shoreline and still, no sign of any fish at all until I was almost to the truck I saw a tern doing a little hovering and a couple of dives right on the edge of the grass. I had to back track a little to get to where he was and started throwing a strawberry & white cocahoe paddle tail at the grass line. Sure enough I felt the hit and fish on. Turns out to be a nice 17.5" flounder. I stayed for a bit casting away with nothing else to show for it. I saw some movement in the grass which at first I thought was a big snake. As it slithered through the flooded grass I see it is a very big back of a red fish. Kept casting in the area it was heading to but nothing. It disappeared. The was it for Saturday. Made camp on the beach side, built a big ole camp fire and enjoyed a few brewskies and a sandwich for dinner. Right before daylight I made way back to the same spot. The water is even higher now... and a lot more choppy even though the wind wasn't that bad. Fished pretty much the same way as the evening before with nothing to show but a 13" - 14" speckled trout. Around 10:30 Sunday morning I gave up and came back in. It was a gorgeous night by the fire, the mosquitos came out at sunrise but not to bad that night, and as always good to be on the water. Can't wait to get back out!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Drum Bay Saturday and Sunday morning

Post by kickingback »

Always enjoy a good report! Thanks for sharing! Good day of fishing when you can catch anything I always say. :clap:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Hey that's great and photos aren't necessary, I enjoy a report with or without them. Based on your described track, I believe I saw you out there from a distance because there weren't a lot of folks out there that I saw by the time you launched Saturday. I went in at about 4pm.

From your track, you covered a lot of area I didn't. That's cool about the flounder with the birds marking it. And the redfish back in the grass. I wonder how many more were buried up in that flooded grass?

I kind of wished I stayed until sunset as I always like that time out on the water. My right arm had had it by the time I came on in. A few hours of slinging tungsten pretty much did it in. Anyhow, thanks for posting.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

karstopo wrote:Hey that's great and photos aren't necessary, I enjoy a report with or without them. Based on your described track, I believe I saw you out there from a distance because there weren't a lot of folks out there that I saw by the time you launched Saturday. I went in at about 4pm.

From your track, you covered a lot of area I didn't. That's cool about the flounder with the birds marking it. And the redfish back in the grass. I wonder how many more were buried up in that flooded grass?

I kind of wished I stayed until sunset as I always like that time out on the water. My right arm had had it by the time I came on in. A few hours of slinging tungsten pretty much did it in. Anyhow, thanks for posting.
Surprisingly there weren't a lot of folks out there Saturday or Sunday. One other guy came in as I did that was on an Ascend kayak with a trolling motor. We got to chat a little bit while we were loading up. I don't recall seeing an orange kayak though. That guy was not to far away and got to witness me loosing that flounder. I heard him laugh out loud when I let out a grunt or 2 after loosing it. lol That flounder I did catch redeemed me though and is in my freezer now. :)
I absolutely love the sunsets there. The beauty of it lingers so much longer than the sunrises do.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

You put fish on the end of your line and that is good. Redfish were acting squirrelly. I blame fears of a nuclear war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crusher

Post by crusher »

I was out for only a couple hours with a fishing bud up up north of Amigo Lane in the afternoon. I've never seen the water up there so high - we could paddle all the way across the marshes, in and out of the cuts between the sections of marsh without really knowing they were the cuts/drains. Saw some reds up in grass, but no takers. My bud pulled in one dinner flounder. I went too minimal on tackle, only had plastics and spoons which is no way to coax in a red in those conditions. Lesson learned.