Causeway and Tiki 9/21-9/22

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Causeway and Tiki 9/21-9/22

Post by kickingback »

Man the causeway lights are ALL working now! It looks really good with lights on every pillar. The fish were there as well.
Started looking for sheepshead near the channel close to the pilings around 1730 till dark. Caught a 10" rat sheep and some sort of fish I did not know what it was. Still don't. Will try to research it. Anyway, after my fiddlers and clams ran out it was dark and the trout were everywhere in every light! All small trout unfortunately. Did not catch one over 13". Shame as they were biting on every cast. Just threw tandem rigged Berkley 3" swim shad in firetiger and bluegill. Killer combo in the lights!
I didn't want to wear myself out on dink trout so I moved to Tiki and hit the north side and the first canal and first light I snagged a 23" red. He blotted out the light while trying to get away but I landed him after a short fight. Caught more dink trout in the lights all the way to the west end and turned around and hit a few lights on the way back and still more dink trout. Lots of fish but too small to keep!
I met Scrumptrelecent at Tiki while he was dragging a few lines and back at the ramp at 0100 on return. Nice to meet you brother!! Sorry the bite was so bad. Next time!! No pics right now. I will try to post one of the red in the morning.
Also, there was a C-130 flying low levels over from greens lake to Bayou Vista. Don't know what he was doing but made about 3 or 4 passes I saw and the last one he flew over Tiki and left.
Slept a bit...here's the red...
https://imgur.com/Z6zEP3R
Last edited by kickingback on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sullyman

Re: Causeway and Tiki 9/21-9/22

Post by Sullyman »

Man now you've got me biting at the bit to hit the lights! As far as the C130, they're spraying for skeeters. Not supposed to affect us but stay safe.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks bro! It is a blast with double hooks ups all night on the tandem rig. Hope you get out soon!
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

That C-130 was spraying for mosquito's. The military is stepping in to help curb the population after Harvey.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks. I figure the other fish I caught on clams was a mangrove snapper. Was only 10" so I tossed him back.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Way to go, Kickingback. I have always wanted to fish the causeway lights (and Tiki for that matter), but am always squeemish about strong tides and the BS that comes with anchoring over there.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

We'll do it together some night when it's calm. I look about 10 days out when I plan a trip. I'll post if you want to join me on the next trip. I use the tide and winds to help the paddle as well so I got you covered. :wink:
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

Nice to meet you too. I ended up going back to Tiki Saturday night. I found 3 docks in a row that had lights and all were holding big fish. I fished them for probably 2 hours and I only ended up catching one 23" red. I would sit there and wait for a big one to roll up and I'd cast past and drag my tandem rig through the light but those darn sand trout were so thick they would usually hit it before the bigger fish could get to my bait. This was my first time throwing a tandem rig and I learned my lesson the hard way. I had that 23" redfish pulled up next to my kayak and he made another run. He ended up biting the lower lure so the upper lure slid through my hand and into my ring finger....past the barb. I will never grab the line like that again.

On another note, Thursday night I was throwing into a light and it looked like the light was going to dim out. It got real dark and then this shadow starting rising from the depths. I kid you not, it was a 6' alligator gar that came up and grabbed a gulp of air and then sank back down. It was crazy. I can't wait for the next weekend I get to come fish the lights again.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That is so cool! I saw a few gars out the other night with us but they were only 2'-3'. That is one big gar!!!
Sorry about your finger. Hope it heals well. Did you just yank it out? Ouch!
Those tandems can get you if you don't use a net. I use gloves coated in rubber to help avoid snags with hooks if I am going to handle them on line.
Thanks for the info on the lights. I'm going out tomorrow for some flounder in the ship channel. Some are moving from videos and reports I've seen and read. Of course the "big" run will be after the next cold front I am sure!
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

Yea, I just grabbed my pliers and yanked on it. I had some good adrenaline pumping from catching that red so the pain didn't set in right away.