9/18 Galveston West Bay / Dana Cove. The water is clear & the fish are back!

rball5

9/18 Galveston West Bay / Dana Cove. The water is clear & the fish are back!

Post by rball5 »

Got on the water around 7:30 this morning with Dana Cove as my destination. Fished on the way (fish were everywhere!) & must have retied 10 times before finding the right combination. Started with chartreuse gulp shrimp and moved through multiple offerings before settling on root beer gulp shad on twist lock Owners hooks (fantastic hooks, thanks for the recommendations).

I lost what felt like a really good red with my first root beer colored cast into the grass - I'd dunked my reel in the saltwater on a previous trip & taken it apart to clean & re-lube... forgot to tighten up my drag & that cost me a fish. Unfortunately, it's a lesson I can apply today as the reel took another dunk while unhooking a fish.

I didn't catch big fish, but they were big enough to be fun to catch. 2 reds & 2 trout in about 3 hours on the water. My pics make them look even smaller than they were. I didn't bring anything to measure with, but I'd guess the red in the pic was around 20" & the trout was around 16-17". The other two were similar in size if not a bit smaller. I quit fishing today because I ran out of the right color gulp. The fish kept biting until the gulp was so bad it was basically falling off the hook (I've never had gulp get torn up this fast - something was biting pieces off every cast even with a fast retrieve).

Off to Academy for more gulp & a hog trough... released a trout that I didn't think would make it because I wasn't sure it was big enough to keep.

Cityfisher

Re: 9/18 Galveston West Bay / Dana Cove. The water is clear & the fish are back!

Post by Cityfisher »

Good times! The water looks great there and those are some nice photos!
From now til Christmas is my favorite time of year to fish the salt!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 9/18 Galveston West Bay / Dana Cove. The water is clear & the fish are back!

Post by kickingback »

Nice report! That's all I was catching in SLP were dinks. They will be coming in from the surf maybe after the next rains.
Thanks for sharing!