SLP Thurs & Fri

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

SLP Thurs & Fri

Post by kickingback »

Went to SLP to see how the fish were biting. Launched at SLP county park at 1700. Worked the shore in Titlum Tatlum as the tide was going out pulling shrimp from the grass. Caught some dink rat reds and small trout this way working tandem rigged Berkley swim shad. Switched to Gulp in tandem and caught a couple more rat reds.
Spent the night around home lights and the big pier in the middle of Cold Pass as someone was fishing the pier and had the lights on. That pier on a moving tide is a fish magnet. Lots of bait jumping and top hits from fish. Caught a couple nice trout and tied them on my stinky pants stringer and thought I attached them to the yak well. I didn't and the heavy tide pulled them loose and I lost two nice trout and my stringer. Bummer. Didn't take any pics of trout as I was fighting the tides and would take pictures later. Oh well.
Hit John Wayne cut and found some bait and camped for a few hours in the dark, Caught a nice sized hard head cat, 2 rat reds and a small stingray.
Moved with the outgoing tide back to Titlum Tatlum. As I moved I talked to a man that had his lights on. He said "no bait, no fish" So I moved to Tit Tat and found the bait jumping near shore. Tossed the tandem rig along the grass and caught a small Flounder, 2 more rat reds and a small trout.
I moved into the marsh and found some tailing reds. Tossed different lures at them with no takers. They just kept digging in the sand and picking at the shell. Nice to see them there but disappointed they would not strike what I threw at them. Sometimes it happens.
Water was murky and visibility was only about 1 foot. Tide moves well in SLP so any area with moving water was a good spot. Winds were 5-10 mph and barometer was rising.
Pulled out at 1030. Was nice day and night trip for me as I haven't been out all night in a while.
I did not take any pictures this trip as I was mad about losing my stringer.
I threw top, Trout Support's lure, gulp, and rattle traps but got no hits on them. Thought for sure they would get a bite somewhere but next time for sure!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: SLP Thurs & Fri

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the great report, Kickingback. We may be hitting that area this week with the strong tides and good solunar table.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

It should be good. Look for the bait! Good luck and have fun!
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Nice report. Sucks about the stringer though. When you say you camped out did you set up a camp or did you just hang out on the shore a while. I ask because I'm looking to pitch a tent somewhere this coming weekend but am unfamiliar with camping areas. I don't want to camp right on SLP because I heard some sketchy people stay there.
Springfling

Post by Springfling »

I hit the Cold Pass area Saturday. Tides for SLP forecast to be pretty flat most of day. But, it seems you can usually find moving water in the area, due to winds or surge so I don't fret too much about predicted tides there. Lots of ladyfish action in middle of Cold Pass early. Water movement seemed to be primarily moving out, presumably from some surge from SE winds easing up and water retreating. So, found some trout near drains (across from big pier above). I recently received some TS lures and managed to land some trout (in an area typically redfishy). Further up in marshes north of Churchill I also persuaded a 23" red and 17" flounder. Water started to get really warm on way back to County Park, but managed another trout alongside the pier.

Flounder ceviche and redfish tacos were yummy.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Springfling wrote:I hit the Cold Pass area Saturday. Tides for SLP forecast to be pretty flat most of day. But, it seems you can usually find moving water in the area, due to winds or surge so I don't fret too much about predicted tides there. Lots of ladyfish action in middle of Cold Pass early. Water movement seemed to be primarily moving out, presumably from some surge from SE winds easing up and water retreating. So, found some trout near drains (across from big pier above). I recently received some TS lures and managed to land some trout (in an area typically redfishy). Further up in marshes north of Churchill I also persuaded a 23" red and 17" flounder. Water started to get really warm on way back to County Park, but managed another trout alongside the pier.

Flounder ceviche and redfish tacos were yummy.
Awesome! The moving water is really holding the fish right now there. Well done and thanks for sharing!

MMWaggie, I anchored at a cut in John Wayne Pass at a turn that was deep and had moving water and bait. I used my stake out pole to anchor near the shore when the water was low. After 2 hours the water rose 6"! The land I was anchored at was now under water. I sat in my kayak and napped for about 20 minutes while anchored.
I am guessing you could "pitch a tent" on the land there as long as the water is at high tide when you do so that you can place your tent in a dry area. I would look at where I want to launch and the tide movement to get there and use the tide to get back out. Use the tides to help you move or you will be fighting the current against the tide and wind and with the water moving there so fast it can be difficult to paddle! Good luck!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer & I fished the SLP area this morning. Watch for his EPIC fishing report.
Enjoyed your detailed report, KickingBack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Great report. thank you