Trophy in a "Transition" Month - San Luis Pass 9.19.17

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Trophy in a "Transition" Month - San Luis Pass 9.19.17

Post by shoffer »

All of us are aware that September can be a transition month, setting the stage for the normally strong Fall Fishing we all love. For that reason, I was not expecting what happened on Tuesday, but am very happy it did.

DandyDon and I wanted to take advantage of the low winds, strong tides and solunar times, so we pegged 9/19/17 as the day to fish and chose San Luis Pass for salinity and clarity. Water visibility was about 18 inches (better in Cold Pass than Titlum/Tatlum) and water temperature was 79 degrees. Southerly winds were 7-12 mph all day with partly cloudy skies.

We launched at the County Park at 5:45 am, and fished the lights by the campground. We found feeding activity with moderate size shrimp running for their lives, but I only managed a 15 inch speck and a couple throwbacks. Don hooked two Spanish Macks that were tearing up shrimp but they cut him off shortly after being hooked.

At first light, we made our way down the south shoreline and, at sunrise, fished it with no success. We parked on the far shoreline of Cold Pass for a moment, when I spied a flock of pelicans and birds following what appeared to be about 200 reds herding bait and making a wild frenzy on the surface of the water. I peddled furiously to get there, but could not catch up and they scattered. I did see what appeared to a bull red jump completely out of the water chasing bait, so that was a nice consolation prize.

8:30 am approached and we made our way around Cold Pass, disappointed that the major feed that was forecast for the morning was over.
solunar.JPG
From prior experience, and a fishing report from fellow TKF’er Kickingback, I presumed that specks would be hanging around marsh drains as the tide started to fall. By this time, the falling tide had started to drain the marsh, so I decided to troll two lures in about 7-8 feet of water about 20 yards off the south shoreline of Cold Pass near a marsh drain. I had a Queen Cocohoe minnow on a 3/8 oz white jighead tipped with Shrimp “Fishbites” on one, and a Chartreuse down South Lures 4 inch paddletail on a ¼ oz jighead, also tipped with Shrimp Fishbites on the other. I placed the rods in my rod holders on my crate and began a leisurely troll.

About a minute into the troll, something violently hits my Cocohoe and pulls my crate back, nearly tumping it over. I managed to grab my rod and begin fighting this fish. It is pulling drag, but it was not head shaking, so it feels like a slot red fish. After a minute or so, I bring it to the surface, and see a silver flash; it is a huge trout! I tried to net her, but she would not fit in my net, so I drag her aboard. She lays in my tank well of my Hobie Outback without any commotion, as if she knew that being a Big Girl, she was going to be released soon. I stretched her on the side of my yak where I have markings, and she was ¼ inch past the 28 inch mark! I had finally cracked the trophy trout club 7 years into my kayak fishing obsession.
28 Inch Trout Ss.JPG
I radio to Dandydon that I have just landed my personal best trout (prior best was 25 inches), and he snaps a few photos.
IMG_3387.JPG
I land a 21 inch in the same spot a couple of minutes later, but realize my net is gone. Out of the confusion, I must have not secured it, and it floated away. Fair trade to the fishing gods if you ask me.

Don lands a couple of rat reds, and then hauls a 23 inch redfish from a shoreline.
Pickles and 23 red.JPG
I hook into three ladyfish on topwaters and later, a decent size croaker that I threw back. We then troll through Titlum/Tatlum back to the launch, trolling the whole way with no bites.

Yes, September is a transition month, but it is now one that I will never forget.
TigerLandSportsman

Re: Trophy in a "Transition" Month - San Luis Pass 9.19.17

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Congrats, that's a very nice fish
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Now that is a report! A big congratulations to you for your new PB Speckled Trout!! That is a pretty fish for sure! Sorry about your net. That current will steal your gear FAST if not secured like it took my stringer. LOL
Glad the fish were there as many are not having much luck it seems as there are few reports.
Thanks for the pics and sharing!!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Excellent!!
Congrats -
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I was about 300 yards down the Cold Pass shoreline when Shoffer hooked his PB hog trout. My marine radio erupted with Shoffer yelling "My best trout!" Then he said "I'm going to release her," so I zipped over with my cell phone camera to take 3 quick photos.
The final close-up shot accompanies his fishing report & may end up in some fishing magazine!
We worked hard for the few legal fish we caught, but a 28"+ speck makes your trip memorable & fun!
What did we learn? If no bites after a few casts, be willing to move on to new water. Also, don't trash seldom-fished lures like the Cocahoe minnow that produced a lunker trout. Finally, fish with a buddy who is ready & able to snap a decent photo of your trophy fish!
I've had friends do it for me; it's my pleasure to return the favor.
IMG_4794.JPG
Tight lines & solid fish to all.
--Dandydon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

DandyDon - right on as usual!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Love the sunsets there in SLP! Cool picture!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Sunsets are good there, but that was a sunrise, sir!

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice work don, transition month only means the fish are moving to different areas, there has always been some real pigs caught in colds pass in late Aug and Sept.

Congrats on a great fish.

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Congrats on that nice trout!
And DandyDon, the Cocahoe minnow is about all I have in soft plastics, I love em! They are cheap and hardy and the strawberry and white paddle tails have done well for me.
Those and now I have 2 packages of Troutsupport's new lures. Gonna try them out this weekend. :)
rossej56

Post by rossej56 »

Congrats !!!

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Trophy in a

Post by shoffer »

Thanks, guys. Dandydon was there to memorialize the catch, but Shoffer caught the big speck. . Dandydon did haul a brute of a redfish out while blindcasting a shoreline.
Last edited by shoffer on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer, you did catch the 28"+ big speck, BUT don't forget I caught that 23" redfish & did the best I could! Oh my.
IMG_4792.JPG

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Outstanding!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer is a trial lawyer (I'm a business-deal lawyer) who edited his post & corrected THE RECORD! God bless. We all hate getting skunked & let the Record reflect that fact. Now let's go fishing.
--Dandydon

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

All praise to the mighty Cocahoe. I fish them with honor and confidence every trip.