Lighthouse Lakes and surrounding area.

Captaindoober

Lighthouse Lakes and surrounding area.

Post by Captaindoober »

Report Conditions:
Tide: Outgoing
Wind: SSW @ 5-10
Visibility: Partly Cloudy

On Wednesday the 22nd of July I made my way down to the Lakes from San Marcos. Departed from the house around 2:30 AM. This would be my inaugural trip to the Lakes, and to Port Aransas for that matter. I have spent most of my time on the water in the Freeport and Galvatraz areas fishing deeper water. I have been reading all the reports from you guys and thought I might give the shallows a try.

Shoved off from the ramp at LL at 6:00 AM. The SSW wind direction set up a perfect drift into the first small lake. I was throwing a bone Top Dog JR, and a Mullet TDJ to start off with. Conditions were right for the top waters but I also must admit that I couldn't keep the grass off of everything else in my tackle bag. (Deep water guy here). No blow ups on top. Started working a pumpkin chartreuse SW Assassin rigged up weedless and had a couple hits but nothing hung on. From there I started working a spoon as high as i could keep it in the eater column (it wasn't a weedless spoon and was rigged with a treble) to stay out of the grass. Nothin'. I prob don't have the eye for them yet but I swear I didn't even see a Red fish from 6 AM until 1130.

So far my first LL trip was a total bust. So I ate the ham sandwich I brought and tried to make a new plan. The sun was getting high and the water was warming, so I set out to find some deeper, cooler, water that hopefully held some mid-day fish. I paddled back out to the shrimp boat channel and decided to set up a drift on the north shore line right along the deep drop off. Bingo! I was back in my element, fishing 3-6 feet of water with a sandy bottom. After a couple casts I set the hook on a chunky 19" trout using a bone/glitter paddle tail. Putting him on the stringer felt good, it was the salvation to my first LL experience, but it didn't end there. From that first fish on I was getting hit about every 6-10 casts. As long as i stayed in the 4-5 foot water depth I was in the money: However, there were a LOT of dinks mixed in with the mature trout. I only boated 2 keeper trout, and lost two keepers in the fight. Right in the middle of the trout action I felt that single, heavy, thump that can only be one thing, the redfish I had driven 160 miles to get. She was a beauty. Caught all my fish from 1130-1230 middle of the day. Caught em hiding out in the deep water. Ill definitely be back.

Tight lines to you guys and gals.

Cpt. Doober
Attachments
20170718_124121.jpg
20170718_121505.jpg
20170718_063859.jpg
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Lighthouse Lakes and surrounding area.

Post by Drifting Yak »

Glad you stayed with it and found 'em Captaindoober! Nice report and pics by the way. Thanks for posting.
Captaindoober

Post by Captaindoober »

Thanks for the kind words Drifting Yak. Good luck out there
Captaindoober

Post by Captaindoober »

Thanks for the kind words Drifting Yak. Good luck to ya out there
JMS

Post by JMS »

Always hit the deep water going and coming from LHL has saved me some days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done! Great report. Glad you caught a few.