80 Trout & 2 Redfish, at NIGHT!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

80 Trout & 2 Redfish, at NIGHT!

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer & I were itching to fish, but I felt like a pussy after he made all the TV news channels rescuing 12 stranded flood victims in his Hobie Outback ! I just stayed in my Heights bungalow on the Bayou & watched my studio room flood, kayaks tied up for safety.
Our plan was to fish some W. Bay canal lights about midnight, then head for San Luis Pass @ first light. Our prayer was to find actual salty water holding fish. My handheld salinity meter showed the baywater surface at 14 parts/thousand, but the 5-ft. bottom reading was 17 parts/thousand. Enough to matter.
So we fished our white New South paddletail & curly-tail Gulps bouncing along the bottom. Saw a few fish doing the circle dance around some canal lights, then we started catching a big mess of SAND trout, dang it! Hope my report title didn't sucker you! Hello...
Shoffer is the best night stalker I've ever seen; he caught about 50 & I about 30. Problem is they were all 12-15 inches! Our arms were tired from hooking all those "marine bacon strips."
We kept the 10 largest SAND trout for my Fish Fry tomorrow, & I somehow fooled a 22" & a 21" redfish into biting my white Gulp bounced on that salt(ier) bottom.
I did an experiment pitting my white Gulp against an identical hot pink model. The white out-fished the pink by 10 to 2 (Sandies) caught. I say "White at night is right."
After my onsite fillet job, we saw Shoffer's yak trailer had a near-flat tire! No San Luis Pass for us! We limped to 2 Galveston gas stations whose "auto air" machines just gobbled our 6 quarters, then shut down. Huh?!
Had to hit the Valero in Jamaica Beach for enough auto-air to limp home. We were both quite unhappy about the massive $3 fraud perpetrated on us, two fire-breathing fishing attorneys who know & use Kung Fu to stay mean & hungry. At least we caught SOMETHING. Tight lines to all. Call me if you find salt!
--Dandydon

Check out Shoffer at sunrise & me with some fish heads...
IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_4717.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 80 Trout & 2 Redfish, at NIGHT!

Post by kickingback »

Way to go fellas! Sounds like a good night out as long as you're catching fish instead of trying to find them. Thanks for sharing!
I'm headed to SLP for some night fishing tomorrow. Will let you know how it is.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Congrats on finding fish, maybe not what you hoped for but still a supply for the fry.
Also congrats on getting out and finding some salt!
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Congratulation on the hauls.
Nice pics. Fishhead on stakes.....HaHa
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Fishtolive wrote:Congratulation on the hauls.
Nice pics. Fishhead on stakes.....HaHa
(Don't tell Shoffer! Sometimes he thinks I'm gonzo crazy!
--Dandydon

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

I had very good luck with sand trout during the night with the yellow curly tails gulp. Had the same experience. Besides the excessive amount of sand trout, also got 1 dink speckled, 2 keeper speckled, 1 rat red, and 1 slot red.

On the trailer tire, I had that experience happen to me too at Pirates. Had the replacement tire, but not a tool to take out the nuts securing them to the trailer. Thank God that my friend Bobby had not left yet and had a long pliers that we used to force the nuts open. From that experience I also carry a 12v tire pump that I attach to the cigar outlet. Had blown tons of fuses doing so, but I also carry replacements for those :D
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

You better not ever get between me and a plate of fried fresh sand trout.

More than a day or two old and you can give it to the cat for all I care
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yaklash wrote:You better not ever get between me and a plate of fried fresh sand trout.

Yaklash:
I golden-fried those tiny sand trout fillets the day after catching them--my buddies coulda sworn it was the best speckled trout they ever ate. But the cut-up redfish fillets were quite tasty as well.
I like to hunt 'em, catch 'em, & cook 'em. Count me a fan.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Nice write up for an action-packed, but not very productive, trip - at least for me. Captain Don outfished me like a boss. I hunted for some redfish action all night that night, but nary a nibble as they might say on Downton Abbey.

Let's get out there and get some more, Captain! Got the trailer tire fixed, and I am ready for action.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Dandydon wrote:
Yaklash wrote:You better not ever get between me and a plate of fried fresh sand trout.

Yaklash:
I golden-fried those tiny sand trout fillets the day after catching them--my buddies coulda sworn it was the best speckled trout they ever ate. But the cut-up redfish fillets were quite tasty as well.
I like to hunt 'em, catch 'em, & cook 'em. Count me a fan.
I love to eat almost any kind of fish and, while there's nothing I love more than catchin' speckled trout, as far as eating goes, specks don't stand up well next to fresh sand trout, at least IMO. When my friends and I fish Sat-Sun tournaments, we cook our catch from the day on Sat night. Any non-weigh fish, like sandies or flounder goes right into the fat with the trout and reds and a few of us can tell which is which. :D