Peddling to Hannas Reef?

Epix

Peddling to Hannas Reef?

Post by Epix »

Longtime lurker here, just got a Native Titan 13.5 and was thinking about trying to peddle out to Hanna's reef. Google earth show's that it's 3 miles from Boliver yacht basin to Hanna's Reef. Anyone ever tried fishing there in a Kayak? Just curious...
deleon23

Re: Peddling to Hannas Reef?

Post by deleon23 »

only on boat , never on my kayaks.
too many boats on weekends, including Fridays and all going about 88000 mph.
too big a risk for me on a kayak.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

deleon23 wrote:only on boat , never on my kayaks.
too many boats on weekends, including Fridays and all going about 88000 mph.
too big a risk for me on a kayak.
This!!
Epix

Post by Epix »

I was thinking of trying it but only during the week when it would be less crowded than the weekend. But still not sure if it's worth trying out.
hoghunter14

Post by hoghunter14 »

I have fished it on the weekends, it is crowded and I wouldn't launch in the dark unless you have a really good light. As far as on the reef its just like a boat be respectful and have a good time. I always try and wear bright colors on days that I know I might be in a high traffic areas. Good luck and hope this helps.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

While Hannah's and Big Reef are the more well known (and many would say have more trout on them - arguable), there are a few other, smaller, deep shell reefs much closer to the south shoreline of East Bay. Try looking up Pepper's Reef. There are others. They would be both a shorter paddle/peddle and through less traffic to get there as well as less heavily fished. Admittedly, over the years I have caught better numbers on Hannah's and Big, but often better quality on Pepper's and a couple of the others that will go unnamed :D

Also, it may be a shorter paddle/peddle from Stingaree Marina, at least to some of the smaller deep shell reefs I refer to above, but probably not Hannah's