TKF 2000 club

Marshin' redfish, trout, and zombie flounder 10-14

Post by Cuervo Jones »

"Well the emperor is in the pig sty
And the geisha's in the shack
And you better believe I'll hold them there
Till the feds, they pay me back"
Clutch--A Shogun Named Marcus

I've been away from my redfish compadres for too long. Where was I, you ask? In the words of the immortal and much beloved Johnny Cash: "I been everywhere, man. I been everywhere." But today, I made it my one and only driving ambition to get back to the marsh and visit my finned friends and spend some quality time catching up with them. Of course, the haunting light of predawn reminded me that All Hallows' Eve is not long in the future.
I was fully armed to do battle with any spooky goblins or spirits, having just bought a pumpkin-orange, floating landing net. I've seen them around and figured in the spirit of the season, I'll pick one up and test it out. BUT...would I be able to convince any fish to give it a test drive? Hmmmmmm...the tide was super high.
That means fish...and sinister marsh witches...could be ANYWHERE. I got to thinking about all the people who go missing every year. It can't be marsh witches doing all the abducting because people go missing in forests and deserts and houses. ALIENS!!! I hope I don't run into any of them today. I don't want to be poked and probed. Then again, I remembered some aliens I saw on tv once.
Maybe abduction wouldn't be SO bad. Best put that out of my mind though. I'm here to catch fish and eat granola bars...and I'm all out of granola bars. The atrophied paddling muscles are gonna get a workout today, brother. Best get to it:
I had high hopes of spotting a tail or two and throwing flies. I tossed a cocaho on a 1/8 jig head at something busting bait on a shoreline and hooked a flounder. SCORE! Just gotta get him to the Great Pumpkin net and...blammo. He spit the hook. I said bad words.
I realized I should call on my silver bullet, never fail, ever-reliable spinnerbait to summon my copper quarry.
Bam! First ever fish in the pumpkin spice net.
A smaller one showed up too. But c'mon TKF. This is a family-oriented fishing report. Only 18" and up fish in this post, ya savages. Did I mention the tide was preternaturally high? Coz it was.
Stick fish abounded too!
By mid-day, I had covered a LOT of water and caught a fish here and a fish there, but some of my usual spots were unusual in lacking fish. Time to pump some nutrients into my brain.
Aaahhhhhhh. That'll do. Reinvigorated, I managed to pull in a 4-spotted specimen.
Then a couple of smaller ones and then...it got weird. I spotted something floating along the shore looking evil. I peed myself a little and snuck up on it. Could it be?!
Yes! The horror! A zombie flounder!! Lurking and waiting to pounce on the living and make short work of them. I skeedaddled out of there post-haste. You'll not snack on my brains today, undead flatfish from hell! Hahahahahahaa!
That brings us to my next stop. A spot I've seen boats and kayakers pass up because they don't know it's secrets. But I do. And I always stop and throw a cast or two to see who's home. Today it was Pete the trout.
Pete explained that he was curious to try a spinnerbait and see what all the fuss was about. The redfish gab nonstop about how much they dig spinnerbaits. Spinnerbaits and angel dust. Redfish are all criminally insane. Pete is drinking his milk and growing big and strong.
Hopefully we'll meet again this winter and he can show off his bigger, badder self.
I checked a couple more places in the massively flooded marsh, but didn't score any more on the fish front. Though I did see a frigate bird, tons of egrets, herons, ibis, terns, hills, pelicans, and cormorants. Also a couple of diamond back terrapins. Driving home, I realized the evening was a perfect booked to the morning.
I hope you got out and caught some fish. If you did...what're you waiting for?! Post a report! If you didn't, well...get out ASAP and catch some fish. Your brain and sense of well being will thank you. And watch out for aliens and marsh witches! They're out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krfish

Re: Marshin' redfish, trout, and zombie flounder 10-14

Post by krfish »

Great report! Gotta watch out for those zombie flatties!

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

LOL Zombie flounder! Great report. Glad you got out there and caught some nice ones!
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Lol! Cuervo, you are a "Verbal Van Gogh", and I mean that in a good way. You keep it interesting...
The fella that I fish with the majority of the time slipped off to the marsh today too. He said he caught 19 reds and took 3 to the scales. He didn't quite make the top ten, but got the high score on spots with one fish having 7 spots.
Me, I'm trying to balance the delicate transition from the Water back to the Woods for hunting season. I tend to mix the two up a little and take advantage of the Skyward opportunities as well, hence the WoodsWaterSky name.
Good to see you got out for another marsh adventure. Great pics too... Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

19 reds! That's more than I managed. I actually was able to cast a fly to a red in a pond up IN the Salicornia. He bumped it, but wouldn't eat. The fish were spread out all over the place. First time ever there was nobody home at one of my standard hangouts. But the trout was right where redfish usually are. I figured it was a good day to explore and I did find some out of the way redfish loitering joints.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report. The reds were MIA where I was, like I didn't see one. I think they were out enjoying the spoils of rising sea levels.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

karstopo wrote:Nice report. The reds were MIA where I was, like I didn't see one. I think they were out enjoying the spoils of rising sea levels.
That's a drag, karstopo. I only saw actual visual sign of one fish (the flounder that spit the hook). Mullet were everywhere as expected and I saw a few small, swimming crabs just below the surface, but no shrimp. Odd. I'm hoping lower tides in the coming weeks will concentrate the fish a bit more.

Slayer21

Post by Slayer21 »

Cuervo!! I’m getting ready to knock the spots off em. Keep posting and hope to see you out there grindin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

A Slayer21 sighting!
I figured this trout was a good omen for the coming winter. Not a monster, but she got me in the mood.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Trout that size usually have learned a few tricks to throw the hook and make the tussle a fair contest and more than interesting.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Excellent report and very nice trout. I don't know what it was about this weekend but I didn't see one sign of a redfish anywhere Saturday or Sunday.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I put in a call to my redfish buddies today. They said they’re hanging out at a new joint and that if I can fix them, they’ll put their mouths on my hook. As always, I’ll report back.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Really good read, as always, Mr. Cuervo. Have been traveling a little myself and hope to get back out there this week. Would appreciate it if you could put in a good work with your redfish buddies to try my hook as well....
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice work Cuervo

Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

As usual great stuff quervo!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Great report.
LOL. I always love to read your post, Mr Cuervo.
No one can match your technical writing skill.
Please keep them coming.......:)
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Marshin' redfish, trout, and zombie flounder 10-14

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Fishtolive wrote:Great report.
LOL. I always love to read your post, Mr Cuervo.
No one can match your technical writing skill.
Please keep them coming.......:)
You asked for it, you got it!
I just loaded up and am about to head home after another Marshin’ adventure. The tides are still ultra high and the fish are still spread out. But they’re getting bigger!