TCD Ship Channel

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

TCD Ship Channel

Post by kickingback »

Hit TCD first ramp on right to channel at 0430 with 24 mullet and a pint of shrimp. Headed over to Shoal Point and fished the side with the wind blown tide (SE end of island). Tossed out bottom rigged mullet and dragged Gulp under a popping cork and flounder rig.
Caught my first red "pig" (27.5") on mullet/bottom. Landed another red about 30 minutes later but was small.
Then I caught my "personal best" speckled trout at 25.5". I thought it was another big red but to my surprise this came up!
I caught a few more specks but were just under or a bit over but I tossed them all back. I think it was about 4 in total.
I caught one Jack Crevalle on the Gulp shrimp under popping cork. I caught a few hardheads on the popping cork and shrimp on bottom and then put them both away after catching a few of them.
Throwing tandem rigged gulp to sandy shores hooked two flounder. One came off before I could net him and this one I kept to make my first Texas Slam! I have only been fishing salt for a little over 1 year now so I am glad to finally get my slam! And big girls to boot!
Left at 1030 with a great productive morning for me! So glad!
There were some barges parked next to the island and made for some good hiding area out of the wind and fish the bank for flounder. There is a big deep hole right where the barges are parked. You can see it on Navionics. Looks promising after they move. Will try after they leave next week maybe.
The fish have been there for about 2 weeks and I will bet you they will still be there until the next front or storm. Get out and catch a few if you can!
I may even go again in the morning. I will see.
Tight lines!
Cityfisher

Re: TCD Ship Channel

Post by Cityfisher »

Sweeeet!
I don't know why I never go to TCD. I used to bank fish there all the time many years ago when I lived in League City.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Cityfisher wrote:Sweeeet!
I don't know why I never go to TCD. I used to bank fish there all the time many years ago when I lived in League City.
Thanks! You should! I have taken my gen and lights out there and fished that channel from the dike at night with good luck on trout. Fun for sure!
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Niiiice! Are you getting the trophy trout mounted?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I cleaned and dressed her. I know I will best it someday and then maybe. Thanks.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Not a bad day when you get your PB speckled trout & first Grand Slam! As a fellow quick-learner, I'm not shocked at your high-arc one-year learning curve. Keep it up & you'll have your own dang fishing sponsors.
Finally, kudos on all your live bait tactics which do usually catch fish, conditions be damned. Shoffer knows how to cast-net bait, but we rarely go that route. I fish very lean, no depth-finder apart from my paddle; no crates, rarely an anchor & only 2 rigged rods.
If I need more ammo, I pedal over to Shoffer, ha ha.
Onward, men!
--Dandydon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Congrats!! What a day!!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Congrats on the PB and the trio - also quite a variety!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks fellers! You can catch many different kinds of fish in that area. I saw maybe two boats the entire morning and they were about 1/2 mile south fishing near the rock groin enclosed areas. I didn't notice if they caught any as I was busy with 3 to 4 rods going in all directions.
I had 2 bottom rigs out most of the time and threw the tandem gulps or popping cork waiting for the bottom to bite. It kept me busy switching between rods. The mullet lasted as I had 5 left when I was through.
The fishing is good there right now if you want to catch a multitude of species in one area. And you don't need live bait as lures and gulp are working fine. Even top water from a video I saw of a guy fishing that area. But live bait will probably get you the bigger ones for sure. I forgot to mention I caught a lady fish that morning as well. Should have cut it up to use as bait but the mullet were working so I tossed her back.
It is mostly 3'-5' deep all along the shore. I am surprised there are not more PB's fishing there.
I didn't go this morning so I will be going again on Friday morning. See you out there!
the fish finder

Post by the fish finder »

In general is fresh cut lady fish better than dead mullet? mullet was working that day
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have caught bull reds down in POC at the north jetty on lady fish we caught earlier that morning. It's like candy to them I heard. You can't beat mullet though as it is their foraging staple food.
Boyd's is open 24 hours so I may just go tonight and fish through the morning. The big red and trout I caught were in the dark early morning so they may be there tonight. Will report tomorrow.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Lots of wind last night and this morning forced me to fish around the barges out of the wind and rain. Caught 3 hard heads, one 15" red, and 8 specks ranging from 12"-17". The big ones were not there. Not a single flounder bite. Best when the winds are not making it chop on the shore.