Great day on Powderhorn.

krfish

Great day on Powderhorn.

Post by krfish »

I was able to make an early morning trip on Thursday. I loaded my gear, and hooked to my trailer. I knew the tides were expected to be extremely high, but the solunars looked good, so I made a game plan in my mind that night. I put in at daylight, and headed for an area that I typically find a few reds, and sure enough I was able to pick up a couple of slot reds right away. All were released after a quick photo op. The bite slowed down, so I drifted out, and managed to pick up a Keeper trout and a few dinks. Then headed to another shoreline I fish every now and again, and on my way there I just happened to glance into a marsh drain and see a giant tail sticking from the water. I immediately stopped and made my way towards the tailing red. Here's where I tried to channel my inner Trail Chaser. I stood up and slowly moved my way through the back lake with this fish, and threw everything I had at him. Wasn't interested. After about 30 minutes he went on his way, and I was left feeling defeated. I went and fished for another hour or so and caught a few more trout. As I started making my way back to the ramp I couldn't help but feel frustrated with my self that I couldn't connect with this amazing fish, but then it hit me. That's what fishing (especially from a kayak) is all about. It's what keeps us coming back again and again. I've been blessed to fish with some great guys, and I always try and learn from them. txvike has been a huge help for me over the past year, and I enjoy our conversations about fishing. Get out on the water, enjoy being in God's beautiful creation, and be safe.

KR
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Great day on Powderhorn.

Post by kickingback »

Well said! Great report! Thanks for sharing.
krfish

Post by krfish »

kickingback wrote:Well said! Great report! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you sir

RedfishHunter22

Post by RedfishHunter22 »

I’ve fished powderhorn a couple of times and have thrown either dead shrimp or lures. Each trip I usually catch a few keeper redfish or black drum . Would live shrimp likely improve the amount of fish I catch? It just expensive so I’ve never tried it but if it catches more fish I’d be down to use it
krfish

Post by krfish »

RedfishHunter22 wrote:I’ve fished powderhorn a couple of times and have thrown either dead shrimp or lures. Each trip I usually catch a few keeper redfish or black drum . Would live shrimp likely improve the amount of fish I catch? It just expensive so I’ve never tried it but if it catches more fish I’d be down to use it
I'm no expert by any means, but I have had some success in Powderhorn using live shrimp during the summer months.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice, enjoyed the report and photos. Repeated refusals from sighted redfish have given me a case of buck fever more than once. I’ve had to paddle away while the fish is still there and accept defeat or risk falling out of the kayak from the shakes. Not sure why the rejection happens, but it’s always good to hear it’s not just me.

Water looks good.
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Well phrased