TCD Early Morning Run

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

TCD Early Morning Run

Post by kickingback »

Launched at TCD to ship channel at 1:00 A.M. Had shrimp and mullet but the fish didn't want the mullet. Bottom rigged shrimp on a fish finder.
Had bites all morning. 7-8 sand trout, 1 hard head, 1 bull red, and 3 keeper reds. Fished tandem rigged Gulp for flounder and nailed two at first daylight on sandy drop offs.
Wind was light at 7-8 mph and a full moon.
The first was the bull red. I didn't want to pick his heavy butt up to take a picture so I wore him out and snapped one of his belly and let him go. The rest I kept except the sandies which were 12" or better! Big sandies!
I fished points and drop offs near rock shorelines.
Nice morning on the water. Quite a few boaters out early after 7:00 A.M. in the general area. Didn't see them catching like me though. They were throwing plastics and popping corks mostly.
screwston420

Re: TCD Early Morning Run

Post by screwston420 »

nice im about to do exactly that tonight.. which launch did you use?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

First public launch on right. Head across to Shoal Point and fish the wind blown side of the point. The whole side is holding. Also around the rock groin spoil areas on points and wind blown sides. Good luck. Let us know how you do!
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Thank you, I definitely will let you guys know. it seems the wind has died down pretty significantly right now
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

LOL Trust me, you will get wind blown over there. Be safe and have fun!
Sullyman

Post by Sullyman »

Yo kickingback, did you use your green light? Curious because considering doing the same as I do the Causeway. Nice catch man.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have green LED's on the outside of my yak and had them on and could see little bait coming in to check me out but would dart off.
I didn't need an underwater light to bring them in. They are there with the deep channel nearby and a wind blown shore with bait. I had large mullet jumping around me out there. Not constant but they would launch a couple of times to get away from whatever was chasing them.
I actually landed the bull red on cut 12" mullet. I cut it into 3 pieces and the first piece caught the bull red. I went to finger mullet and no takers. Then went to shrimp and caught the reds and other fish.
It's just a good spot for the winds right now blowing bait up there for the bigger fish to find easily and get back out to deeper water.
Here are a couple of images to help you better see how the area is. The navionics image shows you the depths and the channel nearby as well as the "hole" where the barges sit. You can see the darker deep areas in the Google Earth image. The lines are the wind direction.
The two best tools to find new areas!!!
I'm planning on going out again Monday Morning, launching about 2:00 A.M. Boyd's bait shop is open 24/7 for the summer and fall crowds. And you don't have to pay the $5 to fish like you do on weekends on the dike. Plus the moon is still almost full.
Sullyman

Post by Sullyman »

Thanks for the info haas. Will put it to use. Heading out Mon night late and fishing thru till morning. We'll be the ones in PA 14's and I plan on dropping a little light, along with my partners green running lights.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sounds like a plan. It's gonna rain on Tuesday morning around 6-10 am. Try to stay dry and let us know how the lights work out there.
Sullyman

Post by Sullyman »

Will do. I can deal with rain as long as the wind cooperates. Caught many a fish in the rain. Lol
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

The reds , trout and flounder were not there today! The winds changed direction from the SSW instead of ESE. The fish moved on to another banquet elsewhere. Only managed 1 keeper mangrove snapper, a whole bunch of big sand trout, big croaker and 1 speck all morning long!
I would look at fishing another location unless the winds change back from the ESE.
youseftaha007

Post by youseftaha007 »

Need a new kayak fishing buddy, previous parter sold his kayak
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

youseftaha007 wrote:Need a new kayak fishing buddy, previous parter sold his kayak
Try starting a new thread and let everyone know what you like to fish for and where and someone will hook up with you I am sure!
I personally fish LONG hours when i go out and usually at night. I am sure we can get together for a trip sometime.
youseftaha007

Post by youseftaha007 »

Hey man thanks for replying! I enjoy both fresh and saltwater fishing, but I am a bit of a rookie at kayak fishing thats why I prefer going with someone and learning along. But if your open to letting me come fish with you that would be fantastic!