East Bay Tuesday Morning

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

East Bay Tuesday Morning

Post by Drifting Yak »

Hit the water early AM on Tuesday, July 25th. Fished back water flats and marshes on an incoming tide working Gulp swim tails and jerk shads up against grass lines. The reds were moderately active throughout the morning but the poor water quality meant that you had to cover some ground to find them. It was a beautiful morning and the clouds kept the temperatures down - but it was still a grind - a wonderful grind! Ended the day with a limit of reds (21", 22" and a very nice 27 incher).

East Bay Reds July 25th 2017.JPG
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: East Bay Tuesday Morning

Post by MobyYack »

Nice. Solids

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Those are some good lookn redfish!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Like Mike indicated there was a lot of fish action, especially early in the morning, but a bit of a struggle to get them on the line. A great day to get out and do some nice exploring. Mike ended up with a redfish limit capped by the very nice 27 incher. I ended up landing 2 reds, one just under 20” and one just over, as well as a 17.5” flounder.

I also had a bonus fish to the boat when I landed my first gar (alligator?). I was blind casting along a channel bank with a curly tail on a jig head when I had a strike, causing half dozen or so bait fish to take to the air. I thought redfish due to the run, then thought a big red due to the strength, but then soon saw the fish and saw it was no red. After a bit of running and shaking that included a couple of jumps I thought he was tired out as I was able to pin him under my kayak with his nose in the grass. The jig was only in his lip I thought that I could just reach down and remove it. As I was reaching for my pliers with a big kick he was gone in a flash. Ok – so he was not tired out. After a bit more battling we got him between the kayaks and Mike got his fish grips into the mouth. Mike, who took the pic from the downwind side, said he stunk – don’t know if that was me or the gar he was referring to!!

A nice day to get out. I was thankful for the cloud cover, but still it was hot!!
Enjoy your next outing.
Attachments
P7250095.JPG
P7250100.JPG
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

Nice report fellas! It is nice to see actual reports on here instead of things that belong in other categories...
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Y'all know I would of joined ya if it wasn't for the wife giving me the option between doing y'all's trip or the upcoming BTB trip out at BHP this weekend. I had to go with the BHP trip. Next time though. Great pics and I am glad to see you guys had a productive day! :)
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks for the kind words gents - always fun when you find 'em!

And we'll make it out there someday soon Mr. Blake. Here's wishing you (and the other folks) a safe and productive weekend during your Bob Hall Event!

PS: And with this I cross the 1000 post mark on TKF! Have learned a lot from from this site so a "Big Thanks" to all you TKF'ers!
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

nice report - thanks for taking the time to post. And yes, it's an alligator gar, fun fish to catch but not terribly fun to take off the hook some times. I caught one on a hula popper once, she somehow got both hooks tangled up in her jaws, that was less than outstanding...

good trip!
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

Chief Brody wrote:And yes, it's an alligator gar, fun fish to catch but not terribly fun to take off the hook some times.
I hear they are good eating too. I haven't tried it myself but I'm not opposed to it.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

I've had gar balls, which thankfully aren't completely eponymic, and they weren't bad. The least impossible meat to get at is harvested from the back strap, which on a large fish presents a challenge not unlike that St. George faced.